The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

But I don't like chaos ball..?

DestroyerPewnack
DestroyerPewnack
✭✭✭✭
Also, on what planet is the weekend 5 days long? I'd like to move there.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 14, 2022 2:18AM
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just do not play chaos ball than.
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 13, 2022 4:09PM
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just do not play chaos ball than.

Oh, wow. Why didn't I think of that?

The point I'm trying to make is, these one-game-mode battleground "weekends" suck. No one asked for them, and I've yet to meet someone who likes them.

If they can be removed, or placed in their own separate queue for everyone to ignore, that would be great.
    Edited by DestroyerPewnack on October 13, 2022 4:13PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still better than the 3-4 months we had to deal with the "DM only" queue, just saying lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    still better than the 3-4 months we had to deal with the "DM only" queue, just saying lol

Agreed. But do you ever get the sense that the player base has been beaten into a position where it can only be grateful that things aren't worse than they currently are?

It's a sad state of affairs.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chaosball only might actually get me back into BGs for a bit. I'm really close on one of those achieves.

I like the weekends that give each person something. I avoided the CTR since I find that boring, but I'm not a huge fan of PvP so the months and months of 'Deathmatch only' was also really bad imo.

Don't worry, We've got 5 game modes, so eventually we will get to the deathmatch weekend. But sometimes, we need to let other people have fun as well.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I like chaosball, so no the game should not revolve around you.
    Edited by SilverIce58 on October 13, 2022 4:33PM
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point I'm trying to make is, these one-game-mode battleground "weekends" suck. No one asked for them, and I've yet to meet someone who likes them.

Here i am. I do like Chaos Ball way more than every dumb "d3AtHm4TcH" (insert Spongebob meme here) variation. Relic Hunt is a close second with a decent team.
    Edited by Kisakee on October 13, 2022 4:30PM
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least it isn't another tank *** fest capture the relic, crazy king, or domination
    Edited by Dr_Con on October 13, 2022 4:51PM
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why everyone is assuming I want deathmatch only. :neutral:
    I'm literally just asking for the option to random queue, and for weekend events to last the length of a weekend, instead of 5 days.
    Kisakee wrote: »

Here i am. I do like Chaos Ball way more than every dumb "d3AtHm4TcH" (insert Spongebob meme here) variation. Relic Hunt is a close second with a decent team.

Yeah, nice to meet you. I didn't say I don't know anyone who likes chaos ball, though. I said I didn't know anyone who enjoys the new weekend format. Get a grip.
    Edited by DestroyerPewnack on October 13, 2022 4:42PM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We ended up with this situation because people kept asking for new pvp content and they couldn't think of any actual new content to do that their servers could handle.
  • Krymsyn_Panda
    Krymsyn_Panda
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why everyone is assuming I want deathmatch only. :neutral:
    I'm literally just asking for the option to random queue, and for weekend events to last the length of a weekend, instead of 5 days.
    Kisakee wrote: »

Yeah, nice to meet you. I didn't say I don't know anyone who likes chaos ball, though. I said I didn't know anyone who enjoys the new weekend format. Get a grip.

I like the new weekend format. When it's a game mode I'm interested in, I use the 5 days to play it to my heart's content. I am looking forward to a chaos ball weekend!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    At least it isn't another tank *** fest capture the relic, crazy king, or domination

Huh?

Chaos ball is the definition of a tank fest. Like, that is the entire purpose of the objective. Be as tanky as possible, hold ball.
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    How dare zos make something that DOESN'T appeal to you. Smh
    Edited by Living_Tribunal on October 13, 2022 6:38PM
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    How dare zos make something the DOESN'T appeal to you. Smh

Yes. Having the option for more variety is catering to me specifically, and only me, at the expense of other players. Amazing logic there. 😂
    Smh
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    Considering no one else has made a post on it, I'd say it's only you.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

If they can be removed, or placed in their own separate queue for everyone to ignore, that would be great.

We had quite of a bit of players asking for event "weekends" (I would also like a 5 day weekend) like this from all of our communication methods. That's why we worked on putting these events together. However, we are still taking feedback on how these can be improved and sharing them with the dev team. Just wanted to clarify that while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, this was indeed asked for by a section of the community.

And we've only had one so far. Chaosball is the second. It's a little too early to come to the conclusion that nobody likes these. We'll be monitoring the popularity over time, reviewing feedback, and make adjustments if needed. But if we don't try, we won't know what the outcome of these events will be.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

We had quite of a bit of players asking for event "weekends" (I would also like a 5 day weekend) like this from all of our communication methods. That's why we worked on putting these events together. However, we are still taking feedback on how these can be improved and sharing them with the dev team. Just wanted to clarify that while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, this was indeed asked for by a section of the community.

And we've only had one so far. Chaosball is the second. It's a little too early to come to the conclusion that nobody likes these. We'll be monitoring the popularity over time, reviewing feedback, and make adjustments if needed. But if we don't try, we won't know what the outcome of these events will be.

Right. But you do realise that if I, for example, didn't like chaos ball, and it was the only battleground game mode on offer, for 5 days, then that means I'm practically locked out of battlegrounds for 5 days?

Why can't we have one event queue, with the 25% boosted AP, and one normal random playlist?

I'm happy to hear that you're still taking feedback.

Edited out last line for mentioning other player. This was not needed to make the point.
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on October 13, 2022 7:08PM
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like something we played in gym class.
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.
    Edited by Living_Tribunal on October 13, 2022 7:01PM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need is a special 'pvp trial' month where:

1. All pvp occurs with pre-set characters - so no builds, no weapon choices, no cp etc you just use a standard template so it's individual skill and not gear. That'd get a few more people to try it
    2. You get a 500% speed boost in Cyrodiil to get from place to place quicker
    3. Rewards are super cool boxes that drop the pvp battleground motifs among other things
    4. +100% Alliance Points, scaling up to +500% based on how few alliance points your account has ever earned.

Oh? It's just 5 days of Chaosball instead... okay.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right. But you do realise that if I, for example, didn't like chaos ball, and it was the only battleground game mode on offer, for 5 days, then that means I'm practically locked out of battlegrounds for 5 days?

Why can't we have one event queue, with the 25% boosted AP, and one normal random playlist?

I'm happy to hear that you're still taking feedback. Old @Living_Tribunal here thinks feedback is entitlement or something. 😂

I mentioned it in the original BG weekend thread from the Relic weekend, but it also applies here as well.

The problem with the way these weekends are designed is worse than just locking players out of game modes.

There is an inherent, structural difference between the objective modes and DM. You can have a singled out DM queue, and players who are "built" for the queue are players who are built to be both tanky and powerful. It provides a balance between the two extremes, where moving in one direction or the other changes the way you contribute to a match in a meaningful way.

For the objective modes, when you single them out, and make them the only option, players only need to build around that specific objective for a build. And what do all of the objective modes value over anything? Tankiness.

Relic, being tanky means you can stall a match by just bash camping your relics.
    Chaos, being tanky means you can just hold the ball the entire match. Even with the relic damage you can be unkillable. Even on my shield stacking sorc, I can hold a chaos ball for nearly 2 minutes just turtling up and spamming heals and shields. Or just running around the map as fast as possible.

Even Dom and Crazy King matches can be completely stalled out with tankiness. Or just running away as a strat.

At least with DM, you can ignore a tanky character and still complete the objectives of killing other players. With objective modes, the tankiness is a direct impediment to the objective. Making it a complete mess when you can prepare specifically for that objective.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To follow up on the criticism of the siloed game modes.

I think a more practical approach would be to implement an "event" queue for these weekends.

Basically, as someone else mentioned, an extra queue that you can join that has the featured game mode only. But with like triple AP or something to incentivize it more. Because as it is, the minimal AP gain for it doesn't really make it worth the headache.

But also, it should go beyond just "here's a specific game type" and should be more flavored. Things like double damage weekend. Exploding players weekend. CP enabled. All gear disabled. Halved healing. Extra mitigation.

Just crazy shake ups that aren't just rehashing normal game modes.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on your side OP. I like every game mode really, but I don't know why these weekends last 5 days.

I mean I guess two days isn't a long enough sample size for whatever test they're doing but... I mean, so don't call it a weekend.

I'm sure I can think of something slightly better. 5 days... 5 days... Hmm, oh, I know. Its called a WEEK.
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like them tbh it makes BGs more interesting for a weekend!

I'm currently playing with squishy glasscannon builds so I can't carry the ball much, but it's very fun to hunt down ball carriers or protect my team members by killing off their chasers.
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Something about this sounds very... non-Elder Scrolls to me. :neutral: I don't know I'll skip, which is ok. I don't know, a ball game, a card game, I don't know what is all this?
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure people asked for special event weekends, cause you know, maybe they have felt ignored for years content wise, at least. I don't think anyone asked for 5 days of chaosball only, at the detriment of the significant portion of the bg community that prefer DM. At least if the random queue was still active, people might have a chance to not be subjected to chaosball.

On another note, is 56k health on my polar wind, stage 3vamp, pariah maras balm warden enough, or should I aim for more?
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Crazy King weekend next I hope, and no one likes chaosball really save for a couple of classes that have know bugs on them that give an edge.
    Edited by RedTalon on October 13, 2022 11:31PM
  • LMarshall910
    LMarshall910
    ✭✭
    Personally I like the idea of these event weekends. I'm not a huge fan of deathmatches though so forcing them to be for example Chaosball only is great. I usually play pve, dungeons and do some crafting so the fact that this is running alongside the Explorers event is a bit annoying. I'd like to get to pvp rank 50, and these BG events definitely help that with the AP boost, but doing them at the same time as an effective pve event, I'm always going to opt for the pve option. Is there no chance these events can be alternated around somehow with some form of a schedule? Also, limiting to "the weekend" kind of sucks for those who work during the week as if I'm playing a lot at the weekend chances ate I want to do sone dungeons or trials, but in an evening in the week BGs are easy wins as they only last 10-15 mins rather than 45 mins-1hr. Overall I'd say I'm happy with the BG events, just thought I'd add my two cents. :-)
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think you guys are doing fine with this event, it’s good to shake things up and maybe inspire to try something new. Honestly the only downside, and it’s barely one at all, is the bonus AP is lower than expected, but grateful for it nonetheless. My alliance skills are sitting at 9, so any little bit helps. Thanks for the hard work putting these together and your explanation too!
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Dr_Con wrote: »

Huh?

Chaos ball is the definition of a tank fest. Like, that is the entire purpose of the objective. Be as tanky as possible, hold ball.

The person with the ball takes continuous damage, this damage is also spread to teammates who stack on them. I don't think it's possible to get more than 150 points before the ball bearer dies, no matter how tanky you are. It's less of a stand in one spot and survive game like domination/crazy king or stand in one spot and continuously bash game like Capture the Relic... terrain and mobility are important, as well as incoming damage and duration of holding the ball.

Your same argument could be made about Deathmatch as well as the group that dies the least also gives up the fewest points, allowing your team to burst down weaker targets, but fact of the matter is that chaosball is not as terrible with this tank meta as the first three game modes I mentioned.
    Edited by Dr_Con on October 14, 2022 1:30AM