The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Eye for an Eye quest

amig186
amig186
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure if this is the right place for these kinds of posts, but I couldn't find anything more appropriate. This isn't about the bug in the quest, but rather a bit of criticism I had regarding the quest's content. Minor spoilers ahead, obviously.

It's starts off well - being able to reminisce with Raz, choosing how to distract the thugs, then getting into the hideout by playing Tribute or breaking in, all while Raz remains his usual entertaining self - brilliant, no complaints here. Then comes the plot twist... and then you just go to the delve and kill her. I really think there should have been at least a short conversation with this person before the fight. Raz establishes her, verbatim, as a legend among the Queen's Eyes, so it would have been logical to ask why such an esteemed royal agent would turn common pirate. Sadly, there is no context or explanation, and this 'legend' is just a throwaway NPC. This seems to tie in with an unfortunate trend of ending quests with a battle against a boss that is hostile by default and can't be conversed with no matter what, even though said boss is usually about as difficult as a common Vvardenfell Nix Ox. I don't have a problem with it ending in a fight in this case, but some more context would have been nice.

Also - what is the deal with Raz threatening you when you ask how the Queen's Eyes are doing? If I recall correctly, Queen Ayrenn makes the player one of her Eyes during the Dominion story, and other Eyes you interact with in the base zones, like Cariel, will acknowledge you as a fellow Eye. I was not entirely sure what to make of Raz's dialogue in Summerset where it doesn't seem like we're included in the Eyes of the Queen anymore, but this bit of dialogue in Firesong seems to implicate that you were discharged for some reason. Oh when and why did I cease to be an Eye? And why did no one inform me? At least a certificate of honourable/dishonourable discharge would be in order.
PC EU
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know if its bugged but once you complete the epilogue and can talk to all the npcs, you can talk to raz again which (dont know if bugged) but gives the exact same dialog as when you finish this quest

however he responds differently when asked what the queens eyes have been up to during the epilogue and mentions something about doing work in black marsh
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know if its bugged but once you complete the epilogue and can talk to all the npcs, you can talk to raz again which (dont know if bugged) but gives the exact same dialog as when you finish this quest

however he responds differently when asked what the queens eyes have been up to during the epilogue and mentions something about doing work in black marsh

Interesting. I just finished the epilogue and I noticed that if I ask him again, he says different things. In one of his responses he even mentions the old Eyes, Cariel, Egranor and Aroz'lai, in another he talks about collecting Kumquats from the Gold Coast for an important mission. One of the responses he cycles through is the aforementioned death threat, so maybe I was just unlucky that I got that one the first time I talked to him at the conclusion of his quest.
    Edited by amig186 on November 9, 2022 9:46PM
    PC EU
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »

Interesting. I just finished the prologue and I noticed that if I ask him again, he says different things. In one of his responses he even mentions the old Eyes, Cariel, Egranor and Aroz'lai, in another he talks about collecting Kumquats from the Gold Coast for an important mission. One of the responses he cycles through is the aforementioned death threat, so maybe I was just unlucky that I got that one the first time I talked to him at the conclusion of his quest.

when i talked to him at the end of that quest, i also got the same threat response, but had a different one during the epilogue
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014