The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread, "Meet the Character—Sir Stefan Mornard"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
vdf64kli49xt.jpg
Official Discussion Thread for Article, "Meet the Character—Sir Stefan Mornard"

"Sir Stefan of House Mornard is the embodiment of chivalry. Learn about this defender of Vastyr in our latest Meet the Character."
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is beautiful and the people who wrote him deserve a mega hug and all my love. <3

They also have fantastic taste! :D

You see, the description of this character sounds almost exactly like my own main character which I roleplayed since the game came out, I actually had to do a double take when reading the article as the similarities are almost uncanny!
    It's of course complete coincidence and I certainly love my knightly cliche's (those exist for a reason I'd say), but I love how this tells me I made a character that fits the setting properly, since I always try to blend in rather than stand out.

My own character always presents himself as a knight first and a lord and heir second (in my case I wrote this as regional customs where addressing one with a martial title is a sign of respect, or some would say courtly posturing - out of character, it is just because I thought Sir was a cooler prefix than Lord, and it fitted the character's vibe better), I thought it was super cool to read a lore character doing something similar.

He also has a love-hate relationship with his scheming lord father, and thinks himself to be more virtuous than him, yet is sometimes much more like him than he would admit or even notice. And in the same way, said father disapproves of his son's adventuring but has not outright forbidden it, because long before he became the scheming aristocrat he is now, he was once a questing knight himself. And again similar to the article, his house also has a long standing feud with their neighbours, just like House Mornard also stemming from the unrest that followed in the wake of Mad King Ranser Branquette's reign. In a similar way, the other side won and his father was forced to bend the knee to his rival and end up below their house in the feudal system.

And last but not least, my character's mother also interested him in forest lore and the old ways, before her disappearance and presumed death. I intentionally kept this mysterious because there wasn't any lore about druids, and sometimes things are more interesting when unknown. But I still wanted to reflect the duality of old vs new faith and the internal conflict that brought, amplifying the inherent dual nature of Bretons. Of course Arthurian legends were my main inspiration, which is also why the Bretons were my favourite race from the start, as they always had that vibe to me!

So all in all, reading about such a similar character down to the little details was a really nice surprise, he will probably be my new favourite character in the game! Or at least, one of them. ;)
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Gaebriel0410 Thanks so much for the kind words and for sharing your character's journey. We shared your comments here with the team and they are beyond thrilled to hear that characters they made have helped to solidify the character you have made.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post