Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Carzog's Demise (Spoilers)

ShinChuck
ShinChuck
✭✭✭
So how about this one? It was a tough call, but I went with destroying it.
"It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    The rewards appear to be the same whichever way you choose.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • TwistedRiddlesb14_ESO
    Any idea if it changes the quests down the line at all?
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been wondering that for months. Does our choice ever make a difference? The quest dialogue suggests it might make an enormous difference, possibly including potential race relations.

Our choice also determines who comes with us to Daggerfall but again does it matter?

Are our choices ultimately hollow and meaningless? Because that would suck. I would hope that our choices open up future quests later on, depending on what we chose. The dialogue suggests what we chose is hugely important.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious to know if people who chose to keep the relic were presented with a follow-up where the orcs of Betnikh are joining the Daggerfall Covenant, or if they get an alternate (or no) follow-up.

The one that I got for destroying the relic gave me a follow-up that led to a single low-value turn-in at Daggerfall. It was a little bit of exp and gold, but nothing major.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did both choices in a previous beta and both of them led to the same reward of that axe and the orcs joining the covenant.

I don't want to think that a choice the quest's dialogue makes you think is very significant is actually completely insignificant.
  • Oevaag_Bur
    Oevaag_Bur
    ✭✭
    lol. pondered on this for ages in the beta and am having the same problem all over again :open_mouth: anyone tried taking the orb but giving it to the elf ?
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't think you can. You either destroy it or keep it.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to think that a choice the quest's dialogue makes you think is very significant is actually completely insignificant.

I understand this sentiment, but at the same time, I really, really hate it when you end up irrevocably impacting what can be done later on. A quick example from Skyrim, the Dawnguard expansion. You can actually get the totally-not-a-bad-guy vampire that you're forced into helping (No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?) to stop being a vampire, only if you didn't ask her about it before completing the quest line.

So I think my point is, while I do understand that you want your choices to be meaningful, I'm much happier knowing that I won't be re-rolling my main at level 47 because it turns out that I should have given the orb to the Redguard king back at level 6.
  • Poxs
    Poxs
    I think long term effects make your toon more personal. If you made an incorrect choice early on, then put in a way to make up for it by doing something that would make that person forgive/overlook your indiscretion.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    trinta wrote: »
    I understand this sentiment, but at the same time, I really, really hate it when you end up irrevocably impacting what can be done later on. A quick example from Skyrim, the Dawnguard expansion. You can actually get the totally-not-a-bad-guy vampire that you're forced into helping (No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?) to stop being a vampire, only if you didn't ask her about it before completing the quest line.

So I think my point is, while I do understand that you want your choices to be meaningful, I'm much happier knowing that I won't be re-rolling my main at level 47 because it turns out that I should have given the orb to the Redguard king back at level 6.

I understand that too. For me the decision would be based on what the end reward would be. I played another MMO with branching quests with different rewards and you really needed to read the wiki to see which path to choose (for example one path rewards a ship item the other a pistol) The good thing was that some quest rewards you could easily swap for the other reward an an NPC if you weren't happy with your choice. I'm not sure I want to see that in ESO but it would be nice to have the option to choose the other reward if it turns out we made the wrong choice.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    All i know is that sometimes different decisions lead to different objectives (baelborne child)
    Im bummed out that they took out the obligatory heist quest though, its pretty funny how those people keep showing up ^^
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • TwistedRiddlesb14_ESO
    All i know is that sometimes different decisions lead to different objectives (baelborne child)
    Im bummed out that they took out the obligatory heist quest though, its pretty funny how those people keep showing up ^^

They didn't take it out. You can still go back and do it. You just don't start there anymore. I still think that it is far more confusing to start in Daggerfall and then have to make your way to Stros M'Kai than the reverse, and you aren't the first person who has not realized that the Stros M'Kai content still exists. But it's all there.
  • warbaby2
    warbaby2
    I destroyed the artifact... since my char is a Breton Sorceress, I reconned that it would be logical for her to not repeat the mistake of her ancestor. Pity we had no dialogue options to defend that desition like that... it was the obvious choice.
  • Bunzinator
    Bunzinator
    Soul Shriven
    I destroyed it in beta, and my Breton isn't quite up to it yet, but I expect she'll also destroy it. For me, even if these choices are meaningless in terms of future gameplay, they are valuable in terms of RP character development and immersion.
    Edited by Bunzinator on April 2, 2014 11:24AM
    "You have spirit in your eyes. I may take those from you when this is over."
  • ryanmc924
    ryanmc924
    Soul Shriven
    I kept the artifact simply because it seemed like nobody else was doing it. I destroyed it during beta, because I played an orc. Now I'm redguard so not as big of a deal. Anyway, SPOILER, it is basically the same either way you go. One way you tick off Kaleen and Lerisa and the other girl. Other way you tick off Lambur, Jakarn, Neramo and the khajit. Warchief is ticked if you keep it but ultimately rewards you either way.
  • Verayth
    Verayth
    Soul Shriven
    I chose based on which characters I'd like to see again during later quests. For me, it was a choice between the ladies or the gents, not the relic.
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any major differences in story if I keep or if I destroy it?
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played through this on an alt last night with the intention of keeping it this time, but when I got to the decision, I just couldn't justify how my character could remotely think it was a good idea.

If there are any consequences to keeping it, I guess I'll never see them.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will we meet Jakarn and others later?
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    I destroyed it because it seemed like the choice was alliance with Orcs or cheap artifact that was 50/50 chance of being abused. Probably in the long run the orc alliance would be more valuable. The fact that if you betray the orcs they end up joining anyway is irrelevant to the decision since you dont know that at the time.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is how i decided after standing there for 5+ mins thinking

if you keep the orb ALL the traped souls will stay trapped all those poor souls...

if you destroy it all those souls will be free....

thats how i decided...wasnt able to decide while i was only thinking abbout the possible future of it......
  • CelticMarauder
    This wasn't a hard choice at all for me. I'm not going to enslave thousands of souls to gain a few cheap victories. Kaleen's, Nicolene's, and Lerisa's justifications for keeping it pale in the face of the sheer evil that object represents.
    Cool like the scales of Auri-El.

"Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. And it's beautiful... and funny... and good." -Aaron Davis, Latter Days
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »
    Will we meet Jakarn and others later?
    They seem to be following you, giving you a slight help on various missions, but not anything major so far.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This wasn't a hard choice at all for me. I'm not going to enslave thousands of souls to gain a few cheap victories. Kaleen's, Nicolene's, and Lerisa's justifications for keeping it pale in the face of the sheer evil that object represents.
    That was my call too, killing people is bad enough but destroying their souls (Breton King's Ghost told you it devours souls) that is unacceptable.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • gurluasb16_ESO
    gurluasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It annoys me how much Nicolene is a b*tch and blames me for everything bad that happened, and she keeps doing it even as late as in Alik'r desert, where she even bluntly tells me to go talk to a wall.

Oh sure, excuse me for not wanting to use the cursed soul-eating artifact
    Captain Kaleen at least came around. >_>

Also she keeps blaming me for the death of her brothers.
    I don't recall killing them, unless they were cultists.
    Edited by gurluasb16_ESO on July 25, 2014 1:29PM
  • bill3600
    bill3600
    Soul Shriven
    It annoys me how much Nicolene is a b*tch and blames me for everything bad that happened, and she keeps doing it even as late as in Alik'r desert, where she even bluntly tells me to go talk to a wall.

Oh sure, excuse me for not wanting to use the cursed soul-eating artifact
    Captain Kaleen at least came around. >_>

Also she keeps blaming me for the death of her brothers.
    I don't recall killing them, unless they were cultists.

I know...she's such a [snip]...and her ideas were like that she is from elementry school

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_JuhoJ on July 28, 2014 4:59AM
  • nosillalouise
    SOOO...

I kept the Orb.

The only person that actually likes me now is Captain Kaleen.
    Neramo said that he was done with me and Captain Kaleen, Jakarn is parting ways and so is Lerisa.
    All the Orcs probably hate me because I also not only took the relic, but I also told the Chiefs daughter to live her life and come with me and explore the world. I know Lambur told me to never cross her path.

YOLO
  • kali79
    kali79
    Soul Shriven
    I kept the orb.

The only good orc is a dead orc.

Nuff said