The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is there a good way to determine when I should do a writ I receive?

ziggy29
ziggy29
✭✭✭
My gut feeling is that I should look at the value of the materials used to craft the item and compare it to the number of writ vouchers I receive, and finding a "gold per voucher" number which, if exceeded, means the writ isn't worth doing.

Actual example right now: I received a JC writ (many say these are generally not worth doing) that would give me 27 vouchers and the current TTC value of the materials needed is about 38,000 gold (on PC NA). From this I get a little over 1400 gold per voucher. Then I decide whether a voucher is worth 1400 gold.

Have any "master" crafters looked at it this way? And if so, how much do you value a single writ voucher (I know it's server dependent). Or maybe I should look at the value of what I can buy with my vouchers and use that as a basis for deciding whether a writ is worth doing?
Edited by ziggy29 on October 3, 2022 3:36PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writ Worthy will give you all the information you need. And let you queue all your writs and automatically make them.

Me, i sell all my Gold Clothing Writs, and i hoard the rest until a double exp event. Then do all of them at once. I can do a 100 at a time using the above addon in about 20 to 30 minutes start to finish at a guild hall.

The experience you get is the same for Blue or Purple or Gold. And, unless you are chasing Vouchers for Attunables or Recipes, experience is the biggest benefit to Master Writs.
    Edited by Nestor on October 3, 2022 4:25PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The values would be slightly different if you are doing master writs for the vouchers to use yourself (such as buying the furnishing plans, attunables for your own house, etc...) versus selling for profit (as you have to take into account he 8% loss from guild traders, unless you have a buyer outside of that).

I personally sell all gold clothing, hakeijo enchanting, perfect roe provisioning, purple and gold jewelry... and destroy all blue jewelry, as they just aren't worth doing to sell for profit (at PC/NA prices). Purple woodworking are borderline to do... but I have so many of those mats that I don't min/max those, as there'd be far to many of them to sell to be really viable, and they aren't worth much selling.

But as Nestor said, on PC, Writworthy will calculate all that cost for you to determine if you want to do them or not.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m on console, and I don’t sell my mats. I like to do 3 master writs every day for the XP boost while enlightened, it gets me almost halfway through the 400k. I keep a few in the bank for days I don’t get a lot of writs and sell the ones that require style mats from hard to get places like dlc dungeons and trials especially.

My criteria beyond that is whether I have plenty of mats to cover it, not so much how much those mats cost. I have done purple and gold jewelry writs because they give large amounts of vouchers in the past, but don’t need those so much anymore.

I am certainly not making the max amount of gold doing things this way, but it’s easier. Plus I have those 1000 or so ancient sandstone style mats from farming Craglorn any time I need them and don’t have to buy them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Writ Worthy will give you all the information you need. And let you queue all your writs and automatically make them.

Me, i sell all my Gold Clothing Writs, and i hoard the rest until a double exp event. Then do all of them at once. I can do a 100 at a time using the above addon in about 20 to 30 minutes start to finish at a guild hall.

The experience you get is the same for Blue or Purple or Gold. And, unless you are chasing Vouchers for Attunables or Recipes, experience is the biggest benefit to Master Writs.

Really wish we could do this on console. Don’t really care either way add-on or not but something like Writ Worthy sounds like it is borderline playing the game for you by doing writs so quickly compared to console.

Basically I do the same as katanagirl1 and don’t sell my mats so for me the cost of doing a writ or not is not really a factor. Then again, I have been playing for years and don’t mind farming mats as I roam and play. Out of the many writs I have done their have only been a handful of times I have needed to use a Crown Mimic Stone.

Stay safe
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »

Really wish we could do this on console. Don’t really care either way add-on or not but something like Writ Worthy sounds like it is borderline playing the game for you by doing writs so quickly compared to console.

Basically I do the same as katanagirl1 and don’t sell my mats so for me the cost of doing a writ or not is not really a factor. Then again, I have been playing for years and don’t mind farming mats as I roam and play. Out of the many writs I have done their have only been a handful of times I have needed to use a Crown Mimic Stone.

Stay safe

Awesome, didn’t think anyone else would do it this way.
    :)
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another option, that the zeal of zenithar event is a thing, you could save master writs for that event, which gives event boxes for every master writ you do (i think i did close to 100 master writs on the first day of that event, made a lot of stuff from event boxes, and like almost 5000 writ vouchers)

i usually just stockpile them in my bank if i either dont know something like the motif for an item, or when i want to do them in bulk (such as the event)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The personal value of vouchers, and tempers, is going to be the deciding factor. If you want vouchers to buy attunable stations, or furnishing plans, they will be worth more to you than their gold price, Similarly, if Master writs compete with furnishing for your temper mats, then you’ll be less inclined to do them.

So are you a home-builder or an accountant?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When do I decide to do my writs? When I need bag/bank space.
    Besides that, I don't care about mats pricing since I never buy mats.
    So, if you got the mats and the knowledge required there's no need to wait.
    Hoarding for an master writs event? No need. With several alts with some crafting knowledge players can gather a bunch of master writs fast enough.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never sell my mats
    Never buy anything with writ vouchers
    Have crap loads stacked in mule alts and dead guild bank
    Use the alchemy and provision ones all in one go on an event
    Use the large purple wood, leather and ore ones, pretty much never touch the blue and/or low ticket ones, not woth the mats.
    Never use jewellery ones, they are useless.
    Stack the gold ones for when they give something worth buying in the master writ stores.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save all my alchemy and enchant writs for new toons and do those during double experience events on that toon. You can get a toon to level fifty super quick that way.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save all my alchemy and enchant writs for new toons and do those during double experience events on that toon. You can get a toon to level fifty super quick that way.

No point in power levlling a toon to 50 like that.
    You still need skill points and skill lines, how are you gonna do FG1 when you are a 3000 CP char with 1 skill point!
    Time saved is time earned. Best to TP to all the pub dungeons, run the base game dungeons and collect any skyshards on the way WHILE you are levelling.
    If not, you have to do it after you get the toon to 50 anyway, doubling your power levelling time!
    Edited by Stinkyremy on October 21, 2022 4:07AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

You still need skill points and skill lines, how are you gonna do FG1 when you are a 3000 CP char with 1 skill point!
    Time saved is time earned. Best to TP to all the pub dungeons, run the base game dungeons and collect any skyshards on the way WHILE you are levelling.
    If not, you have to do it after you get the toon to 50 anyway, doubling your power levelling time!

I mean.. you do get 64 skill points from just leveling. Only need about 10 more from skyshards/basic quests to have a fully functional crafting alt. And you can run FG easily with those 64 skill points.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I mean.. you do get 64 skill points from just leveling. Only need about 10 more from skyshards/basic quests to have a fully functional crafting alt. And you can run FG easily with those 64 skill points.

It is about being economical with your time.
    You gonna sit there for an hour or 2/3 and do 350 alchemy writs to level a toon, then run around do all the group, pub and skyshard hunt after you reach 50.

Or be economical.
    Get a friend to TP you to every pub dungeon wayshrine. When you are ready to level the alt, put your training gear on, pop a scroll and event buff, TP from wayshrine to wayshrine from pub dungeon group boss to pub dungeon group boss all while queuing in random normal dungeons for the quest and skill points,
    Each of these achievements is levelling undaunted. Though tbh I do not know what you have to do now to level undaunted with the new account wide achievement. I expect it is just group even pub dungeon boss and actual dungeon quests now.
    All of which you will have do do after getting to 50.

Think about it, a writ gives like 7k XP no XP buffs. Killing 2 mudcrabs gives the same amount
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You gonna sit there for an hour or 2/3 and do 350 alchemy writs to level a toon, then run around do all the group, pub and skyshard hunt after you reach 50.

Or be economical.
    Get a friend to TP you to every pub dungeon wayshrine. When you are ready to level the alt, put your training gear on, pop a scroll and event buff, TP from wayshrine to wayshrine from pub dungeon group boss to pub dungeon group boss all while queuing in random normal dungeons for the quest and skill points,
    Each of these achievements is levelling undaunted. Though tbh I do not know what you have to do now to level undaunted with the new account wide achievement. I expect it is just group even pub dungeon boss and actual dungeon quests now.

Think about it, a writ gives like 7k XP no XP buffs. Killing 2 mudcrabs gives the same amount

Killing 2 mudcrabs at level 10 does not give the same XP as doing a master alchemy writ :joy:

I can level a character 10-50 in about 30 minutes doing master writs. I can level FAR, FAR faster to 50 from the writs than I would by questing. Flop the skills to learn on my bar while turning them in. I have a character with 64 skill points at level 50, which I can then use fully leveled champion gear to get those extra skill points/etc... instead of needing sets at different levels that I'm going to out-level pretty quickly, reducing my effectiveness, clogging up my bank, having to re-make, etc...

My way I don't have to worry about gear, getting carried by another player, etc...

To each their own. I've leveled about 50 characters across 4 accounts.

You do you. I'll do what I do.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or be economical.

Killing 2 mudcrabs at level 10 does not give the same XP as doing a master alchemy writ :joy:

I can level a character 10-50 in about 30 minutes doing master writs. I can level FAR, FAR faster to 50 from the writs than I would by questing. Flop the skills to learn on my bar while turning them in. I have a character with 64 skill points at level 50, which I can then use fully leveled champion gear to get those extra skill points/etc... instead of needing sets at different levels that I'm going to out-level pretty quickly, reducing my effectiveness, clogging up my bank, having to re-make, etc...

My way I don't have to worry about gear, getting carried by another player, etc...

To each their own. I've leveled about 50 characters across 4 accounts.

You do you. I'll do what I do.

Totally this! If I've got the writs that need doing it doesn't take any longer to do them on a low level than my main I get much more benefit from it. Most of my characters I'm only levelling for daily writs anyway so don't need undaunted, it's kinda levelling for free.

The only downside is when you forget to slot skills before you start turning them in but that's something you only ever do once - after the first time you end up with a CP character with no skills unlocked you make sure you remember! :D
    PS4 EU