The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Buttons: How do they even?" or, "I blocked, really I did"

AramDol
AramDol
✭✭
Buttons.

Many of us have heard of them. Some of those lucky ones among us may have even pressed one in our times. I know, it's hard to keep up with this whirlwind pace of technology.
Is a button pressed? Is it not pressed? It's just so complicated. If only there was a machine that was designed specifically to deal with things that can be in either one of two possible states.

Ahh, I am but a dreamer.

In this video the only addon installed is "Am I Blocking?" by Qcell, and "LibAddonMenu" by sirinsidiator. The overlay of the mouse is provided by OBS, which is doing the video capture.

Edited by ZOS_Bill on September 28, 2022 3:01PM
  • fakingfocused
    fakingfocused
    ✭✭✭
    How many times will I have to hit a button to activate an ability today. Feel like that is the theme of the game lately.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most times I have to hit block and hold it a full 2 seconds before a call out to actually block in dungeons or trials. It blows. I am now going back to my router and modem trying to upgrade and see if I can reduce latency even a little so I can at least reduce the issue somewhat but frankly this is a theme for my entire group usually.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I saw two people in guild with this problem the other day too. Haven’t experienced it myself but I did have some weird desynch with casting abilities at times yesterday and have had occasions of abilities not casting for a while now.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • AramDol
    AramDol
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    ...Haven’t experienced it myself...

All you have to do is click rapidly like in this video. It's trivially reproducible.

It's really quite embarrassing not only that they let this happen, but that we do too.

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AramDol wrote: »
    Soarora wrote: »
    ...Haven’t experienced it myself...

All you have to do is click rapidly like in this video. It's trivially reproducible.

It's really quite embarrassing not only that they let this happen, but that we do too.

Ohhh yeah I see it now. This happens with other spamming too, I've noticed... like netch but more importantly, radiating regen.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • voidavoid
    voidavoid
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure this is not isolated to PC, as I've observed more than a few occasions where block has not worked on xbox series x.

Edit: of course, y'all have the utilities to really demonstrate the problem, so who knows, maybe they'll take a pass at fixing it.
    Edited by voidavoid on September 27, 2022 5:52PM
  • AramDol
    AramDol
    ✭✭
    That would make sense. The Windows side of handling mouse input is really simple and well documented, they would have to truly ZOS it up to break that.

The problem is, I think, not new. I think this is a feature from the beginning.
  • AramDol
    AramDol
    ✭✭
    The networking uses TCP/IP, so that wont lose messages.

My thinking is somewhere in the message handling plumbing is dropping messages.

Could be client side. Could be server side. But it's absolutely buried deep in their code somewhere. A real fundamental issue.