The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about skipping the starter tutorial...

dispatcher505_ESO
This may have been asked somewhere else but here goes...

So, I rolled a second toon and had the choice of skipping the starter tutorial, which I did. Ive landed in my city at level 3 but have an empty quest log. Where do I pick up the main story line that I would have been working on once the tutorial was completed?
Edited by dispatcher505_ESO on March 30, 2014 8:51PM
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go back to the place where you first came to the main city, nearby should be a quest giver which will take you to the starter island.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    Inversus wrote: »
    If you go back to the place where you first came to the main city, nearby should be a quest giver which will take you to the starter island.

OK, but if I skipped the starter island why would I need to go back? Do I need to go back to get the original story ques?

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I rolled a second toon and had the choice of skipping the starter island, which I did. Ive landed in my city at level 3 but have no quests. How do I get the story questline I would have had, had I come out of the starter island? I have to be able to pickup the story quest somewhere so that I can continue onward.

One thing: you don't select the option to skip starter island on your second character, you select the option to skip the coldharbor tutorial sequence. Whether you skip or not, you always appear in the city.

To get back to the starting islands, talk to the NPC nearby where you appear in the city. In daggerfall, it's a girl standing directly in front of the house that you are in when you arrive from coldharbor (dont know the other areas but it should always be very easy to spot NPC)
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    OK, I guess I didnt skip the starter island, I skipped the tutorial. After character creation I had the option to "skip" so I did. When I hit skip it dumped me in a town at level 3 with no quests. Where do I pick up the main story quests from there? I have to go back to what I skipped?
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    Sharee wrote: »

So, I rolled a second toon and had the choice of skipping the starter island, which I did. Ive landed in my city at level 3 but have no quests. How do I get the story questline I would have had, had I come out of the starter island? I have to be able to pickup the story quest somewhere so that I can continue onward.

One thing: you don't select the option to skip starter island on your second character, you select the option to skip the coldharbor tutorial sequence. Whether you skip or not, you always appear in the city.

To get back to the starting islands, talk to the NPC nearby where you appear in the city. In daggerfall, it's a girl standing directly in front of the house that you are in when you arrive from coldharbor (dont know the other areas but it should always be very easy to spot NPC)

OK, I guess I didnt skip the starter island, I skipped the tutorial. After character creation I had the option to "skip" so I did. When I hit skip it dumped me in a town at level 3 with no quests. Where do I pick up the main story quests from there? I have to go back to what I skipped?

Edited by dispatcher505_ESO on March 30, 2014 8:20PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As i said, the main story (the part of it on the starter island) can be done if you talk to the NPC close to where you appear in the city, about going back to the starter island.

In daggerfall covenant, its a girl right in front of the house where you appear in the city. She will tell you to go to the docks and talk to a guy on a ship there, he will take you to Stros M'kai.

I dont know exactly where the relevant NPC's are in the other faction areas as i did not make a character there, but it should be very easy to spot there as well.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I have had little (no) experience with skipped storyline (damn you 5 day early access'ers). From what I've heard, you should have the main storyline in your quest journal (click j) under 'Main'
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • moonshinemicky
    No you don't go back to the tutorial but you could go to the starter island. The game auto skips everyone over that. (I won't get into why and my thoughts on the process).

In the city you got dropped in, go find the boatswain by the docks usually. They will take you to the Starter Island and you should find many quests there to do. (though there technically should be some where you are).
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    As i said, the main story (the part of it on the starter island) can be done if you talk to the NPC close to where you appear in the city, about going back to the starter island.

In daggerfall covenant, its a girl right in front of the house where you appear in the city. She will tell you to go to the docks and talk to a guy on a ship there, he will take you to Stros M'kai.

I dont know exactly where the relevant NPC's are in the other faction areas as i did not make a character there, but it should be very easy to spot there as well.

OK, I will try to find the NPC. Its a bit confusing I guess lol. Seems odd having to go back to move forward lol.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I will try to find the NPC. Its a bit confusing I guess lol. Seems odd having to go back to move forward lol.

I believe you just need to do this if you want to experience the starter islands. You don't need to go back to them to do the main story from the point where you arrive at the city. Might check your quest journal tho.
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    No you don't go back to the tutorial but you could go to the starter island. The game auto skips everyone over that. (I won't get into why and my thoughts on the process).

In the city you got dropped in, go find the boatswain by the docks usually. They will take you to the Starter Island and you should find many quests there to do. (though there technically should be some where you are).

What an odd and annoying way to "skip" the tutorial. I think I will just do the tutorial to save the headache.
  • dispatcher505_ESO

I believe you just need to do this if you want to experience the starter islands. You don't need to go back to them to do the main story from the point where you arrive at the city. Might check your quest journal tho.

Thats the problem, I got dumped straight in after skipping with an empty quest journal. Thats why Im tryiing to figure out what to do. Seems if they are going to let you skip some stuff, at least put the story mission in your journal so that you can just continue on from there and not have to go searching for it somewhere else.
  • jimitalent
    You Don't get the next main story quest until level 5 iirc, just do other quests to level up and then you will get the quest to talk to the prophet.
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    jimitalent wrote: »
    You Don't get the next main story quest until level 5 iirc, just do other quests to level up and then you will get the quest to talk to the prophet.

Ok. thank you
  • moonshinemicky

What an odd and annoying way to "skip" the tutorial. I think I will just do the tutorial to save the headache.

I hate to break it to you but it auto skips everyone over the starter islands regardless of whether you do the tutorial or not, from the get go. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me and story seems wonky now. So tutorial or not you still have to find the boatswain and return to Kenthari's roost or whatever your equivalent starter area is. Good luck you guys :)

• dispatcher505_ESO

I hate to break it to you but it auto skips everyone over the starter islands regardless of whether you do the tutorial or not, from the get go. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me and story seems wonky now. So tutorial or not you still have to find the boatswain and return to Kenthari's roost or whatever your equivalent starter area is. Good luck you guys :)

OK, that makes more sense now. I was wondering why I had the option of going to Kenthari's Roost if I was picking up quests where I landed. Seemed to me at the time being a bit confusing as where to go. Stay where I was and continue questing, or go to Kenthari's and start there? This helped, thank you. But wow, what a bass ackwards way of doing it.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it doesn't spawn your character right in front of a Level 40 mace-wielding Dremora .... so there's that.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always go back to the roost later on, it's hilarious once you are up to say level 15, you can just walk into a bandit camp and take the lot of them.

The reason for the way it is now, is because of some beta players that were finding it all a little slow, so a back flip came from ZOS to include the skip of the starter islands, many people that played the game in beta both before and after the introduction of that were confused, it's why it doesn't flow as well as the rest of the game IMO.

If you are in a rhythm with current quests, leave it and continue on. You can always go back their in the capacity of a big fish in a small pond. ;)
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• dispatcher505_ESO
    kijima wrote: »
    You can always go back to the roost later on, it's hilarious once you are up to say level 15, you can just walk into a bandit camp and take the lot of them.

The reason for the way it is now, is because of some beta players that were finding it all a little slow, so a back flip came from ZOS to include the skip of the starter islands, many people that played the game in beta both before and after the introduction of that were confused, it's why it doesn't flow as well as the rest of the game IMO.

If you are in a rhythm with current quests, leave it and continue on. You can always go back their in the capacity of a big fish in a small pond. ;)

OK, thats makes a whole lot more sense now, thank you. I wont even bother going then, Ill just hook up with quests in the area I was dropped in and continue on. I had no idea that the main story quests only popped up to do at certain levels, I always thought they would be a persistent thing in my quest journal.
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    How it was in the BETA Trial was that If U skipped the tutorial on your second character, the Prophet will appear to you later. It's no big deal. Don't worry. :) It just keeps you from having to do the tutorial in Cold Harbor over and over and over that way. :)
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • Paks_ESO
    Paks_ESO
    ✭✭
    You don't have to go back to the starter isle to progress. You can go if you want to for the experience, but it's not necessary because there are quests in the main city where you appear that you can do to get 2 or 3 levels. At level 5, as someone mentioned above, The Prophet will appear to you and start you on the main quest line.
    PC/NA
  • Zyphix
    Zyphix
    Don't forget to at least visit the starter island (if you skipped the quests there) to pick up an extra 3 skyshards.
    I always carry dice, because that's how I roll.
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    Zyphix wrote: »
    Don't forget to at least visit the starter island (if you skipped the quests there) to pick up an extra 3 skyshards.

Yeah, still have to figure out how to find these. That and figure out what exactly a Soul Gem is and does.
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The Starter Island no longer exists. Zenimax upgraded what used to be Starter Island to a higher level. You can go there, but it is not a good place for a beginner. The starter quests have all been moved to the cities. You should not skip the tutorial because Cold Harbour is a good place to level up to level 5 or 6.
  • Decora
    Decora

Yeah, still have to figure out how to find these. That and figure out what exactly a Soul Gem is and does.

The easiest way to find the Sky Shards is to open up the Achievments tab and read the clues. It will tell you how many Shards are in the area and a general idea of where to find them. IE "Across the Water from the West Wall" - found literally across the water from the west wall of the city or "About to Set Sail" - on a boat in the harbor.

Soul Gems capture and hold the soul of whatever creature you cast Soul Capture on and then kill. The empty gems can be purchased from Mystic merchants or found as drops and can be used to resurrect your character where it is instead of at a Wayshrine. You can also use them to recharge the enchantment on a weapon once you run out of charges.
    Edited by Decora on March 31, 2014 4:11AM
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    Decora wrote: »

The easiest way to find the Sky Shards is to open up the Achievments tab and read the clues. It will tell you how many Shards are in the area and a general idea of where to find them. IE "Across the Water from the West Wall" - found literally across the water from the west wall of the city or "About to Set Sail" - on a boat in the harbor.

Soul Gems capture and hold the soul of whatever creature you cast Soul Capture on and then kill. The empty gems can be purchased from Mystic merchants or found as drops and can be used to resurrect your character where it is instead of at a Wayshrine. You can also use them to recharge the enchantment on a weapon once you run out of charges.

Ahh, thank you very much.