Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mount speed

WavyxMisfit
WavyxMisfit
Soul Shriven
Hi all, I’m quite new to the game and I really couldn’t find info anywhere else so here’s my issue.

When using my mount and activated movement, it works for like 1 second and then the mount slows down. It wasn’t the case when I first played but after I gotten a few newer mounts and started swapping them I noticed this issue.

Is this an issue on my part I know I need to increase speed and stamina but like I said when I first started my Mount could sprint for longer. Someone told me it could be a bug but idk. Any suggestions?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mounts i think always had that tiny extra burst of speed when you first start sprinting before it stabilizes

mounts feel really slow in general unless its like maxed out along with the passive from the alliance war assault tree that adds additional mount speed
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • WavyxMisfit
    WavyxMisfit
    Soul Shriven
    the mounts i think always had that tiny extra burst of speed when you first start sprinting before it stabilizes

mounts feel really slow in general unless its like maxed out along with the passive from the alliance war assault tree that adds additional mount speed

Oh so the only thing I need to do is max the speed and stamina for my mount correct?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    those are the only 2 stats which affect mount running

however if you use the cp slottable that removes mount stamina cost outside of combat, then really the only thing you need is the +speed

or me personally i always put points into carry capacity first because the bag space is more valuable to me lol

a lot of my characters have few to no mount upgrades in general because i hate the 20 hour cooldown on upgrades, im not logging in 9 toons a day to do mount upgrades for 6 months to max everything out and i refuse to buy consumables with crowns (riding lesson scrolls) lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mounts always have a small burst of speed when you press sprint, but pressing and holding sprint is going to get you to your top cruising speed (until you run out of stamina). A new mount with no training is barely worth using if I am being honest. It is so easy to get your character to max speed on foot, that until you have trained your mount up a bit, it may not be worth using if speed is the goal.

A brand new mount will move at 115% of basic walk speed. Sprinting on a mount adds 30% (145 total). A brand new character unmounted will walk at 100%, and sprint at 140%, so there is barely a difference (sprint speed on foot adds 40%). Because you can get your speed to 200% on foot, you need to train your horse 56 times to go faster than that, unless you are using the CP (Gifted Rider) and Skill (Major Gallup) passives. Using those lowers the threshold. There are way more things that add to foot speed than mount speed.

On a mount, there are only 4 things that effect your speed:
    1.Speed training (Time/$$$ gated)
    2.Sprint (governed by stamina)
    3.Major Gallup (Passive from Continuous attack in Alliance Skill line, super easy to get BTW)
    4.Gifted Rider (Green CP, but pretty high up the tree)

That's it, end of list.

There is a link in my signature that explains movement speed caps, both on foot and on a mount.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on November 3, 2022 4:43PM
  • WavyxMisfit
    WavyxMisfit
    Soul Shriven
    Appreciate all the info!!
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also craft adept rider if you are just looking to get around for questing and such or ring on the wild hunt is another good option to help you get around faster but that does require leveling scrying which ... Well it's a grind.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also look out for events that give riding lesson books in their drop boxes. There were a few this year. I stack em in my bank so I have them in case I decide to start a new alt.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also craft adept rider if you are just looking to get around for questing and such or ring on the wild hunt is another good option to help you get around faster but that does require leveling scrying which ... Well it's a grind.

Yeah, Adept rider is a useful set. It gives 2 speed buffs, major expedition (foot) and major gallop (mount). I will say, both are fairly easy to source in other ways, and on foot, you can get to the speed cap without major expedition, but it does make a very convenient low level set for just getting around. Gear doesn't matter that much at low levels in terms of damage, so you will often feel the benefits of utility set more when leveling.

Once you get to level 10, it takes like 5 minutes to do the PVP tutorial (no actual PVP required) which is enough to put 1 point into the continuous attack passive to get major gallop. Major Gallop cannot be compensated for. You will always go faster on a horse with major Gallop. Mount speed is not hard capped as far as I know, but with the tools available, you cant go faster than 287% of walk speed.

Major Expedition can be sourced from various skills or gear sets, but you dont actually need it to hit max speed. You cant go faster than 200% on foot, and there are a lot of fairly easy ways to get there.