Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why has the sell price of consumables and materials been set to 0 Gold?

Islandpferd
Question in title says it all. In the last beta weekends in which I could participate, I was able to sell consumables and materials for at least 1 Gold per piece which was like a little reward for looking into every crate and basket. But now, in the release version, the sell price has been reduced to 0, so I get the feeling that looking around is pretty worthless now if I'm not trying to craft things right out of the materials and just throw away the consumables. I don't like the change at all... it has always been the TES feeling that even crap was worth at least a very little.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To prevent people making too much gold by running around collecting provisioning materials for immediate sale instead of using them.

And only consumables you pick up (like a stale carrot) sell for nothing. If you make a consumable, it's worth gold.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Islandpferd
    Sounds reasonable, I just don't know how far this gets. I remember other online RPGs where I was like "woot!" as soon as I had a certain amount of gold (like 1 million) just to learn later on that it is absolutely nothing. So I don't know the economy yet, as I haven't been very far in the beta because I didn't want to re-play too much with the same character. I just remember beeing able to buy 1 bank and one inventory upgrade each, which is 1400g, after finishing Stros M'Kai.
    At least it's good to know that crafted consumables can be sold for coin, so I'll probably just eat and drink the stuff I find as a part of roleplaying my character and keep the things I can make better stuff of that sells. It's a good reason to learn crafting after all :).
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    It also encourages crafting. Before you could sell the raw materials for more gold that you sell the chestplate for.

By the reverse of the token... people would break down items and make more money than simply selling it outright to start with.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    @nerevarine1138, While I know that was a part of their reasoning, I don't like it. Crafting materials worth 1-2 gold each isn't going to break the economic system. No one will get rich by selling materials, and the crafted items would sell for more than the sum of their parts (in response to @SenorCinco). Giving the components some value gives players the option to loot without the necessity of crafting. Our only options shouldn't be crafting or deletion. :neutral_face:
    Edited by khai on March 31, 2014 1:21AM
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1
    ✭✭
    This is a ridiculous Idea, you can run around and just kill soldiers and do the same thing, and their are more soldiers in an area than crafting mats. Think about this you had to pick up a 1000 materials to make 1000 gold, I really doubt someone was getting rich off this, not to mention, they could have earned more than that simply from doing missions.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since this thread is back, it's worth noting that the only consumables that don't have a value attached to them are very early in the game.

Even as I progress, I've been seeing that later-level mats and consumables have a sell price.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Charwyn
    Charwyn
    ✭✭
    This is a stupid thing.

People tend to put stuff on a guild store if it has a gold price (even the junk items), they don't put many provisioning regs there.

Also If you can buy the regs from certain vendors, you should be able to trade it back at least. Or to give those vendors a supply, I don't know... Tomato dealership!