Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

DYES Question

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
How does ZOS go about picking which dyes to sell? Will we ever get a black dye?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 18, 2022 4:25PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can earn various black dyes in game through the main quest (Coldharbour Ash), reaching Legate, and through an achievement from Vateshran Hollows (Void Pitch).

There are also dye stamps available from level-up rewards that have black in them.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. But those dyes don't let me dye costumes.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. But those dyes don't let me dye costumes.

Costumes can absolutely be dyed with them, both the individual dyes and the stamps (which work the same way as ones from the Crown Store). Using the achievement dyes just requires ESO+ or a free trial, whenever one comes around. It might be that you see the next free trial before a dye you like in the crown store. All depends on the marketing department, and they don’t tend to give much away in advance except what they put in the monthly showcase.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you can't dye costumes, you have no eso PLUS.
    I have one account with eso+, and one without.

On the one without, I wait for the free eso+ trial week every 6 months or so, to dye all my newly achieved costumes at once.

You alternatively could subscribe to eso+ for only 1 month to do it right now.

Alternatively look in the crown crate section, you usually find some dyes there with different variations of white and black. You can buy those for crown gems.

To add another black, shining like Latex with a slight green shimmer: from the alchemy station for researching different combinations of alchemy ingredients (see achievements - crafting for details).
    Edited by markulrich1966 on September 17, 2022 6:45AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case it's not clear dyes on your costumes are saved even if you don't have an active subscription.

I don't normally subscribe, but I prefer to wait for a free trial or a time when I am buying ESO+ to dye my costumes, rather than using stamps, because then I can freely choose the colours (from the ones I have unlocked) and where they go rather than being restricted to what the stamp gives me.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can get "Noxophilic Black"- just by becoming a vampire, you get it as soon as you turn, then you can cure yourself if you want(but I'd wait till I hit Vamp lev10 for Lamae's white dye) it's not a pitch dark black tho, that would be coldharbour ash.

The only stamps that currently have black(and it's the Nox Black), are the ones sold for 5 gems/ 360 seals of endeavors-in the crown store, and they're not solid, but you can preview them on your costume, and see if you want to go thru the process of becoming one of Mother Lamae's Children to get the dye.

• Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks, guys. I have been an ESO Plus member and didn't notice this feature.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would never recommend getting the dye stamps from the crown store for 2 reasons
    1. you cannot customize which dye slot takes which color from the stamp
    2. it is a 1 time consumable that you would have to buy more of, it does not unlock additional dye colors
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities