The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

hybrid molten whip is bad

eovogtb16_ESO
eovogtb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
For PVE If you are a DD you pretty much are locked into use this version of whip for seething fury stacks or you simply are just not going to be doing as much damage. As a magicka DD most people only have a stamina pool of 10-15k and using ~2-4 more stamina skills for optimal damage is going to completely drain your stamina if your are not using tripots or heroism pots, which is bad because most of the time, in solo PvE you lack buffs like major sorcery when going this route. Now in trials and optimized groups this is pretty much fine as you have sources of major sorcery and brutality, so you can use tripots or herosim pots to sustain your stamina pool, but outside of that like 4 man dungeons and having to sprint it makes playing a magicka DK feel kind of ***, because running out of stamina in most situations means you are dead.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PVE If you are a DD you pretty much are locked into use this version of whip for seething fury stacks or you simply are just not going to be doing as much damage. As a magicka DD most people only have a stamina pool of 10-15k and using ~2-4 more stamina skills for optimal damage is going to completely drain your stamina if your are not using tripots or heroism pots, which is bad because most of the time, in solo PvE you lack buffs like major sorcery when going this route. Now in trials and optimized groups this is pretty much fine as you have sources of major sorcery and brutality, so you can use tripots or herosim pots to sustain your stamina pool, but outside of that like 4 man dungeons and having to sprint it makes playing a magicka DK feel kind of ***, because running out of stamina in most situations means you are dead.

And consider the Stam DK. You need Ardent skills to proc seething, and then have to use even more magica on the whip.

Then you have to hope there's something left of your 14k magica pool just in case you need to cauterize... or use all but three of the other class skills.

But that's still better than not having a true class spammable :(
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    With dynamic scaling DK ought to be running weapon damage regardless of whether you're magicka or stamina focused, because Mountain's Blessing gives 20s of Minor Brutaliy. There's no point running spell damage unless you're in a group with a Templar proccing Minor Sorcery - and you'll lose that running solo anyway.

You can get your Major Brut/Sorc and Mountain's Blessing proc from Igneous Weapons whilst using tripots or heroism pots. DKs aren't slot-starved and 1 IW cast a minute isn't going to significantly impact DPS.

On a mag build slotting Boundless Vitality and running a food buff like Crunchy Spider Skewer makes a tonne of difference to sustaining a stam or part-stam spammable. If you run into mag issues, reevaluate your slotted CP for more mag/sustain and/or add an infused mag recovery/cost reduction enchant to a jewellery item (or you could do this with a stam recov/ cost reduction enchant and use mag/mag rec. food).
    Edited by Lalothen on September 25, 2022 10:57AM
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And consider the Stam DK. You need Ardent skills to proc seething, and then have to use even more magica on the whip.

Then you have to hope there's something left of your 14k magica pool just in case you need to cauterize... or use all but three of the other class skills.

What about being vamp and using blood for blood as a spammable?
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with OP. My STAMDK struggles to maintain this skill since it chews through her stam when before I could offload that pressure to her mag and then alternate with a stam spammable. Between the cost change and the reduced damage I don't even cast the skill anymore. It's literally just there for the passive buff now. I'm considering even going back to flame lash since it synergizes with dizzy swing.
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I do something wrong but it seems that rapid strike does more damage at my stamdk than buffed whip.
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Make it #stamwhip.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any one still flame lash?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about being vamp and using blood for blood as a spammable?

I do that and it works out rather well when using the Pale Order Ring and/or Burning Embers. Thing is that's not a viable ability for group content as it cuts off outside healing making sets and abilities that give buffs based on healing recieved impossible to give while the "you can't be healed by others" is in effect. Think sets like Spell Power Cure and the like.

Also for raw DPS Blood for Blood only competes with Flame Lash and Molten Whip when your health is below 80% consistently. It's hard to achieve, especially since the Blood Frenzy change that took away it's infinitely scaling health siphon, unless you go super duper risky and cut back on the healing leaving you open for getting killed easier.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • duckdown
    duckdown
    ✭✭✭
    use candid jester coin. Problem solved. i never ran out of stamina or magicka in pve.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the change. My Redguard DK was already a hybrid before any of the hybrid changes happened. I was built to sustain whip just fine before. Now my stamina pool is being taxed too hard and the balance of my character is all thrown off. I'm still trying to find the balance I had before. I didn't need or want this change.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't need or want this change.

Pfft I think that sums up most of U35.

EDIT: But to actually contribute more to the conversation, yeah I was happy in my hybrid land before and I too have been struggling to find my pace on my DK since the change.
    Edited by Janni on October 3, 2022 11:31PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made a topic like this not long after the release, and I saw another poll where the respondents seem in favor of the change.

I think it's here to stay unfortunately
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    I made a topic like this not long after the release, and I saw another poll where the respondents seem in favor of the change.

I think it's here to stay unfortunately

Let's be honest, it wouldn't matter if *nobody* liked it, it's here to stay regardless.
    PS5/NA