The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Zero points for a competitive match?

astrozahmbie
astrozahmbie
Soul Shriven
Being in place 2, queued for a competitive match and won, yet I received no points. Is this “working as intended”? If so, why even risk my spot on the leaderboard for literally nothing? If I had lost, the other person would have gained 150 points and I would have lost 150. I just don’t get it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get any of the scoring and we really need an explanation of how this works.
    PCNA
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being in place 2, queued for a competitive match and won, yet I received no points. Is this “working as intended”? If so, why even risk my spot on the leaderboard for literally nothing? If I had lost, the other person would have gained 150 points and I would have lost 150. I just don’t get it.

I think the ranked ToT scores are all bugged. I never understood it but it's getting worse. Today I lost one match and dropped about 20 positions. Then I won four matches and I went up 5 positions. Then I lost another and dropped 70 positions. In all cases in the end of the game I wasn't ever informed about how much I lost or won, it's all very secrete. Anyway I noticed that in most matches I won I didn't get any points. So... seems that we are being cheated by the game itself. :)
    Edited by NeKryXe on October 8, 2022 6:43PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is definitely bugged and I think something is going on with coin generation, too.

I watch what cards my opponent is taking and some things happen that shouldn't be. My friend has noticed this same thing.

Sometimes my opponent has played all their cards but they keep accumulating a mass amount of coins. They won't have any agents up, they aren't playing cards or using a patron but you hear the "bump" sound multiple times and their coin count skyrockets.

This isn't a previous combo still completing or anything like that because sometimes there is a pause then it starts again with no plays being made. And I don't know any combos that give that many coins in one play anyway.
    PCNA
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the points results of my ranked matches today.

I won 5 matches and lost 3. In total I lost 620 points and won 0 points.

How is this even possible?
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. I can confirm now that the ranking system of ToT is with serious problems.

In the last 5 matches I watched it carefully:
    1st win +15 points
    2nd win 0 points
    3rd win +17 points
    1st loss -150 points

So... it seems that by winning a match we can get from 0 (that's weird) to 17 points, but everytime we lose they took us 150 points (this is really insane). It's clearly bugged.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's sort of weird for the scoring system to assume a massive loss of skill when giving out -150 points when the more likely case, the opponent getting lucky, is probably what happened. How many points should that reflect?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's sort of weird for the scoring system to assume a massive loss of skill when giving out -150 points when the more likely case, the opponent getting lucky, is probably what happened. How many points should that reflect?

How often does luck play a factor? Is it luck or skill if I decide to buy a mediocre card from the tavern and reveal a great card for my opponent? I’d say it’s a bad move on my part and a lack of skill.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »

How often does luck play a factor? Is it luck or skill if I decide to buy a mediocre card from the tavern and reveal a great card for my opponent? I’d say it’s a bad move on my part and a lack of skill.

This is the natural conclusion of losing 150 points. The game clearly thinks that the skill of the point loser was greater than the skill of their opponent. The opponent won, so luck most likely played the important role.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on October 10, 2022 7:50PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the natural conclusion of losing 150 points. The game clearly thinks that the skill of the point loser was greater than the skill of their opponent. The opponent won, so luck most likely played the important role.

The ranking system seems to be extremely bugged, and the fact that Zos keeps avoiding to explain how it works just confirms it. Everytime I lose a game they remove 150 points, that's for sure, but when we win it's always a surprise. Today I've been receiving 1 point for win, and in the end of the game, in the final screen it clearly says that I won 150 points, but it's always a lie, as we know. They need to fix it or explain what's happening.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. It's no good having a ranked system that if it is working, appears bugged to the people using it
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not bugged, but I suspect the scoring algorithm is whack in the early days of a new season.

This is how i've inferred the scoring system to operate:

You and your opponent are bracketed into X percentage of the leaderboard ranks
    A match has 100 points on the line
    This 100 points is adjusted depending on the difference between your percentage ranks
    Hence, wild swings early on when there are only a couple 100 players qualified for the leaderboard

I've come to terms with this system now that I've come to reason it's underpinnings as best as possible without direct knowledge.

I'm more an advocate for there being a point floor e.g. No matter the difference in rank, the winner should receive a minimum 25 points. Right now 0 points happens often enough and that seems to me to function as a disincentive.

NeKryXe wrote: »
    OK. I can confirm now that the ranking system of ToT is with serious problems.

In the last 5 matches I watched it carefully:
    1st win +15 points
    2nd win 0 points
    3rd win +17 points
    1st loss -150 points

So... it seems that by winning a match we can get from 0 (that's weird) to 17 points, but everytime we lose they took us 150 points (this is really insane). It's clearly bugged.

• Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laugh at another 'adjustment' that occurs to the rank; quite regularly I log out with a certain ranking, say 211, then the next day, before I even play a single match, I sit on 285. What to infer from that? Is ranking based on cumulative wins and losses, ranking of your opponents, ranking of other player's opponents, or all of the above in some complex algorithm?

Perhaps renowned Tamrielic sportwriters for Imperial City Today subjectively order us like American college football teams.

Yeah, that must be it.
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morimizo wrote: »
    I laugh at another 'adjustment' that occurs to the rank; quite regularly I log out with a certain ranking, say 211, then the next day, before I even play a single match, I sit on 285. What to infer from that? Is ranking based on cumulative wins and losses, ranking of your opponents, ranking of other player's opponents, or all of the above in some complex algorithm?

Perhaps renowned Tamrielic sportwriters for Imperial City Today subjectively order us like American college football teams.

Yeah, that must be it.

People play the game while your logged out and acquire more points than you and pass you in the rankings…
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morimizo wrote: »

Yeah, that must be it.

People play the game while your logged out and acquire more points than you and pass you in the rankings…

Yes, I know; but how are those points calculated?
  • Jordan_Black
    Jordan_Black
    ✭✭✭
    My score on the leaderboards was 499, ranking was 135. Just played 2 competitive games, won them both, and my score was still 499 and my ranking was 136. Filed a bug report but the scoring system is so cryptic that for all I know, it wasn't a bug. I agree, the scoring system needs transparency.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played a match yesterday and won; I actually lost points and dropped a few places.

Not sure how that works.