The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please stop matching repeatedly the same players on ranked.

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
The players should never be matched with the same player in the same day. Please stop matching repeatedly the same players on ranked, it doesn't make any sense. The ranked games should be more competitive, and there's no point on repeating lots of matches everyday between the same players. One match per day should be enough. We don't need 10 games with one single player to know who's better. It's not competitive nor fun to be winning or loosing repeatedly the same player, it's just boring and demotivating. Some times it doesn't even seem random and feels like we are permanently bound to a very small group of players.

I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Legends for 5 years and I was never matched with a same player twice in the same day, but in ToT, every single day I'm constantly matched with the same players. It's ok for casual games but an aberration on ranked. Please fix it. Make it more competitive and less demotivating. Learn from what you've already done well in TESL.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they must have copy pasted the Battlegrounds match maker code 💀
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There might not be enough active players during some times of the day to avoid repeat matches. I stopped playing after a month or so because it became boring for me. I'm in 3 guilds and no one I know of plays ToT anymore.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on October 22, 2022 1:51PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There might not be enough active players during some times of the day to avoid repeat matches. I stopped playing after a month or so because it became boring for me. I'm in 3 guilds and no one I know of plays ToT anymore.

That's not an excuse. There's always casual matches if someone is in rush to play. Anyway, the reason there's less and less people playing ranked it's because the whole matching and classification system is an absolute trash.

Also, I believe that most players would prefer to keep waiting for a different opponent while doing other stuff in game instead of being immediately matched with the same player countless times. Like I said... there's always casual matches if the waiting time is a problem.

Even if some players enjoy to get stuck in a loop of matches with the same players, they can always give us a toggle option to select whether to allow repeat opponents on the same day or not.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    The players should never be matched with the same player in the same day. Please stop matching repeatedly the same players on ranked, it doesn't make any sense. The ranked games should be more competitive, and there's no point on repeating lots of matches everyday between the same players. One match per day should be enough. We don't need 10 games with one single player to know who's better. It's not competitive nor fun to be winning or loosing repeatedly the same player, it's just boring and demotivating. Some times it doesn't even seem random and feels like we are permanently bound to a very small group of players.

I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Legends for 5 years and I was never matched with a same player twice in the same day, but in ToT, every single day I'm constantly matched with the same players. It's ok for casual games but an aberration on ranked. Please fix it. Make it more competitive and less demotivating. Learn from what you've already done well in TESL.

Getting matched against the same player over and over used to be an issue in Legends, but development specifically modified the matchmaking system to stop that from happening. So the issue was remedied.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting matched against the same player over and over used to be an issue in Legends, but development specifically modified the matchmaking system to stop that from happening. So the issue was remedied.

Interesting. So this problem happened before and they decided to repeat it here. That's insane. I don't remember it on TESL, maybe it was right in the first year that I wasn't yet so addicted. :smile: But it's something that I never see happening now.

Let's hope they fix it on ToT too.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have the same issue, I keep running into the same dozen or so people regardless if I do ranked or casual, even on different days, a week later, still see the same names. Only one other person I know plays tribute, and several players I've met refuse to even do the tutorial even though they own the chapter. I got my rubedite trophy, got master rank, and then just stopped playing ranked competitively. I've learned that the game is very rng based, even if both players have extensive knowledge of how the decks work/what the good cards are.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twice now I've been matched with the same player 3 games in a row.

The second time I was being matched with a player who I've played several times before and he always beats me. I was rather irritated and commented that we must be the only ones playing. He replied something I considered rude and I replied something even ruder but we kept talking and are now good friends.

But I agree that we shouldn't be getting the same opponents so frequently.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 22, 2022 5:51PM
    PCNA
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twice now I've been matched with the same player 3 games in a row.

The second time I was being matched with a player who I've played several times before and he always beats me. I was rather irritated and commented that we must be the only ones playing. He replied something I considered rude and I replied something even ruder but we kept talking and are now good friends.

But I agree that we shouldn't be getting the same opponents so frequently.

It's weekend, there's an event going on... I don't believe that there are few players on ToT, I think that the problem is in the extremely incompetent matching system has we have been talking. In my case, today, in about 12 to 15 matches I got matched 5 times with one player and 4 times with another. It's boring as hell for all players.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's weekend, there's an event going on... I don't believe that there are few players on ToT, I think that the problem is in the extremely incompetent matching system has we have been talking. In my case, today, in about 12 to 15 matches I got matched 5 times with one player and 4 times with another. It's boring as hell for all players.

Neither of these happened during an event. Besides these I've had other times being matched with the same player two games in a row.
    PCNA
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither of these happened during an event. Besides these I've had other times being matched with the same player two games in a row.

Oh I see now... I was understanding that it had happened today.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I see now... I was understanding that it had happened today.

The only thing I've noticed about the times I've been matched with another player for 2 or more games in a row is that almost all of them happened at night, around 11pm Eastern Time and later.
    PCNA
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There might not be enough active players during some times of the day to avoid repeat matches.
    There's always casual matches if someone is in rush to play.

I don't think that's true, and any matchmaking filter you build as a QoL for prime time players could result in off-peak players having to wait literally three days to turn in the dueling daily for a gold reward box. It would also expose how limited the playerbase is in some areas of the game/timezones, and they don't want that.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have the same issue, I keep running into the same dozen or so people regardless if I do ranked or casual, even on different days, a week later, still see the same names. Only one other person I know plays tribute, and several players I've met refuse to even do the tutorial even though they own the chapter. I got my rubedite trophy, got master rank, and then just stopped playing ranked competitively. I've learned that the game is very rng based, even if both players have extensive knowledge of how the decks work/what the good cards are.

In all likelihood those dozen players are the only people in the ranked queue at your level during the times you play.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    There might not be enough active players during some times of the day to avoid repeat matches.

I don't think that's true, and any matchmaking filter you build as a QoL for prime time players could result in off-peak players having to wait literally three days to turn in the dueling daily for a gold reward box. It would also expose how limited the playerbase is in some areas of the game/timezones, and they don't want that.

What you are saying doesn't make any sense since you can complete easily the dueling daily for a gold reward box in casual. I never do it in ranked. You don't need to do it in ranked.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...you can complete easily the dueling daily for a gold reward box in casual. I never do it in ranked. You don't need to do it in ranked.

I was wondering about that but hadn't tried it in casual yet. That's good to know.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 23, 2022 3:55PM
    PCNA
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »

What you are saying doesn't make any sense since you can complete easily the dueling daily for a gold reward box in casual. I never do it in ranked. You don't need to do it in ranked.

I play at off-peak times on PCEU and both ranked and unranked when I spin, I quite often / *usually* end up playing the same opponent three times. If I was blocked from playing the same person more than once consecutively, I'd probably have to log out and wait until next day. During quite times there really aren't a lot of ToT players online.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE FIX THIS!

I played 5 ranked matches today and got matched with the same player every single time. And at some point I was waiting about one hour before I request another match. I don't need 5 sequential losses to know that a player is better tan me, the system should know too. This stupidity shouldn't happen in ranked, it's ok in casual but not in ranked! Give us an option to select if we want to repeat opponents in the same day or not. When I ask for a ranked match I can be doing other stuff in the game, I can wait, I prefer to wait for different players than get stuck with the same during all my game session. And if I don't want to wait I can play casual. Fix this! It's a total absurd. Learn how to build a proper card game with Elder Scrolls Legends.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE FIX THIS!

I played 5 ranked matches today and got matched with the same player every single time. And at some point I was waiting about one hour before I request another match. I don't need 5 sequential losses to know that a player is better tan me, the system should know too. This stupidity shouldn't happen in ranked, it's ok in casual but not in ranked! Give us an option to select if we want to repeat opponents in the same day or not. When I ask for a ranked match I can be doing other stuff in the game, I can wait, I prefer to wait for different players than get stuck with the same during all my game session. And if I don't want to wait I can play casual. Fix this! It's a total absurd. Learn how to build a proper card game with Elder Scrolls Legends.

Fairly certain this is impossible to fix with the likely low player count in the game mode. I'd wager the majority of players got their achievements and bolted from ToT. You keep getting matched with the same players repeatedly for the same reason BG players get matched against the same player, low participation. The only remedy for that is for more players to play in ranked. But, frankly, ToT got boring for me really quickly, and I only see myself playing it if there are new rewards to earn or new achievements to earn.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I played a ranked game where all of the starting cards were fairly expensive. We basically took turns activating the Crow Patron back and forth until I won by 2 points. The game was over in under 3 minutes. I suppose we could have both just kept swapping out cards for 2 coin each, but I feel like we were both just more interested in getting it over with and moving on to the next game without quitting.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    One of the tactics I use to stop repeat play with the same player is that I alternate matching, so one match I will do competitive, and another I will do unranked. I do not like beating the same player over and over, and likewise I do not like being beaten by the same player over and over. It is interesting when I beat a player and next turn they beat me, but if I feel like not having a repeat I just switch what game mode I queue as.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    PLEASE FIX THIS!

Fairly certain this is impossible to fix with the likely low player count in the game mode. I'd wager the majority of players got their achievements and bolted from ToT. You keep getting matched with the same players repeatedly for the same reason BG players get matched against the same player, low participation. The only remedy for that is for more players to play in ranked. But, frankly, ToT got boring for me really quickly, and I only see myself playing it if there are new rewards to earn or new achievements to earn.

It's not impossible to fix. They just need to put an option in for us to decide if we accept playing the same opponent all day or if we only accept different players in ranked matches on the same game day. That's it. Those who choose this already know that they can be on hold for many hours. I prefer that over constantly playing the same opponent. In ranked matches this is obviously silly and pointless!

If they can't motivate more player to join (which is understandably after they nerfd all rewards), then this should be a way to fix it.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    PLEASE FIX THIS!

It's not impossible to fix. They just need to put an option in for us to decide if we accept playing the same opponent all day or if we only accept different players in ranked matches on the same game day. That's it. Those who choose this already know that they can be on hold for many hours. I prefer that over constantly playing the same opponent. In ranked matches this is obviously silly and pointless!

If they can't motivate more player to join (which is understandably after they nerfd all rewards), then this should be a way to fix it.

Yeah but at the same time, that option is condemning players that didn't enable it to also have long wait times, because now there are less players to pick from. PVP is often like this, and TOT really wasn't well received by most of the player base. Most of the hard TOT players really are a minority within the ESO community. It is annoying, and I wish after 3 games it does not match me with the same player, but its better than waiting a long time to play.