Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Glyphs don't stack in my inventory

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Don't know if it's a bug or not, but no glyphs stack in my inventory. Is this common, and is it by design ?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on November 8, 2022 4:28AM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Is this common, and is it by design?

Yes.
    I'm but a sarcastic beef jerky. Irony and cynicism are my parents. You've been warned.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Is this common, and is it by design?

Yes.
    Can you explain why? I checked some glyphs in my inventory, and there were no differences between the glyphs of the same type that weren't stacking. It didn't make any sense to me.
  • TiberX
    TiberX
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no explanation! Certain item just don't stack and they never did stack. Like glyphs and siege weapons and armor(weapons) that are completely identical. go craft 5 iron axes an you'll see. Treasure maps are most annoying, not just that they don't stack, u cant even have 2 of the same in the same inventory simultaneously.
    Also stacking issue was raised several times before and remained unanswered.
    Edited by TiberX on November 7, 2022 9:39AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TiberX wrote: »
    There is no explanation! Certain item just don't stack and they never did stack. Like glyphs and siege weapons and armor(weapons) that are completely identical. go craft 5 iron axes an you'll see.
    Thanks for the info. It's a bit disappointing, though, because they fill up my inventory way too fast. I guess I'll have to sell them in small amounts and often, then.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no explanation! Certain item just don't stack and they never did stack. Like glyphs and siege weapons and armor(weapons) that are completely identical. go craft 5 iron axes an you'll see.
    Thanks for the info. It's a bit disappointing, though, because they fill up my inventory way too fast. I guess I'll have to sell them in small amounts and often, then.

They are commonly marked as junk and sold to vendors along with intricate/ornate items. They don't really serve a purpose other than to help players know what can craft it if they disassemble it, the inspiration from disassembling, and the money from selling them to vendors.
    Edited by Dr_Con on November 7, 2022 9:46AM
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of this non-stacking stuff, new crafting mats, random loot drops.. It's almost like you're being gently coerced into buying more inventory space, spending crowns on inventory assistants, spending real money on subs for eso+ and craft bag/extra inventory space.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapons have charge, armor and siege have remaining durability, so that explains how two identical axes can be different.
    For glyphs and treasure maps it looks like some legacy behaviour though. Quite profitable legacy behaviour.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it doesn't seem to make sense. However, I've read that they can be flagged as having different racial styles, even though we can't see the racial styles on their descriptions. I don't know whether that's true or not, but even if it is, I don't think glyphs which happen to be of the same racial style can stack together anyway.
    Dr_Con wrote: »

They are commonly marked as junk and sold to vendors along with intricate/ornate items. They don't really serve a purpose other than to help players know what can craft it if they disassemble it, the inspiration from disassembling, and the money from selling them to vendors.

They can be useful for enchanting trash gear, especially if you're just starting out in the game. I like to use them to enchant trash gear for the endeavors that ask you to enchant a piece of gear-- free glyph, free gear, so no need to spend any gold or use up any raw materials.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    Weapons have charge, armor and siege have remaining durability, so that explains how two identical axes can be different.
    For glyphs and treasure maps it looks like some legacy behaviour though. Quite profitable legacy behaviour.

Weapons only have charge when you apply a glyph to them, not out of the crafting station. Traits do not consume charges, enchantments do. Regardless the same rule as below could apply.

Siege weapons at full health could stack, and only the ones with partial health not stack (unless repaired to full health).

Treasure maps used to stack, then they broke stacking in fixing an exploit, and instead of fixing the stacking they just told us to 'go dig them up as we acquire them smug chuckle'.

And so on and so forth. Cop out as this may sound, the only reason why these items - including glyphs - don't stack is because they... well, don't want them to.

However many times this is been requested - and that makes it many times over many years - it falls on deaf ears.

Edited by ApoAlaia on November 7, 2022 10:56AM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post