The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maras balm

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
How does this set perform as back bar only?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you backbar it, you wont get the basically passive healing bonus every 1 second when a negative effect is cleared (or say a dot is reapplied to you)

the only reason i could see back baring it is if you wanted to control the cleanse, or use it as a defensive setup, but i think it would be better to use as a always active 5 pc
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have back barred it and so far it has allowed me to remove extended ritual and control the clense timing for a heal as well..also freeing up a skill slot.
    When on the defensive the HoT is nice also
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats the scenario i think it would work if you wanted to control the cleanse because of the large number of long duration dots

but i think in general most people just prefer having it active at all times for the passive healing

i am always a supporter of do what works for you lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden rule for backbarring sets: only do it if the benefit carries over to the frontbar.

This is particularly true for buff procs and depending on the mechanics, some damage procs.

E.g.
    Wretched Vitality
    Clever Alchemist
    Caustic Arrow
    Seventh Legion Brute (which is not meta, but still functional)
    Unfathomable Darkness (which is not meta, but still functional)

So to answer your question, no, I wouldn't backbar Mara's Balm. That's sub-optimal. The whole point of MB is to have high uptime on counter-healing.
    Edited by taugrim on October 12, 2022 4:55AM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually I'd agree however It's appearing to work well on back bar only. I have a near on demand purge and burst heal so I can drop extended ritual for another skill and the HOT when defending is better than ritual as well. If I'm attacking I don't necessarily need the 5th bonus.
  • duckdown
    duckdown
    ✭✭✭
    This set doesnt even deserve to be in this forum. the most cancerous set ever created by zos.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duckdown wrote: »
    This set doesnt even deserve to be in this forum. the most cancerous set ever created by zos.

i thought that was dark convergence, or plaguebreak, or mythics lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭

PB was nerfed so hard it’s rarely used unless it’s designated within a group to use. DC was VERY VERY toxic, but again, nerfed to situational use. Mythics have been nerfed to be good, but not OP.

Mara’s has been nerfed, but still very OP. On my Templar (soon to be nerfed again), if I’m fighting someone with this set, I’m making sacrifices on the alters of the crit Gods for my combo, and if they have another defensive set, I might as well walk away.
    Edited by Amerises on October 12, 2022 10:49PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »

PB was nerfed so hard it’s rarely used unless it’s designated within a group to use. DC was VERY VERY toxic, but again, nerfed to situational use. Mythics have been nerfed to be good, but not OP.

Mara’s has been nerfed, but still very OP. On my Templar (soon to be nerfed again), if I’m fighting someone with this set, I’m making sacrifices on the alters of the crit Gods for my combo, and if they have another defensive set, I might as well walk away.

neither plague or DC has been nerfed that much

the only nerf to plague reduced the dmg of the dot, but they increased the explosion dmg slightly and made the dot apply diseased status effect, which could trigger occult overload, the cooldown per target is pretty negligible (i still use PB and it still feels about equally effective as before the changes)

DC also hasnt been nerfed much, its just on a longer cooldown, still see it all the time (although more common on a necro bomber, or used by ball groups or other niche builds)

ive even heard some people suggest that after the last round of mara nerfs that its like alright now, but nowhere near as OP as it was since it now has the 1 sec cooldown on the heal when negative effect is removed (i barely even notice if people are wearing it unless they are closer to a troll tank build, but i also usually run a stamblade in pvp)

the thing people already are complaining about now is some of the new mythics for next update (fauns lark in particular) for how potentially trolly it will be in pvp
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on October 13, 2022 4:15PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

the only nerf to plague reduced the dmg of the dot, but they increased the explosion dmg slightly and made the dot apply diseased status effect, which could trigger occult overload, the cooldown per target is pretty negligible (i still use PB and it still feels about equally effective as before the changes)

DC also hasnt been nerfed much, its just on a longer cooldown, still see it all the time (although more common on a necro bomber, or used by ball groups or other niche builds)

ive even heard some people suggest that after the last round of mara nerfs that its like alright now, but nowhere near as OP as it was since it now has the 1 sec cooldown on the heal when negative effect is removed (i barely even notice if people are wearing it unless they are closer to a troll tank build, but i also usually run a stamblade in pvp)

the thing people already are complaining about now is some of the new mythics for next update (fauns lark in particular) for how potentially trolly it will be in pvp

Plague had a much heftier nerf than just a damage nerf; they made it so that there is a large cooldown per target now, which means if you purge it you cannot have it applied to you again for a while. Before, even if you purged it someone could immediately reapply it to you.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The true nerfs to plague and DC are players learning how to deal with it. Combined with the changes made to them, they are a lot easier to avoid than they were at launch.

You can't really learn to deal with maras because it heals on practically all sources of damage. It has no counter. I guess you could argue major/minor defile but those are not easily applied and they themselves have been nerfed.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on October 14, 2022 4:15PM
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Plague had a much heftier nerf than just a damage nerf; they made it so that there is a large cooldown per target now, which means if you purge it you cannot have it applied to you again for a while. Before, even if you purged it someone could immediately reapply it to you.

i honestly havent found the cooldown problematic because its still per target, when theres 30 targets in front of you, your still generally applying it constantly

most cases the fights either end well before the cooldown is up on a single target, or the target is so tanky plague would have done nothing to them to begin with
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    This set + vampire passive need nerf or atleast changes. Still too strong.