The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are ToT games really random?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
There have been some concerns that the games are not really random and favor one opponent over the other. What do you think?
Edited by SilverBride on September 29, 2022 9:05PM
PCNA

Are ToT games really random? 29 votes

The games are random.
55%
LADYKiLLERPsilentAustackerfizl101Naomi_Kjaws343El_BorrachoSeaGtGruffspartaxoxoWandering_ImmigrantLady_GaladhielkevkjHeartrageFelisCatusRooatouilleCazador 16 votes
The games favor one opponent over the other.
20%
falcasternub18_ESObeenbadderGrim_SlaughterfishWildRaptorXYniroLunatearz 6 votes
Unsure.
24%
RedTalonNeKryXeSilverBrideJobooAGSAmotticaNeuroticPixelsjoergino 7 votes
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    I'm not sure what I think. There are times that it seems my opponent is getting all the good cards but also times where it seems I am.

I'd love to know if every game is really random or if there are set games that load up in a random manner.
    PCNA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The games are random.
    There have been times when I can predict what the next card will be in certain matches against the NPC. But it still feels random, unlike other games where you can recognize the play pattern or card orders
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The games are random.
    It's random. Luck of the draw is a pretty typical thing in all random card games, even physical ones.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    Physical card games are completely random because they are shuffled in a different way each time. But a card game on a computer most likely has a finite set of possible card combinations programmed into the game.
    PCNA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The games are random.
    Physical card games are completely random because they are shuffled in a different way each time. But a card game on a computer most likely has a finite set of possible card combinations programmed into the game.

Actually, I would think that whichever cards are in the deck (as determined by the patrons which were chosen and whether the player who chose a given patron had upgraded specific cards in that patron's "suit"), they would be shuffled according to some randomizing algorithm. Yes, there would be a finite (but very large) number of possible random orders, but it would be easier to randomize the cards' order through an algorithm than to just roll some random number and then use that result to go read the cards' order out of some predetermined array, with thousands or millions of arrays stored in memory or on disk to cover all of the possible sequences.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Yniro
    Yniro
    ✭✭
    It's not that I'm unlucky, but the game clearly hates me >_>
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The games are random.
    Randomness means some game will favor some players more. Because you get sixes ten times in a row while throwing dice doesn’t mean that they are unbalanced and that the result isn’t random. I don’t see how or why the game would be intentionally skewed toward some players.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With NPCs, it seems balanced.

Against other players, i always get the bad cards. That is the Salt I sprinkle.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• beenbadder
    beenbadder
    ✭✭
    I have never won any games against NPC's so it seems unbalanced to me. Never played another player and never will.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    beenbadder wrote: »
    I have never won any games against NPC's so it seems unbalanced to me. Never played another player and never will.

Would you be willing to play a friendly unranked game against another player who could lend some insights on the moves you make and help you so you could beat the NPCs?

If you are on PC NA I would gladly play some friendly no competition just learning the basics games with you.
    PCNA
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    I never really pay attention to who I play against since doesn't matter to me, I have whispers in a different tab or turned off almost always so its just random to me since don't care,

Edit: I ply sea elf only so kinda don't pay attention to cards. since its gonna be nerfed having fun with it
    Edited by RedTalon on October 3, 2022 4:23AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    The poll will not answer the question. It will just provide what people think but that does not mean we are correct.

Well, those that answer as I did are correct since all of us are truly unsure about the real answer.

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure.
    The poll was to see what others thought about the issue, since it's been brought up in other threads. The option someone chooses is just their opinion on the topic, which is what I was curious about.
    PCNA