The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companion gear

Tariq9898
Tariq9898
✭✭
So I just got Mirri yesterday as a healer for my solo build. I'm still new to the game and I'm doing the quests in chronological order. So I still have a long while to go. I'm almost at Cadwell silver... So I figured I just skip ahead a bit just to get Mirri as a companion. I've skipped ahead before just to get Psijic skill line.

And I'm glad I did because yes, while leveling up your companion takes a while, getting the proper gear takes frustration to unparalleled heights.

I mean, you can't craft, improve, or transmute companion gear?? I've checked guild traders across Mournhold, Wayrest, Elden Tree, and Craglorn for Purple Light Quickened trait armor and couldn't even find one 😅. This is all on Xbox NA by the way. I saw videos on how to farm companion gear but I'm only getting Blue and Green. Is there a way to increase chance of getting Purple Quickened?

Also, it would be nice for higher level players with master crafting to reap more benefits by allowing them to craft companion pieces.
Edited by Tariq9898 on September 30, 2022 7:46PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty much just random luck lol, the vast majority of what you will get is blue/green (which 9/10 times i end up just destroying because you cant even mark it as junk)

if your looking for desired traits such as quickened on purple gear, that stuff is high demand, so wont find many listings, and if you do they might be pricey

i do agree companion gear is pretty limiting

you cant:
    • ...mark as junk
    • ...improve quality
    • ...craft
    • ...deconstruct
    • ...transmute

you can:
    • equip them on your own companion
    • sell them to a vendor
    • sell them on guild store (if they are not bound already)

undesired blue/green companion gear is not even worth selling on a guild store, if its got a decent trait then blues can sell okayish, but purples (on PC) can range from 10k-1 million, depending on the trait and piece of gear (weapons and jewelry tend to sell higher than gear)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've found running dailies is more likely to provide a companion gear drop, but not a gaurantee. The harder dailies are potentially more likely to drop higher end gear, but again it will come down to RNG.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heroes of High Isle event boxes drop companion gear (if you have Isobel or Ember active when you open them), so that's another way for you to get a bunch of items you're not looking for what you need. Purple drops in any trait are quite rare, though.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recently started Isobel and she is still in her whites because I see only light and medium companion gear dropping. Event boxes have given moar of the same this far. Companion levelling being as "fast" as it is there is plenty time before I need to start robbing guild banks and combing traders to get her some greens & blues.
  • Tariq9898
    Tariq9898
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I just started the High Isles event yesterday whilst farming volcanic vents. I've gotten few purple companion gear. I'm also checking many of the various guild traders and I've surprisingly gotten a few pieces so far!

On a side note, I enjoy having my companion around. Based on the rapport system as well as personal companion quests, the relationship reminds me of Joel and Ellie, or Master Chief and Cortana, or Kratos and Atreus.
    Edited by Tariq9898 on October 1, 2022 2:10PM
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companion armor works differently than player armor

Medium armor on companions, e.g., is a flat damage increase per piece
    Therefore Medium / Aggressive is the most desired combination, such pieces tend to be very valuable in blue and purple

The same is true for Light armor with the Quickened or Soothing traits (used for Healer builds) and Heavy/Bolstered (for Tank builds)

The gap between green -> blue items is smaller than the gap between blue -> purple, much more so than regular ESO player gear

The other traits don't see much use and so off-trait gear is really cheap in green, blue, and sometimes even purple
    (e.g. a Soothing purple Greatsword)

Best way to level your companions and get lots of gear (other than event dailies) is public dungeons, I can spend 2-3 hours in, e.g. Crimson Cove just chain pulling the entire time and get a ton of companion exp and usually 10-15 or more pieces of companion gear.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE