The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Looking for a new magicka build to play.

LukosCreyden
LukosCreyden
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So, I am looking for a new class to play. Something I can enjoy solo pve (soloing dlc dungeons) and some casual pvp with.

I have tried Magcro, but the class feels far too fiddly in pve and too one-note in pvp.

Magblade, whilst decent, has some of the most boring visuals, I can barely even see any of my spells going off.

Magplar was fine until the jabs change. Am not a fan of the new animation at all.

MagDK is ok, but I really l, really hate the defence buffs. Turning transparent with a giant heart? No thanks. Weird spikes on my back for defence I guess? Nah.

This leaves Magsorc and Magden. I really like the idea of Magsorc, but I hate the daedric pets. I don't mind the atronach, but really am not a fan of the matriarch and the scamp.
Is a no pet magsorc viable for the playstyle I want?

If not, would a magden be a better choice? I do not mind magden, but this whole ice staff business seems really strange and is making me a bit concerned for the class lol.

Overall, I think I would like a magsorc most, on the condition that I did not have to use pets to be able to enjoy the class. Would this be possible?

Any and all advice would be great, as I really want to officially come back from my break, but am so stuck as to what class to play!
Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should probably add, I am not too worried about hitting meta numbers for dps.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magden has a bear, Magsorc has 2 non-bears. Both have pets and both need their pets to function.

I think you should do MagDK because the only complaint is about a skill you don't need to use EVER. Use Vigor for a potential 30k/5 second heal instead of Dragon Blood.

Since you love visuals, going MagDK has a lot of bright, shiny colours for you to enjoy and will be better than the two you asked us to choose between.

For reference I personally play:
    Stamina: Warden, DK, Nightblade, Necro, Sorc
    Magicka: Templar, Nightblade (eventually i'll get the transmute crystals for Necro)
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Frost Warden and quite like it when soloing. I think the skills are visually pleasing too (aside from the Cliff Racer, but I use Frost Reach as a spammable). Admittedly I don't really like the upcoming change that specifically boosts all damage when wielding a Frost Staff from a gameplay perspective and would've preferred it if the Magden was buffed in some other way, but the additional damage Chilled does will be nice. So it looks like a Frostden/ Magden will be in a better spot than it's been for a while now. I'd say it's worth leveling one for sure.

I just leveled a Magsorc to CP too however and intend to turn it into a petless Heavy Attack solo build with the Oakensoul ring, once I've farmed Sergeant's Mail and Storm Master. I did some testing on the PTS and the build I'm putting together does 40K DPS on the 3 and 6 million dummies. So while that's far from high, it should be enough to easily clear the solo Arena's on vet and some DLC dungeons. I did one parse on the Trial Dummy too with the same gear and a pet setup and it did 82K DPS. Again, not high, but it'll be enough for the content I do.

Considering you mentioned you want to do PVP, the Magsorc is supposedly the worst build at the moment though. I'm not sure what the Warden will be like for PVP when U36 drops, but I'm guessing it'll be better than a Magsorc for sure. Something to keep in mind.
    Edited by BasP on October 28, 2022 5:28PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy lightning attack magplar
    I just saw someone solo vet hm scp in 25 min with it
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a top DPS player, but I like playing my Pet Sorc. I would prefer a hunter type from WoW, but this is the closest you can get here (the bear just doesn't do the same).

Nerfed far too much, but works for me.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    my advice? find out what you enjoy playing in pvp and pve separately based off what you told us.