Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gifting, how is this okay?

ljl227
ljl227
✭✭
I don't use Eso Plus, I have to purchase the Chapters and dlc's I want to play. I purchased them through the crown store with crowns bought with my credit card. I then have access to the content on PC NA and EU servers, which I play NA daily and EU occasionally. My son who bought a bunch of crowns and doesn't play anymore gifted me his crowns in dlc content and I paid him cash for his crowns. I logged on to EU today and I don't have access to that gifted content. If I want to play the gifted content I have to purchase it again. Another friend gifted me Summerset and threw her money away as well, cause I have to buy it again on EU anyway. From my point of view this is called double dipping and to me that is unethical. Or is it just a case of buyer beware? I'll never accept a gift of content again, why pay twice. The problem I have is someone has paid real money for the crowns, whether you use it to purchase or gift shouldn' t the end result be the same?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 4, 2022 2:32AM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that is server wide is the account's crown wallet and the items/content purchased via website.

EVERYTHING you bought thru crown store is bound to the server where you purchased it from.

I advise you to, at least try and, reach Support. Send a ticket explaining the situation.
    Edited by redlink1979 on October 2, 2022 11:29AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't specific to gifting. Anything you get from the crown store or otherwise within the game is specific to the server you're logged into at the time.

If you purchase a chapter like Greymoor or High Isle before it's re-branded as DLC and added to the crown store it will be available on both servers, but that's because it's purchased outside the game. DLC which is only available through the crown store like Markarth or Lost Depths will always be restricted to the server you're on at the time and you'd have to buy it twice to get it on both.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is normal in any MMO

Lets take WOW for example. If I buy a mount on US server then it is on US server and not avalible on EU.

These are separate servers.
  • ljl227
    ljl227
    ✭✭
    Got it, thanks, I did buy all my content on the website. The gifted content isn't available for purchase on the website anymore and would have to be bought twice in order to play it on both servers no matter how I do it. Buyer beware!
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds utterly ridiculous and I have to believe it is in the nature of a clerical error. If they do not warn you about this when purchasing a gift, I believe a full refund or access to the content is in order. I have gifted a bunch of stuff to people including people who play in the EU. I t will make me super mad to learn that they could not access that. I certainly was not told that at time of purchase.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »
    This sounds utterly ridiculous and I have to believe it is in the nature of a clerical error. If they do not warn you about this when purchasing a gift, I believe a full refund or access to the content is in order. I have gifted a bunch of stuff to people including people who play in the EU. I t will make me super mad to learn that they could not access that. I certainly was not told that at time of purchase.

It's got nothing to do with gifting. Anything you buy on the Crown store in-game, is tied to that server. It's been like that since the Crown store first existed. Not a new thing, or a change, or a bug.

Things bought for cash on the ESO site, outside the game, are cross-server (but still not cross-platform)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 2, 2022 3:01PM
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »

It's got nothing to do with gifting. Anything you buy on the Crown store in-game, is tied to that server. It's been like that since the Crown store first existed. Not a new thing, or a change, or a bug.

Things bought for cash on the ESO site, outside the game, are cross-server (but still not cross-platform)

Thank you for clarifying. Still ridiculous.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To further clarify: when DLC is gifted it's unlocked on whichever server the recipient is logged into at the time they receive it. So if you're on NA and gift something to someone on EU (or vice versa) they will be able to use it, but they will only have it on the EU server, just like they would if they'd bought it themselves.

It's not a popular decision with players but it's been that way since the crown store was introduced and isn't likely to change now.

(I suspect ZOS just did whatever is simplest for them. If you're logged in to a server it's applied to that server only, because then they don't need a mechanism to notify the other server to unlock it too. If you're not logged in to a server it applies to both because then they don't need a process to choose one to unlock it on.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scammed by your son. Twice
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Scammed by your son. Twice

LOL. you are very witty, doc.

• joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    To further clarify: when DLC is gifted it's unlocked on whichever server the recipient is logged into at the time they receive it. So if you're on NA and gift something to someone on EU (or vice versa) they will be able to use it, but they will only have it on the EU server, just like they would if they'd bought it themselves.

It's not a popular decision with players but it's been that way since the crown store was introduced and isn't likely to change now.

(I suspect ZOS just did whatever is simplest for them. If you're logged in to a server it's applied to that server only, because then they don't need a mechanism to notify the other server to unlock it too. If you're not logged in to a server it applies to both because then they don't need a process to choose one to unlock it on.)

You can't gift things across servers. If you're logged into the NA server, you can only gift stuff to a recipient on NA. Same thing for EU - you can only gift something to an EU account.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Paske wrote: »

Lets take WOW for example. If I buy a mount on US server then it is on US server and not avalible on EU.

It's not normal in every MMO. In SWTOR which is older than ESO all of my Cartel purchases were available on any server that I played on and I played on Harbinger/Satele Shan, Ebonhawk/Starforge, and whatever the EU EN server was called. We've also seen the industry move away from this sales model in recent years making purchases server agnostic in a rare player first move.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pro tip. If you want to buy current and past chapters for both NA and EU servers at once buy the latest chapter (full) for your account.

For example if you buy high isle right now on PC you get morrowind through high isle and it will apply to both NA and EU servers.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have always hated this about the crown store. If I have to purchase things twice, any crowns I have should at least be duplicated on servers as well. Why are the crowns cross-server but when spent they are separated? Either give me twice as many crowns or unlock on both servers. Simple.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Paske wrote: »

It's not normal in every MMO. In SWTOR which is older than ESO all of my Cartel purchases were available on any server that I played on and I played on Harbinger/Satele Shan, Ebonhawk/Starforge, and whatever the EU EN server was called. We've also seen the industry move away from this sales model in recent years making purchases server agnostic in a rare player first move.

Yeah, I wouldn't use anything that blizzard does as a justification on what is or isn't acceptable.

But yeah, now the OP knows and can make an informed choice. I'm not sure if this is mentioned, but if it isn't, then it's never good forcing your customers to make an uninformed choice.

A lot of shoddy descriptions within the crown store, past and present. But i suppose they can, and do, do it because crown store purchases aren't direct cash purchases. So fall outwith consumer laws governing certain countries.

It's why these corps aren't your friend because they usually give people the least amount of information when possible.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post