Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

FPS

Anrik
Anrik
✭✭
Typing /fps will show your FPS in the upper left corner, my question is the two colors it changes between (green and white) usually signify what part of your computer is the limiting factor, GPU vs CPU. For Elder Scrolls Online which color represents which hardware?
  • Nerevariine
    Nerevariine
    Soul Shriven
    Bump - I'd like to know as well.
    "Life has no meaning a priori… It is up to you to give it a meaning."

― Jean-Paul Sartre
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, this is a noob question so my apologies; but what does FPS mean in this context? Frames Per Second?
    Edited by Gedalya on March 31, 2014 5:29PM
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. FPS is frames per second. I also have wondered what the two colors mean.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, but it may refer to how good your FPS is?
    For example, I believe when my FPS was around 10, it was red; whereas when my FPS was higher it was yellow.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Green simply means its a playable frame rate (Green for Go). I think it Drops to white when it goes below 30 fps which is considered by most to be jerky. Personally anything below 45 and I see it has jerky, some 60 fps, depends on ones tolerances. FRAPS employs a similar system.

It doesn't work like SWTORs FPS meter if that's what you are thinking. Best thing you can ever do is turn it off, if it looks smooth then don't fixate on frame rate, ever!

MMOs by there nature tend to be more CPU intensive than GPU. All that may change as there's some mighty looking MMOs on the horizon but historically they are more CPU hogs.

EDIT: Regards saying it goes to yellow and red, I cannot comment cause I've never seen it below 25 on highest settings.
    Edited by Loxy37 on March 31, 2014 5:40PM
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loxy37 wrote: »
    Green simply means its a playable frame rate (Green for Go). I think it Drops to white when it goes below 30 fps which is considered by most to be jerky. Personally anything below 45 and I see it has jerky, some 60 fps, depends on ones tolerances. FRAPS employs a similar system.

It doesn't work like SWTORs FPS meter if that's what you are thinking. Best thing you can ever do is turn it off, if it looks smooth then don't fixate on frame rate, ever!

MMOs by there nature tend to be more CPU intensive than GPU. All that may change as there's some mighty looking MMOs on the horizon but historically they are more CPU hogs.

EDIT: Regards saying it goes to yellow and red, I cannot comment cause I've never seen it below 25 on highest settings.

Yeah, there was a server latency spike for about 5 minutes when my FPS dropped to 7-15...
    I assume red means 'leave this game and assault your internet provider'
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Nerevariine
    Nerevariine
    Soul Shriven
    Hmm yeah, paying more attention, white is above 60 FPS - green is below - then I presume yellow and red.

Would have been nice to see the OP's functionality though ;)
    Edited by Nerevariine on March 31, 2014 5:51PM
    "Life has no meaning a priori… It is up to you to give it a meaning."

― Jean-Paul Sartre
  • Anrik
    Anrik
    ✭✭
    Hmm yeah, paying more attention, white is above 60 FPS - green is below - then I presume yellow and red.

Would have been nice to see the OP's functionality though ;)

Well that would explain it. I have never seen the yellow or red so I wasn't aware those colors were implemented.
  • CodingSquirrel
    Inversus wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a server latency spike for about 5 minutes when my FPS dropped to 7-15...
    I assume red means 'leave this game and assault your internet provider'

Latency doesn't (or shouldn't) have any effect on your framerate. Framerate dips has to do with your hardware, and how fast it can generate each frame. Latency has to do with your game communicating with the server, and giving you updates on where things are and what they're doing.