The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Lag on PC NA is so bad the game is unplayable

theoriginalpickle
theoriginalpickle
✭✭✭
For two days the lag on PC/NA has been horrendous, other people in my guild noticed it but i'm missing out on tickets because i run in the same spot and die after a 1 minute of lagging. Seriously this frustrating beyond all belief

i can't see any notices about surely i'm not the only person suffering and before anyone suggests my internet this is the only game that is affected i'm currently in game waiting for it to register me picking up my writs. I'm watching people run past and teleport and pets just floating in mid air.

At this point i'll have to cancel my sub and give up really disgusting i pay the sub to support the servers but this is stupid.

Edited by ZOS_Bill on November 1, 2022 5:21PM
]I am always the original pickle tickler nothing will stop my merciless reign
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to say internet connection, going off memory of what I've heard in the past. Check your graphics card is updated, if you run add-ons try disabling them then turn on one at a time.
    If on wi-fi might want to run a direct connection, also, if going through a router make sure firmware is updated, might need to reboot it as well.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My lag on PC/NA seems slightly worse than usual. Nothing dramatic. It could be easily explained by fights having more participants due to the event.
  • uberswe
    uberswe
    Soul Shriven
    If you are doing Dolmens or something it might be Refreshing Path causing the lag as mentioned in another thread https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/613191/refreshing-path-causing-terrible-lag#latest

That issues should be fixed on tuesday with the patch
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where in the world are you playing from, and have you checked on your ISP's forum to see if others are reporting current issues with the service?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not had any general lag but twice yesterday my game froze up for a few seconds but then resumed without a disconnection or any other slowing.
    PCNA
  • Mcboland
    Mcboland
    ✭✭✭
    No lag but, got booted and it says server unavailable when i try to log back in.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable is a strong word. I have definitely noticed a bit of overland lag. I basically solo one WB a day for the event, and you can definitely feel it a bit. LAs not always firing, delay on CC break, etc. I would chalk it up to the event. I had one time where the game kinda ruberbanded right at the boss was about to die, and all of a sudden, In was just dead. Annoying at best.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any lag while playing in PC NA lately which leads me to believe that any problem is with your setup. Surely you have internet issues in other games other than just ESO?
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    For two days the lag on PC/NA has been horrendous, other people in my guild noticed it but i'm missing out on tickets because i run in the same spot and die after a 1 minute of lagging. Seriously this frustrating beyond all belief

i can't see any notices about surely i'm not the only person suffering and before anyone suggests my internet this is the only game that is affected i'm currently in game waiting for it to register me picking up my writs. I'm watching people run past and teleport and pets just floating in mid air.

At this point i'll have to cancel my sub and give up really disgusting i pay the sub to support the servers but this is stupid.

Your pc or your internet sucks.

I have an i7 7700 sff retired business machine with 32 gb ram and a low prfile single slot rx 550 2gb card. I get less than 60 fps mostly and i have no issues with lag. Getting tickets just fine. Running dungeons just fine. I have one toon on na plays just swell no issues. 9 on EU all play just great.

Your setup is the problem here. Of this i am sure, because my system is old and soon to be retired in a few years along with windows 10 if it lasts that long.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen my fair share of performance issues on Xbox NA. I realize that you're on another platform but the important details remain the same. On the PC running Windows open a command prompt and type "ping yahoo.com -t" (without the double quotes) and watch the results for about 30-seconds. If you're seeing above 100ms for the response time or if you're dropping any packets at all, your internet is having problems. You can power-cycle your modem/router (may be the same device) to see if that helps. If it doesn't call your ISP and speak with technical support. Make sure your PC is fully patched and reboot it as well. Make sure your drivers on all your hardware is updated. But if it's the internet connection chances are they are the only ones who can fix it. If you're not on fiber chances are you will have problems occasionally and even fast fiber connections can at times as well, although that is very rare. It also matters what your upload and download speeds are and how much of that is being used by other devices in the same household. A good general rule is to have at least 50Mbps for each person in the home who uses the connection. The more the better.

When I play with people who live in remote areas who are on slow, non-fiber connections, they disconnect sporadically and I never do. I'm on half-gig fiber. I may have skill lag at peak server times in PVP and during events, but my performance is much better than that of others with slow and unreliable internet.
    Edited by malistorr on October 28, 2022 7:36PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday night our progression group gave up because our tanks were often unable to block and DPS skill were delayed if they went off at all. Aside from that I haven't noticed much lag.

Oh and back to that trial we were doing Dreadsail Reef and were stuck on the first boss. Usually we breeze right by that one. We wiped a few times and after one wipe the bosses just sat up there in their chairs staring at us. We had to leave the trial and reset. Shortly after that decided there is always next week.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA here. No issues for the past few days.

But I should add I have not been in cyrodiil for awhile so I cannot speak for that area.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is always an issue any time servers fill up to even half the population limit. It doesn't matter which campaign. GH is the worst of course because they have the most players. I have problems in BR even with population at 25-25% of max. Sometimes it's worse than others.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alik'r dolmens certainly bring the lag during this event and previous XP events. 1 fps at times, 999 ping. People keep blithering on about refreshing path in zone chat. Whether or not players are using the skill? Who knows.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Wolfshade
    Wolfshade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two days ago i noticed horrible lag, inputlag and fps drops on booth servers. My Win11 did an majorupdate. After a couple of hours and one MS Update for .net framework later all problems solved and game runs great again. Maybe check for updates.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    Alik'r dolmens certainly bring the lag during this event and previous XP events. 1 fps at times, 999 ping. People keep blithering on about refreshing path in zone chat. Whether or not players are using the skill? Who knows.

I can't help wondering what the attraction of that zone is when it comes to dolmens. There are others that are far more convenient and less populated while being quick to do.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    phairdon wrote: »

I can't help wondering what the attraction of that zone is when it comes to dolmens. There are others that are far more convenient and less populated while being quick to do.

Always thought Alik'r become popular due to the proximity of wayshrines. The lag problem brought on with large groups has not always existed. Came into existence over these last two years and its not consistent either.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had some annoying overland lag on PCNA over the past week. No my setup doesn't suck, etc. This is out of character in overland and noticable.

PCNA
    PCEU
  • theoriginalpickle
    theoriginalpickle
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to say internet connection, going off memory of what I've heard in the past. Check your graphics card is updated, if you run add-ons try disabling them then turn on one at a time.
    If on wi-fi might want to run a direct connection, also, if going through a router make sure firmware is updated, might need to reboot it as well.

I appreciate the suggestions but its nothing to do with my hardware or my internet connection. I should have added in that im in Australia i spoke with my Australian/NZ guilds and they are all experiencing the same thing right down to the minute long delay there is a problem for Oceanic right now and it doesn't seem to be addressed.

I did lodge a ticket but i dont know if it'll actually do anything.
  • theoriginalpickle
    theoriginalpickle
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

But I should add I have not been in cyrodiil for awhile so I cannot speak for that area.

I've not been in Cyro for ages it appears to be affecting Australian and New Zealand players only potentially others in Oceanic areas.
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why fight something you can't change? Just check back in periodically to see if you're happy whenever to rejoin.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the suggestions but its nothing to do with my hardware or my internet connection. I should have added in that im in Australia i spoke with my Australian/NZ guilds and they are all experiencing the same thing right down to the minute long delay there is a problem for Oceanic right now and it doesn't seem to be addressed.

Sounds like a network issue then.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the event, lots of active people farming bosses, dolmens, etc. It's like all zones are mini Cyrodiils.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    PC-NA game is unplayable all evening for me (aussie time AEDT) for the last 3 days, works with just the usual lag at any other time of the day, problem started early today (4pm) I just gave up.

It is impossible to fight anything dangerous with a 1-2 minute lag, very hard to interact with any guild banks, crafting tables or just getting through a loading door. Just using a wayshrine risks being thrown back to the login screen. That this only happens at a time when the server should not be overworked is a bit suspicious, it is not the usual lag caused by the event. My internet speed does not change so pretty sure ZOS is responsible for it, I put a ticket in but I doubt they will do anything. At the time I could not even get a character loaded.

It keeps up, I will just give up trying to play ESO. At this time of year, weather warms up, I am not going to have the time to waste playing ESO during the day, I have real life work to do. I will just go back to playing something that is not so selective about when you can play it.
    Edited by aussie500 on October 29, 2022 11:21AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Last night I was bouncing around between Gray Host, Blackreach, and Ravenwatch trying to get a conquest mission I wanted, and the difference in lag in Gray Host was quite noticeable. And it's always more laggy around ball groups (some more than others) and the hammer.

The seams in Cyro are still there as well. Riding from Sejanus to BRK there is a spot that you will freeze bad enough that your mount will stop, and you have to reapply both the forward and the sprint key. It's easily recreatable.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get much lag but this is the third consecutive day of getting kicked to the login screen after almost every single attempted zone change. My PC and internet connection are the same as they ever were and other online games and services work fine.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a few players closer to the server are reporting minor performance issues which is not unusual, while the two players reporting that the game has been unplayable for a few days are both in Australia, and the OP refers to his/her Australasian guilds reporting the same problem. Posting on the technical forum with traceroutes plus submission of tickets and ISP enquiries etc would seem to be the best way of establishing what the network or other e.g. Akamai issue is currently. This is on the basis that it would seem not to be the server at fault, but rather the access to it. If the server was the issue, it wouldn't just be affecting Australasian players.
    Edited by Tandor on October 29, 2022 7:59PM
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭

ah, ok that explains some things then. Wish I was more helpful on that, good luck with your ticket though.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It sounds like a few players closer to the server are reporting minor performance issues which is not unusual, while the two players reporting that the game has been unplayable for a few days are both in Australia, and the OP refers to his/her Australasian guilds reporting the same problem. Posting on the technical forum with traceroutes plus submission of tickets and ISP enquiries etc would seem to be the best way of establishing what the network or other e.g. Akamai issue is currently. This is on the basis that it would seem not to be the server at fault, but rather the access to it. If the server was the issue, it wouldn't just be affecting Australasian players.

It affects me hard and I'm east coast US.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lag is back today with a much smaller group of players running Alik'r. Very random too.
    Edited by phairdon on October 30, 2022 1:58AM