The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How/What/Why???

Grimtooth
Grimtooth
✭✭✭
Since Beta, I have liked playing in PVP. Though this last year or so not so much. I haven't been able to come up with a build that can last more than a second in pvp. I have built and ran every pvp build that Alcast/Hack the Minotaur/DOTTZ/Deltia's gaming/Lucky Ghost/Xynode/Fengrush and a host of other's. Not one of these builds or the one's I've come up with can last more than a second when confronted by an enemy in Cyrodiil. I used to be able to fight anyone and hold my own well. Sometimes I'd win and sometimes I'd lose. But, for the last year or so anytime an enemy would get within 10 yards of me I would die not knowing what the heck just happened. Then I would look at the after action report and find out that they just seemed to be able to ignore my resistances, ignore my abilities/buffs etc, and hit me with more damage than my total health by 10-50k. Even while holding block and buffs going. While I caused them no damage at all. So, what is going on? Is everyone in Cyrodiil running the cheat engine except me? Because it's not the gear. I pretty much have everything except for a couple trial gear sets. If pvp keeps up like this, then there is no reason to continue to play this game and just take my money somewhere else.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s difficult to understand what’s happening because it sounds like you just saying everything and nothing. A lot of builds are focusing on dmg instead of pen, partially due to the increase in armor and the tank meta almost requiring one defensive set, so without the dmg you will hit like the new jabs.

It kind of sounds like lag is playing a big role. I can’t play Cyro because my controller will end up going through my TV. I, unfortunately, have decided to stick to playing BGs and IC (IC not as bad as Cyro for lag) for that reason.

Pick one or two builds and maybe a couple death recaps and it might be easier to see what could be happening 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grimtooth wrote: »
    Since Beta, I have liked playing in PVP. Though this last year or so not so much. I haven't been able to come up with a build that can last more than a second in pvp. I have built and ran every pvp build that Alcast/Hack the Minotaur/DOTTZ/Deltia's gaming/Lucky Ghost/Xynode/Fengrush and a host of other's. Not one of these builds or the one's I've come up with can last more than a second when confronted by an enemy in Cyrodiil. I used to be able to fight anyone and hold my own well. Sometimes I'd win and sometimes I'd lose. But, for the last year or so anytime an enemy would get within 10 yards of me I would die not knowing what the heck just happened. Then I would look at the after action report and find out that they just seemed to be able to ignore my resistances, ignore my abilities/buffs etc, and hit me with more damage than my total health by 10-50k. Even while holding block and buffs going. While I caused them no damage at all. So, what is going on? Is everyone in Cyrodiil running the cheat engine except me? Because it's not the gear. I pretty much have everything except for a couple trial gear sets. If pvp keeps up like this, then there is no reason to continue to play this game and just take my money somewhere else.

Without knowing everything about your set-ups, it's hard to pinpoint what is going on here. However, it sounds like, from what you've stated, that your builds are very squishy and likely either outdated or just simply a beginner level build. A lot of the creators you have stated you have tried builds from aren't full pvp players or someone I would recommend copying a build from, with the closest being deltia, who is really good at the game, but he does so much other stuff as well and is probably more a pve player than a pvp player. I wouldn't be relying on them for any pvp build outside of low level bg's or running in a large group in cyrodiil.

PvP has changed a lot over the past couple of years, favoring a tankier set up with high sustain that comes with a short, high damage burst window that revolves around timing a bunch of skills and procs to land at essentially the same time instead of going sustained parse monkey dps on enemies.
    Pen is still very strong in pvp and many players run around 22-25k pen (including breach) meaning your armor values when they hit you are closer to 2-8k not the 18k+ that it shows on your character sheet. Crit damage is also very common now, so if you only have the base crit resistance of about 1400 you will get hit very hard.

Best advice I can offer, check your builds, maybe look into running a tankier set-up, mara's balm on the body and rallying cry on the back bar with either a monster set + arena weapon front bar or mythic + 1 pc trainee and arena weapon front bar. Add more health to get to 35k+ health (very easy to get to at the moment) and focus on raw damage (weapon or spell) and recoveries instead of max mag/stam.

most builds should be hitting around 30-35k health minimum (outside of shield magsorc which I wouldn't recommend taking into pvp at all in the current patch or next), 30k resistances, 5k+ weapon or spell damage, 1500 off stat recovery (1200 min, except for dk), 1800-2k main stat recovery and around 8-11k pen with the standard buffs active (resolve + brutality/sorcery). From these values, tweak them for more raw damage/pen/crit damage as you get used to the build combos and defensive rotations and start to try out more damage sets as well.

For skills, your back bar should be buffs, HoTs and maybe a stun or a way to create some distance, your front bar should focus on damage and a way to CC enemies so you can land your burst combo, if you have lag/high ping issues then maybe 1 heal on the front bar as well to lessen any bar swapping issues caused by lag. Ensure that heal over time are constantly up (vigor doesn't need to keep the heal up 100% of the time but ensure the minor resolve part is always active at minimum) as the HoT essentially act as additional mitigation and bonus health making it much harder to bring you down so quickly.

For CP, start with the red tree, the health CP, as well as celerity, and the core combat cost reduction are almost mandatory on most standard specs, the last spot usually given to sustained by suffering or pains refuge. For the blue tree, I think it's called duelists rebuff (direct damage mitigation) as well as the aoe mitigation cp are strong defensively right now (can ignore AoE cp if you have a source of evasion from say nb blur skill), try to limit your damage types to 1 of AoE or single target so that you can buff them using less cp (don't have to all be that type of damage, but as long as most are then its good), for example my stamden has northern storm, spin to win and beetles which are all AoE skills so I buff 3 of the 4 skills for my combo with the AoE damage cp, I can further buff beetles and spin to win with the direct damage cp, (if you have a way to inflict off balance, then that cp can be very strong with +10% instead of +6%) whereas on my sorc I have curse, frags, execute and overload all being single target direct damage so I buff using those 2 cp and leave out the AoE cp as it does nothing for the build.

There are a lot less "cheaters" in eso than people want to admit, yes there will always be a few around, but the issue is far less common than it used to be many years ago, most players have simply gotten better at the game or just found really strong builds for the current patch/meta.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭

surviving is not about copying a setup, but pressing the right buttons at the right time. i could probably survive naked longer than you (until my resources are gone).

for pvp you inevitably need a lot of game experience in pvp and until you have that you will die often.

Keep your buffs and shields up, use dodge rolls at the right time, run away at the right time and use objects to run los at the right time.

Edited by Luede on September 30, 2022 7:50AM
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I don't know how I could have written that any better to get my point across but everyone missed it. @Amerises, lag has always been a problem but I was still able to survive and win fights in spite of it back in the day. @Turtle_Bot everything you said I've known and done a thousand times. The Mara's Balm build- did that yesterday and got wiped in under a second by one guy standing "what you would call 10ft., away". My 35k resistance and 45k health with buffs and shield did nothing to stop them from cutting through me as if I wasn't even there. Thanks for trying but I already knew everything you said and have done it all. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 30, 2022 12:28PM
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I don't know how I could have written that any better to get my point across but everyone missed it. @Amerises, lag has always been a problem but I was still able to survive and win fights in spite of it back in the day. @Turtle_Bot everything you said I've known and done a thousand times. The Mara's Balm build- did that yesterday and got wiped in under a second by one guy standing "what you would call 10ft., away". My 35k resistance and 45k health with buffs and shield did nothing to stop them from cutting through me as if I wasn't even there. Thanks for trying but I already knew everything you said and have done it all. [snip]

I didn't want to troll you, if you say that you fall over in a few seconds, it's either because of a catastrophic server performance, or because of you. In a meta where people can bash each other's heads in for hours without anyone running the risk of getting killed, there's no other option.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 30, 2022 12:29PM
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either lag or a skill issue bro.
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say its lag not a skill issue I have the same problem sometimes and it's usually near a keep where's theres a lot of action. My skills won't fire but the enemy's sure are. And a lot of these so called skilled players use macros Wich you can set to do anything you want.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    CompM4s wrote: »
    Either lag or a skill issue bro.

• xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you play on pc na? Cause I think I have fought you before if your forum name is the same as you in game name. If it is you I think you play perfectly reasonable builds that in any other meta would be good. Its just a really bad patch bro, take a break from eso. Keep an eye on the patch notes and come back when zos gets pvp in order.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.