The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Permanent Class Specific CP Perks

BenTSG
BenTSG
✭✭✭✭
Now I've heard a lot that Class Identity has been stripped away over time, and a mere little idea just came to mind.

Now with CP 2.0, there is a lot of Perks that you can get, although many it seems fall outside of the 'Meta' and might not be used as much for higher difficultly content such as PvP or what else have you. So what if each class would recieve a CP perk or two in the tree's that suit the classes general theme, as a permanent unlock, and still allowing the usual 4 CP slots? Could maybe have it so the perk levels up it's stages as you level up to champ 160, while still getting the original points you would ('cos lets face it, you don't even 'need' 3600 total points other then to just have loads of stuff to switch out anyways)

These Class 'perks' would still remain in the trees, and would still be able to be unlocked and slotted like normal as any class if you want them as well, but could allow the classes to retain perhaps a little bit of uniqueness to them again.

Dunno, just more random thoughts to come to mind that I figured would be no harm to share. There are smarter people then I who I am sure will find the faults in this
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you do have unlockable always active passives in CP so that part is feasible that said: it would stack cp and lots of people would be naysayers..
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why bind it to CP? Just make it a class perk that's available to everyone right from the beginning.
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea! Could be an interesting way to continuously improve your class, and reinforce the identity of classes. Make Dragonknights even better at DoT. Make templars even better at healing. etc.

Maybe it'd be smarter to have it consume some other resources besides CP. So you'd have an overall CP tree, and 5 separate "Class Points" trees, which level up when you play that specific class.

It would be a substantial source of power creep, so it would likely necessitate across the board nerfs to all players, otherwise the bonuses would just be drowned in a sea of obscene damage, and become meaningless.

Sadly, the ESO community is unreasonably opposed to nerfs, even when they lead to a better game. Power creep is the reason why class identity suffers, after all.

It's not that the classes that lack identity. It's that everything around the classes erases their identity.

No one cares about Nightblade having easier access to critical damage because, in a highly coordinated 12-person group, every single player has reached the critical damage cap. No one cares about Wardens having easy access to a speed boost, because people just stand still and repeat the same actions over and over. No one cares about Templar having the objectively best Area of Effect attack in the game, because end-game players only want single-target damage.

And I think that can only be fixed by:
    • Reducing the base stats of all players
    • Reducing the power gained from buffs and organized groups
    • Increasing the bonuses and effects from class passives and unique class buffs.

Class identity exists. And class identity is fairly well balanced and designed. But endgame optimization is predicated in improving your character's stats so much, even the strongest class-specific elements become a barely noticeable speck.

Edited by Marto on November 1, 2022 7:10AM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1c1sf5f7jqw0.png

I'ma disagree with the above statement. This is a snapshot of the raid comp requirements for hm progs in one guild I am in. Lots of folks in organized groups are not at the crit damage cap and don't worry about it because a nb is part of their comp, I know this because I play nb in organized vet trials. Doing this allows them to focus on other things like raw damage, spell power ect. I don't need to wear sets that buff that because it is already provided so I am now free to use a proc set. Wardens are the preferred healers for a number of reasons but brittle debuff is a big one. People do want templars because they have fast rez which is super useful, they are also fantastic for trash packs which are part of trials especially if you want a quick clear. Vss has tons of trash packs and they are invaluable. There is a reason people spend hour studying raid comps and when you head into endgame content it's no longer "LF 8dps" it's now super specific because each class supplies its own buffs. Necros running elemental catalyst are in most groups because their passive buffs ec and givea a massive damage boost that you would not get with say a warden running that very same set.

The reason that class identity feels homogenized is because of hybridization. It is because all skills scale of your highest attribute and therefore there is no detriment to running all the same skills and weapons. You can just pick the best one as long as you are good enough to sustain.
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on November 1, 2022 9:41PM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1c1sf5f7jqw0.png

I'ma disagree with the above statement. This is a snapshot of the raid comp requirements for hm progs in one guild I am in. Lots of folks in organized groups are not at the crit damage cap and don't worry about it because a nb is part of their comp, I know this because I play nb in organized vet trials. Doing this allows them to focus on other things like raw damage, spell power ect. I don't need to wear sets that buff that because it is already provided so I am now free to use a proc set. Wardens are the preferred healers for a number of reasons but brittle debuff is a big one. People do want templars because they have fast rez which is super useful, they are also fantastic for trash packs which are part of trials especially if you want a quick clear. Vss has tons of trash packs and they are invaluable. There is a reason people spend hour studying raid comps and when you head into endgame content it's no longer "LF 8dps" it's now super specific because each class supplies its own buffs. Necros running elemental catalyst are in most groups because their passive buffs ec and givea a massive damage boost that you would not get with say a warden running that very same set.

The reason that class identity feels homogenized is because of hybridization. It is because all skills scale of your highest attribute and therefore there is no detriment to running all the same skills and weapons. You can just pick the best one as long as you are good enough to sustain.

if my idea to remove all the major and minor buffs and just merge then into a middle value singular buff you wouldnt need such a high variety of classes to milk the most buffs.
    would raise the skill floor and lower the ceiling making it more about individual players skill and stats over "lets max buffs to cheese the numbers"
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.