The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My kingdom for an add-on that displays Character Name and User ID together

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Right now we only have the option to display the Character name or the User ID in the nameplate. We can see both names if we hover over the player but I'd love to be able to display it like this: CharacterName@UserID.

Does such an add-on exist?

Someone once suggested Pchat but it did a lot of things I didn't want and had about a gazillion dependencies.
PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pchat definitely can do that for the chat window, but it does take some configuring to get it the way you would prefer

it sounds like you tried it, but want something much simpler that just changes the display of the player names in the chat window

off the top of my head i dont think i know of an addon that does only that specific function (and at work so cant really actively search)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want it that way for the chat window. I want the nameplate over the player's head to say CharacterName@UserID.

Right now the game gives the option to show one or the other. I've suggested they add an option to display both but I don't see that happening. I was hoping there was an add-on that had this function.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 5, 2022 5:34PM
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah yeah that makes more sense

i do not know of any addons that modify the nameplates (like the ones displayed over a character, because the player character is effectively an object that exists in the game world)

i know there are addons that can alter like the targeting thing (the hp bar, and the user name display, which this does by default show both the character name and @ name if you are targeting them with your reticle), but still dont think this is what your looking for either
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can mouse over the player and see both names, or if I am standing close enough to a player to target them for a trade or something, but these require the player to stand still while I look to see what both their names are.

I've tried to show User ID because this is what I know my friends by but then I miss seeing the character's name.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 8, 2022 11:19PM
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah i agree with that, sometimes if someone is moving around a lot its hard to see the user id (or in other cases, use the interact menu with them to say invite to group or whatnot lol)

i personally have characters display the character names because i feel that is more immersive, and i also use character names in chat (for most every channel except guilds, which i display as @ names because of the way guilds function)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I display character name too for immersion reasons but then I miss recognizing players I know by their User ID, such as guild members or players I know from the forums. I've had players call me Silver in game then I have to scramble to try to find them in the crowd and mouse over them to see if I recognize their User ID.

Would it be difficult to create a simple add-on that changes the nameplate to display both, or adds another line with the User ID more prominently under the character's nameplate?
    PCNA
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't log in now to check but I think Azura does this.

It does other things as well, but each function is enabled separately so you can turn off the parts you don't want.

Edit: Nope, Azura lets you customise targets names but not nameplates.
    Edited by Danikat on October 6, 2022 4:13PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at Azura and it had "Show other players by character name or @account name (or both) and other options." listed as a feature. Then I watched a YouTube that went over all the features and never saw this, but it was an older YouTube.

I will post on the Azura website and ask about this.

Thanks for the tip.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 6, 2022 5:52PM
    PCNA
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right now we only have the option to display the Character name or the User ID in the nameplate. We can see both names if we hover over the player but I'd love to be able to display it like this: CharacterName@UserID.

Does such an add-on exist?

Someone once suggested Pchat but it did a lot of things I didn't want and had about a gazillion dependencies.

What seams to be the issue with Pchat having depenancies ?

It has 5 of them :
    -LibAddonMenu 2

-LibMainMenu-2.0 (do not confuse with LibMainMenu)

-LibMediaProvider

-LibCustomMenu

-LibDebugLogger

You probably have 2 of them already installed the Custom and 2.0 one...

Saying "My kingdom for an add-on that displays" but not wanting to download the dependencies is really weird for me.

What gives?

On another note you might get the desired effect by using Bandits UI --- I am not sure as I am not exactly sure of how you want it.
    lJxZf0E.png
    Edited by WiseSky on October 7, 2022 6:24PM
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    Saying "My kingdom for an add-on that displays" but not wanting to download the dependencies is really weird for me.

What gives?

I also said that Pchat does a lot of things that I don't want.

I find it excessive to install 1 addon and 5 dependencies to get a lot of stuff I don't want just for one feature. I was hoping there was a simpler option.
    PCNA
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What gives?

I also said that Pchat does a lot of things that I don't want.

I find it excessive to install 1 addon and 5 dependencies to get a lot of stuff I don't want just for one feature. I was hoping there was a simpler option.

I am the opposite, I will use an addon just because of 1 feature and disable all the rest in the settings, it takes time to fiddle with it, but at the end of the day I get the result I wanted and don't need to mess with it anymore ever.

It's very daunting to enter the settings of an addon and play with the settings at first, but it's the least I can do compared to all the efforts Authors went through to create their addons.

The Idea of asking if someone can Code an addon just for a feature you want, that is possible to get by playing with the settings of one addon and/or downloading a few dependency is, in my opinion, a bit entitling. Unless of course Pchat or Bandits does something that can't be removed by fiddling in the settings.

The Next escalating idea is to consider is how much your "Kigndom" is actually worth, I know Addon Authors take commissions for custom addons. You might also find one that would make it for free.

If none of the above work... then it's up to you to learn to code or gets Zos attention to implement into the game :D

To me the simplest option is to play with the settings and download a few dependences.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have… i don’t even know anymore… 200+…. 250+ addons (including pChat and Azura) and neither can display the character name and account name on a nameplate. On the target UI, sure. In chat, sure. But not on a nameplate.

It may be a game limitation. Something the devs hasn’t opened to the public with the API.

Personally, the only place I have character names shown (with account names) is chat. And that’s only because some people call players by their character name in chat and I want to know who they’re talking to/about.
    But I couldn’t care less about immersion or roleplaying stuff. I don’t care what people name their characters. I’m interacting with the player. Not the avatar.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I don’t believe there is an addon that allows you to see character names and account names on a nameplate. Might not be possible.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Idea of asking if someone can Code an addon just for a feature you want, that is possible to get by playing with the settings of one addon and/or downloading a few dependency is, in my opinion, a bit entitling.

I didn't ask anyone create a custom addon for me. I simply asked if it would be difficult because I wouldn't expect anyone to go to a lot of trouble for one small feature.

Also according to @NeuroticPixels these add-ons don't have what I am looking for anyway.
    PCNA
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never hurts to ask, though.
    Out of either pChat and Azura, I would post a request on Azura’s page. I’m sure it’s out of pChat’s scope.

Although before you ask on the ESOUI forum, be sure to read through the stickied posts about what addons can and can’t do. Your answer may already be answered in there, and if it’s too obvious you haven’t read the stickied posts, it’s highly likely that authors and/or ESOUI staff will request you do so before they further discuss your request/idea with you.

But besides that, there are a few authors on ESOUI that are pretty open to requests.
    You might look into joining the ESOUI discord, too. Depending on how much you want to see if what you want is possible.

Best of luck!
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and not to derail the convo… but simply asking for something doesn’t mean someone feels they’re entitled. No one should ever feel afraid to ask anything, or request anything.

To be told that asking for something makes you entitled is gaslighting.
    Edited by NeuroticPixels on October 8, 2022 3:02AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and not to derail the convo… but simply asking for something doesn’t mean someone feels they’re entitled. No one should ever feel afraid to ask anything, or request anything.

Thank you.
    PCNA
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you.

Never meant any ill feeling towards anyone, especially fellow addon users.

I was under the impression that the feature that Silver was asking for was available but downloading extra dependencies or playing with the settings was too much for them, as they were just asking a question and not demanding for it to be made.

See that is not the case you have my apologies and hope you find what you are looking for.
    @SilverBride
    Edited by WiseSky on October 8, 2022 4:53AM
    Immersive Quests Addon
    List of Immersion Addons
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

Never meant any ill feeling towards anyone, especially fellow addon users.

I was under the impression that the feature that Silver was asking for was available but downloading extra dependencies or playing with the settings was too much for them, as they were just asking a question and not demanding for it to be made.

See that is not the case you have my apologies and hope you find what you are looking for.
    @SilverBride

It wasn't too much for me. It was overkill. And thank you for the apology.
    PCNA
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addons can't modify nameplate text, only basic stuff like font type and size. ZOS API doesn't allow more customization. Those are the only functions available for addons when it comes to nameplates:
    nameplate.png

There is also nothing in default ESO UI to hook/replace through addons. So we have to beg ZOS to either extend the settings for nameplates or add more functions for addons to API.
    Edited by perfiction on October 8, 2022 9:15AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems it's not possible but thanks to everyone for your input.
    PCNA