The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Current Performance is Atrocious & Gamebreaking

xFocused
xFocused
✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/Y2pH_7f5mfE

Here's what Cyrodiil looked like for me last night. 22 second clip above but I could've easily made it much longer with the amount of lag, rubberbanding, skills not casting, unable to bar swap, etc....I have my PlayStation hardwired even and this is what I get. I love ESO and the PvP but how in the world is this the only game that runs like this? I can play Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, DayZ, GTA and they all run smooth but ESO is the only one that gives the absolute worst performance. This is so frustrating and unacceptable for a game company that we all know is making a fortune off crown crates & subscriptions. How are we still dealing with the same atrocious PvP problems every single year without any end in sight? Absolutely ridiculous.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep and this isn't even a keep fight.

I had a really good run a few months back when I managed to snag a ps5. After u35, it's back to the same old skipping out simply running open field on my own.

There's no good time to play, it's not our internet. It's just a game collapsing by the day.
  • MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    it was fine before the last maintenance. They broke it again and refuse to fix it. How is it possible there was no maintenance this week fixing stuff? They must see the population decreasing drastic on the servers but they just sit there like "this is fine"
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indigogo wrote: »

I had a really good run a few months back when I managed to snag a ps5. After u35, it's back to the same old skipping out simply running open field on my own.

There's no good time to play, it's not our internet. It's just a game collapsing by the day.

You're absolutely right. I've tried everything from upgrading my internet speeds to buying new ethernet cables even and it's just not making any kind of difference. I don't even want to bother logging in anymore until it gets addressed. I could do PvE content I suppose but when your guild is PvP oriented it's not the same, lol
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    it was fine before the last maintenance. They broke it again and refuse to fix it. How is it possible there was no maintenance this week fixing stuff? They must see the population decreasing drastic on the servers but they just sit there like "this is fine"

No clue my guy. It's just unplayable right now for me. The clip I posted above was what I ran into all night last night, even small field fights are like this
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

You're absolutely right. I've tried everything from upgrading my internet speeds to buying new ethernet cables even and it's just not making any kind of difference. I don't even want to bother logging in anymore until it gets addressed. I could do PvE content I suppose but when your guild is PvP oriented it's not the same, lol

Performance issues are almost always server side in ESO. This has been the case for years now.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

Performance issues are almost always server side in ESO. This has been the case for years now.

It's so inconsistent too, lol. I hopped into Blackreach last night for a few hours and had 0 issues with lag, stability, etc...Granted BR had 1 bar for each alliance so that may have helped but It was overall a better experience than GH
  • Tberg725
    Tberg725
    ✭✭✭
    The state of pvp is just inexcusable

This company should be ashamed of themselves for thinking this is okay there are literally times of the day where the game is unplayable you hit a skill and maybe it will go off maybe it won’t after pressing the button 3 times…

Siege is anther story I’ll put down a ballista and it will keep telling me it’s “busy” meanwhile it’s been sitting there cocked and ready to fire but I gotta hit the thing 3-4 times and GOOD LUCK if you need your healing ult to go off to save the group

Let’s also add the invisible siege that’s kills you because it never showed up I love trying get into a keep just to randomly die then look at my death recap and apparently I was getting shot by a cold fire ballista
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We know that Zenimax is working to replace the server hardware though we also know that will not happen fast due to issues well beyond their control.

We also know that Zenimax is reorganizing the base code for the servers, which is a significant project. Hopefully, it will be finished soon.

Both are expected to improve performance.

Good luck until then.
  • Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    We know that Zenimax is working to replace the server hardware though we also know that will not happen fast due to issues well beyond their control.

We also know that Zenimax is reorganizing the base code for the servers, which is a significant project. Hopefully, it will be finished soon.

Good luck until then.

Those issues are long gone, seems that only them are affected.
    And server recode? Forget about it, too much expensive. Zero info till now, that should tell you something.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone waiting for the code to be rewritten also believes in the tooth fairy
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tberg725 wrote: »
    The state of pvp is just inexcusable

This company should be ashamed of themselves for thinking this is okay there are literally times of the day where the game is unplayable you hit a skill and maybe it will go off maybe it won’t after pressing the button 3 times…

Siege is anther story I’ll put down a ballista and it will keep telling me it’s “busy” meanwhile it’s been sitting there cocked and ready to fire but I gotta hit the thing 3-4 times and GOOD LUCK if you need your healing ult to go off to save the group

Let’s also add the invisible siege that’s kills you because it never showed up I love trying get into a keep just to randomly die then look at my death recap and apparently I was getting shot by a cold fire ballista

I gave up recently. I've just been logging in and going back to my roots of questing and adventurin' with my PvE toons. I want to play PvP but every time I've tried last week it was so unplayable. So for now, I'm putting it on hold until I see some actual, working changes. That'll probably never happen but I just refuse to play Cyro right now, not worth the frustration it brings
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrLasagna wrote: »

Good luck until then.

And server recode? Forget about it, too much expensive. Zero info till now, that should tell you something.

Does ZOS even have anyone on staff that could do the job of rewriting the game engine code, even if it's only a small portion of it?
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭

Good luck until then.

Does ZOS even have anyone on staff that could do the job of rewriting the game engine code, even if it's only a small portion of it?

Honestly not sure. I feel like we never get any kind of communication on that side of the game except for when they release patch notes, set changes, events, etc....some clarification would be nice
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Good luck until then.

@MrLasagna

I did not say they were recording the server. I said they were working on reorganizing the code. Zenimax has said this and updated us since the original announcement. It is similar to what they did with the client already.

And as far as the Hardware, this is a fact as well. PC/NA hardware was replaced earlier this year. Due to the well-known supply chain issues which heavily affect chips procuring such equipment is not as fast as it once was. They can only work on this as fast as they can get the equipment.

Good luck until then.

Who said they were re-writing the engine code?
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In short – just like we did for the client a year or so back when we introduced multithreaded rendering to increase client frame rates – we are going to rearchitect our server. The version of ESO in 2022 is many magnitudes larger and more complex than the ESO that launched in 2014. So, in order to give everyone a good play experience in high-intensity situations like PvP and Trials, we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it. This should dramatically increase server performance, but obviously we will need to test and evaluate as we go along.

We’ve been planning this for the last quarter and we’re starting work on it right now. But, as you can imagine, changing the fundamentals of a huge live game such as ESO is a delicate and multi-stepped process, so expect this to take up much of 2022. Much of the early work is going to happen behind the scenes and we are definitely not going to rush it. A re-architecture of this magnitude will require the entire game to be re-tested and evaluated, as this particular code is the foundation on which the game is built. It will take tons of QA and testing time as well, and I’m sure that when the time comes, we’ll do as large a test as we can on the PTS.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »

In short – just like we did for the client a year or so back when we introduced multithreaded rendering to increase client frame rates – we are going to rearchitect our server. The version of ESO in 2022 is many magnitudes larger and more complex than the ESO that launched in 2014. So, in order to give everyone a good play experience in high-intensity situations like PvP and Trials, we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it. This should dramatically increase server performance, but obviously we will need to test and evaluate as we go along.

We’ve been planning this for the last quarter and we’re starting work on it right now. But, as you can imagine, changing the fundamentals of a huge live game such as ESO is a delicate and multi-stepped process, so expect this to take up much of 2022. Much of the early work is going to happen behind the scenes and we are definitely not going to rush it. A re-architecture of this magnitude will require the entire game to be re-tested and evaluated, as this particular code is the foundation on which the game is built. It will take tons of QA and testing time as well, and I’m sure that when the time comes, we’ll do as large a test as we can on the PTS.

Thx for providing the statement from Matt that they are doing the re-work. However, they are not saying they are reworking the engine itself. Most of the code for the game is above the engine level.

• Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Focused May i ask why you deleted your video? I think it's a good idea to document the performance in Cyrodiil for everyone to see. New players should know what problems this game has before they start investing too much time and money.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    @Focused May i ask why you deleted your video? I think it's a good idea to document the performance in Cyrodiil for everyone to see. New players should know what problems this game has before they start investing too much time and money.

That's a fair point. I was cleaning up my YT page and didn't think it was needed anymore sadly