Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

is Hexos' Ward a good PVP set, also asking for general PvP sets and build advice

Stinkyremy
Stinkyremy
✭✭✭✭✭
Just seen the jewellery is at the golden atm and seeing I have been doing quest I picked up loads of these pieces already.
is this a good set for PvP?

I am mag DK
What are some good sets for mag DK for PVP?
any specific skills for PVP for mag DK which are great now (I know flame lash is broken now)
Also just general good PvP sets in the game ATM.

Just an FYI, I am not really a PVP player and I am a returning player not played for years. Just want to know what are good PvP sets right now overall as well as want to make a PVP build for battlegrounds and just general cyrodiil dailies.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Just seen the jewellery is at the golden atm and seeing I have been doing quest I picked up loads of these pieces already.
    is this a good set for PvP?
    No. Shield cut in half in PvP and only procs every 7 seconds makes this completely useless in that environment. It is a good PvE set for playing it safe without loosing too much damage, especially if playing solo.
    any specific skills for PVP for mag DK which are great now (I know flame lash is broken now)
    Molten Whip
    Fossilize or Shattering Rocks
    Corrosive Armor
    Ferocious Leap
    Flames of Oblivion
    Either flavor of Breath
    The healing morph of Claw
    Volatile / Hardened Armor - resistance skills are a staple of every PvP build
    Also just general good PvP sets in the game ATM.
    Rallying Cry
    Mara's Balm
    Daedric Trickery (for DK)
    Bloodspawn (for DK)
    Wretched Vitality
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Why is this set actually good in PVP now?
    A friend recently mentioned this set to me and I said it was kinda crap.
    When morrowind released I made a full set of gold heavy armour for my tank and I used it for a while but found it to be ineffective simply because it was RNG which buff was active.
    Checking online now it says one of the buffs can proc every 9 secs but lasts for 21 sec so essentially you will always have a solid rotation of the 5 buffs and 3 active.

Did they change this, if so can you remember what it used to be?
    Edited by Stinkyremy on October 29, 2022 1:15PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When morrowind released I made a full set of gold heavy armour for my tank and I used it for a while but found it to be ineffective simply because it was RNG which buff was active.
    Checking online now it says one of the buffs can proc every 9 secs but lasts for 21 sec so essentially you will always have a solid rotation of the 5 buffs and 3 active.

The set was buffed somewhere along the way. You'll typically backbar it and have 2 buffs up at the same time, sometimes 3. DKs use it, because one of the buffs is Major Heroism. Combine with Bloodspawn and possibly (expensive) Minor Heroism potions (Stam / Mag / Minor Heroism) for a lot of ultigen. More ultigen, more leaps (or Corrosive) and, thus, more sustain. The other buffs are also decent for DK, since they don't overlap with anything the class has natively.

I'm not sure Trickery is still meta. Rallying and Mara are arguably the two most meta sets you can slap onto any class, though that's a fairly defensive setup. Vitality is another good back bar set, not least because Whip is now hybrid and you might like to use Resolving Vigor for the Minor Resolve.

I forgot Plaguebreak, which has been one of the offensive sets used by DKs for a while. A typical setup involves 2x monster, such as Bloodspawn, 5x front bar set, such as Plaguebreak, 5x back bar set, 1x Trainee, and 1x mythic item. Sea Serpent's Coil is probably the most meta mythic, though not a personal preference. I'd probably rather go for Markyn or Wild Hunt. Oakensoul is also an option for a one bar build.

Mara can be single barred, but is best used on both bars for maximum effect. That's the one downside. It limits your build options to avail of it's full effect - healing whenever an effect or DOT expires or is refreshed. For example since templar Jabs include a snare that is constantly refreshed, I believe being jabbed constantly procs small heals from Mara. Rallying Cry works well on a single bar, front or back.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not a mag DK expert, though. Burning Spellweave may still be a thing, but I'm not sure. Mist Form may be an option to compensate for being squishy. Race Against Time (Psijic) is something I find it hard to get away from on classes without mobility and without Mist Form. If you are a player who LoSes and blocks a lot, letting enemies come to you, mobility may not matter though.

Everything is possible these days. Build for weapon damage, not spell damage. DK has Minor Brutality, so any damage jewelry enchants should be weapon damage, even when you are a mag DK. By the same token, something like Plaguebreak shoiuld be entirely viable, as is building with a mixture of light and medium armor. The game is almost completely hybridised and you may well choose to hybridise your DK. Corrosive works for mag builds now, but so does Noxious Breath. The kind of compromises I've seen "mag" DKs make might include Burning Embers for the heal, Noxious for the pen, and Shattering Rocks over Fossilize for another heal. Cauterize doesn't seem to be all that good anymore, but Flames of Oblivion is strong. To execute players you will typically want to leap into a fully procced Molten Whip, coinciding with a Flames of Oblivion proc.

People complain, as usual, about the meta being too tanky, but I think while the options are there, healing isn't all that easy. You may well experiment with Vigor and Coag in addition to situational heals, such as from Shattering Rocks. It takes stacking heals, esp. with Mara, to become tanky.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about gear weight now, with the hybrid type of thing going on is there a variable meta for that, I mean does a magika char still have to wear at least 5 light and stam wear 5 medium to compete or is it fine for either just to wear 5 heavy, or 5/1/1 or 5/2 of whatever?

Sorry if it is a bit of a noob question, I just don't really understand the whole idea of the hybrid stuff yet, obviously each weight gives passive buffs in the skill line so we always need a 5 set of whatever, I just don't understand if now a magika can wear medium or heavy armour (in PVP) and still compete.
    I have always been a PVE player and seeing meta builds now where most dds even magika are using duel wielding daggers and/or 2 handed weapons in trials is sending my understanding of the current game and meta out of whack with what the game has always been like.
    Even if the game was originally marketed as "be any race, any alliance, use any weapon and do any role" which is kind of what it is in line with now.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What about gear weight now, with the hybrid type of thing going on is there a variable meta for that, I mean does a magika char still have to wear at least 5 light and stam wear 5 medium to compete or is it fine for either just to wear 5 heavy, or 5/1/1 or 5/2 of whatever?
    You need light for the sustain. I personally wear 6 light and 1 medium on my magblade, for example. For mag DK, though, I think I've seen players use 1 heavy, 3 medum, 3 light. Anything goes, really. The drawback wearing too much light is the vulnerability to physical damage.
    Sorry if it is a bit of a noob question, I just don't really understand the whole idea of the hybrid stuff yet, obviously each weight gives passive buffs in the skill line so we always need a 5 set of whatever,
    Nope. That's gone. The only reason to wear 5 (or more) of a particular weight is to use the armor skill, e.g. the light armor shield, Shuffle, or that heavy armor skill no one uses. However, magicka stacking and shields are kind of dead and you wouldn't likely use Shuffle on a magicka build. Therefore you're free to use anything.
    I just don't understand if now a magika can wear medium or heavy armour (in PVP) and still compete.
    If you wore all medium you couldn't sustain. If you wore all heavy, you'd sustain via the Constitution passive. All medium is not really an option on a magicka build, IMO. All heavy might be, but I can't speak to that. Heavy was nerfed long ago, because it used to be meta in PvP. I don't think it has much left to recommend it. More health. Healing buff. More resistances. Constitution passive. But also vulnerability to magic damage and increased dodge cost. Meh. I personally never liked it. One thing to bear in mind as a DK is that it's medium armor that has the block cost reduction. The Impenetrable trait is so nerfed, Well Fitted (dodge rolling) and Study (blocking) are more important and, while heavy armor increases block mitigation, the hammer for blocking in PvP is mostly the cost. For me it's light and medium all the way, with at most one heavy. More heavy only if I made a set choice that forced the issue.
    I have always been a PVE player and seeing meta builds now where most dds even magika are using duel wielding daggers and/or 2 handed weapons in trials is sending my understanding of the current game and meta out of whack with what the game has always been like.
    Even if the game was originally marketed as "be any race, any alliance, use any weapon and do any role" which is kind of what it is in line with now.
    My PvE magplar does perfectly fine with a lightning staff front bar and Maelstrom fire staff back back bar. I don't parse too well, maybe around 60K, but it doesn't matter, at least not in normal PUG trials and dungeons. I look at Combat Metrics. I'm average to above average. Good positioning and knowledge of mechanics is also important in actual content.

The last I checked, earlier this year, there wasn't that much in it between dual-wield and staves. Bear in mind that the meta is typically marginally optimal, but everyone jumps ship as if the new way is the only way.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BTW, I have been assuming a solo / DD PvP build, not a healer or tank.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I have been assuming a solo / DD PvP build, not a healer or tank.

Yeah dd and for solo imp city, battlegrounds or just zergs in cyrodiil, I have no PVP friends at all.

Kinda funny that while I dont rate PVP very highly in ESO, (if I wanted to play a PVE game I would find a better experience playing the yearly call of duty or any TPS game), the main barrier for me doing PVP at any actual competing levels is the mission it (used to) took to change from a PVE build to a PVP and back again. Time as well as Gold cost too. Changing perks, skills, set and CP.
    Most of my time Is/was spent doing PVE dailies, pledges etc, helping others then waiting for trials.

So the majority of PVP I have ever done are in short intervals where I have purposely set out time to do PVP, like midyear mayhem or when i was doing Imp city (solo) clearing the area. Or sparingly doing daily battlegrounds or levelling alts PVP skill lines in cyrodiil.
    And pretty much all that time apart from 1 midyear mahem where I built a far range archer to tag players in a zerg and snipe XP assists I think I have always ran around in full PVE gear!

So now that they have the armour system where I can change builds on the fly, and despite that I haven't explored it enough yet to see that it truly does change everything on the fly, I can potentially have a tank, PVE dd and PVP dd setup that I can switch on the fly at no cost.
    So I can genuinely get into PVP now.
    Hence why I am asking this question.

Irony is that my main now which I just set up for overland content is actually wearing the old OP meta mag DK PVP set, elf bane!
    I made sure I bought every piece of trash gear of elf bane before sticker book dropped so I had a full set ready (remember inferno staff prices of elf bane), and I had already bought gold jewellery from the golden.
    Of course you would know how important this set is, or was to a mag DK.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @fred4
    Thanks for the info!
    Why is the shield cut in half in PvP?
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zama666 battlespirit. Everything is cut in half for pvp. Combine that with players just hitting harder than mobs and the shield, in pvp, only absorbs half a hit every 7 seconds.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @OBJnoob
    Everything?????
    All my 5pc sets effects are cut in two?!
    What?

Had no idea!

Thanks for the info
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, sorry, I put my foot in my mouth there. Damage shields are cut in half. So is healing. I feel like... Damage isn't? And if your proc set procs you 300 weapon damage or whatever you get all 300 I didn't mean to say you don't.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This set is so good. I tested and tested but deadric backbar, rally cry front bar, usual mytic dmg resist and trainee, bloodspawn monster you will be amazing. I recommend resto staf over vigor not that its better but it plays nicer and gives 100% uptime rally.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only