The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CHANGE FATIGUE IN ESO

marius_buys
marius_buys
✭✭✭✭✭
Multiple updates, weekly patches, hot fixes, stealth nerfs/buffs/changes, quarterly class/weapon/race/ability changes...

Do you suffer from change fatigue due to the constant alteration and adjustment to abilities, equipment and mechanics in the game?
I get that changes drive cash flow of irl money and keeps the game alive and interesting but isn't it just a bit too hectic, or am I missing the point?
Also I'm particularly interested in what do you do to alleviate ESO change fatigue.
Lets have a good ol community polly poll shall we?
Edited by marius_buys on September 21, 2022 7:44PM

CHANGE FATIGUE IN ESO 318 votes

YES, I SUFFER FROM CHANGE FATIGUE
77% 248 votes
NO, I DO NOT SUFFER FROM CHANGE FATIGUE
18% 58 votes
OTHER, I WILL ELABORATE IN THE COMMENTS
3% 12 votes
  • GreatGildersleeve
    GreatGildersleeve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. U35 did me in and I no longer pay/play. Can’t have change fatigue when the changes are what drove me from the game. It’s quite freeing.
  • Jman100582
    Jman100582
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like change simply because I pvp, having a change in the meta is quite nice from time to time. That being said having a meta change like 7 times a year is wayyyyyy too much. I wouldn’t mind if zos made meta combat shake ups like 2-3 times a year just for the sake of keeping combat interesting. Well as long as it’s balanced anyway
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jman100582 wrote: »
    I like change simply because I pvp, having a change in the meta is quite nice from time to time. That being said having a meta change like 7 times a year is wayyyyyy too much. I wouldn’t mind if zos made meta combat shake ups like 2-3 times a year just for the sake of keeping combat interesting. Well as long as it’s balanced anyway

Yeh, I agree with this.

Change does keep it fresh. But, too much of it is just hassle.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't follow the meta, newest sets, and changing skills, and you will be fine. My main is still wearing Morrowind old gear, and he hardly does less damage than my other characters. So there is no need to update him yet. (did give him a tank armory spec last week)

If you are trying to keep up with every small change, on every single character, on every single class, and also feel the need to collect transmutes to do so, you will tire yourself out very quickly. I don't do any of that, have plenty of transmutes, and my characters are all fine. Most even have two armory specs.

Some people stress themselves for no reason, and the tiniest of things will set them off(U35). In situations they themselves create for themselves.

I really miss the 2000's gaming community, when everyone who gamed was really a gamer, and when players still had patience and respect for eachother. Most players playing now are no longer interrested in the journey or having fun, they rush to the end. They are not really gamers. You can clearly see this in dungeons and everywhere else, where players just run through mobs to get to the shiny goodie at the end. And then complain there is nothing to do, or there being too little content.

To stop gaming fatique just do what you want to do, I have an entire checklist I want to go through still: Getting every character enough skillpoints to max their crafting and anything else they need, level excavation on all characters, complete the base game on all characters(all alliances + main quest), complete the important DLC's on all characters(DB, thieves guild, etc)... gonna take years, and who knows what I, or the game, comes up with in the meantime! Especially as the process is interrupted constantly with other things I want to do, like events or anything else I feel like.

PS: Your caps is on! (title)
    Edited by Sarannah on September 13, 2022 8:19AM
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's not even 7 balance changes a year... Where do you even get that number?

There are 4 major content patches a year, and incremental patches almost never include balance changes, unless it's to tweak buggy or blatantly overpowered/underpowered sets.

There's 3 or 4 balance changes a year. Sometimes just 2, since ZOS likes to keep the chapters relatively light on balance changes, so people can get used to new systems and content.

I believe that "change fatigue" is something that the community brings onto themselves by treating each week of the PTS as a final set-in-stone change, when in reality it is just what it says. A test. ZOS probably willingly releases PTS patches that they know aren't perfect, in order to get feedback on it.

I've seen people talk about "change fatigue" in regards to Oakensoul. An item that has received ONE balance patch in all the time it's been around.

The other problem is that the endgame community's standards are so unreasonably tight and strict, that even a minor change is talked about as if it's a "game changing patch" that "forces me to re-learn my class". Yet everywhere you go, you see people running the same sets and rotations for 6-18 months. Sometimes even longer.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    a meta change like 7 times a year

There's not even 7 balance changes a year...
    Balance change isn't the same as a meta change. ZOS balances the game, generally, 3-4 times per year as per a balance change in each quarterly update. Unless something is bugged, in which case it might get into an incremental patch. A meta change is whatever does the best, and people work out the "best" over time. What seemed to work on PTS and day one of Live isn't what we're using now, only a couple weeks later. It's not just the target dummy you need to look at, either. Certain classes perform better in certain content, so meta, broadly, shifts depending on content as well.

For example, people were trying out Maelstrom staff on PTS in the first 2-3 weeks, but it got changed and bugged in the last couple weeks of PTS and then for a couple weeks on Live. People tried Vateshran daggers (situational), then went two-piece dual wield (Relequen/Whorl + Pillar/Aegis Caller + Mythic + Monster set, and that's without considering tank sets, healer sets, and support DD sets), and now some are settling on Blackrose daggers. Gone are the days when a meta would be worked out in the final week of PTS and people would farm the upcoming meta ahead of time. Over the last couple years, meta has taken time to trickle down as people test various sets via parsing for hours a day and then testing builds in actual content. Meta can shift dozens of times over a year depending on balance + content + potential bugs.

And all of this considers only end game PvE, not even looking at PvP (which we can also just lump in with "different content").

Edited by Troodon80 on September 13, 2022 8:55AM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    a meta change like 7 times a year

There's not even 7 balance changes a year...
    Balance change isn't the same as a meta change. ZOS balances the game, generally, 3-4 times per year as per a balance change in each quarterly update. Unless something is bugged, in which case it might get into an incremental patch. A meta change is whatever does the best, and people work out the "best" over time. What seemed to work on PTS and day one of Live isn't what we're using now, only a couple weeks later. It's not just the target dummy you need to look at, either. Certain classes perform better in certain content, so meta, broadly, shifts depending on content as well.

For example, people were trying out Maelstrom staff on PTS in the first 2-3 weeks, but it got changed and bugged in the last couple weeks of PTS and then for a couple weeks on Live. People tried Vateshran daggers (situational), then went two-piece dual wield (Relequen/Whorl + Pillar/Aegis Caller + Mythic + Monster set, and that's without considering tank sets, healer sets, and support DD sets), and now some are settling on Blackrose daggers. Gone are the days when a meta would be worked out in the final week of PTS and people would farm the upcoming meta ahead of time. Over the last couple years, meta has taken time to trickle down as people test various sets via parsing for hours a day and then testing builds in actual content. Meta can shift dozens of times over a year depending on balance + content + potential bugs.

And all of this considers only end game PvE, not even looking at PvP (which we can also just lump in with "different content").

At that point, we're not even talking about "change fatigue", we're talking about "theorycrafting fatigue".

People trying to squeeze every single ounce of power out of their character. Players that will throw fun out the window, and stop using a build they enjoy simply because some twitch streamer found something that deals 1-3% more damage.

That is absolutely self-inflicted.

Is that the fault of ZOS? Mosty not. Maybe indirectly, since this obsessive and self-sabotaging player behavior is the result of players trying to beat extremely difficult content.

Making HM trials, trifectas, and other difficult content considerably easier would probably be the best way to fix that problem. But then you'll have tons of complaints from endgame players, saying they're just melting everything and skipping mechanics with 100k+ DPS. So... What can you do?
    Edited by Marto on September 13, 2022 9:14AM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do suffer from it, a few changes are always needed but I feel like they shouldn't be so big that we need to change our entire builds, gear, skills... When I finally find something that I like to use or a playstyle, I always have in my mind that it will most likely be nerfed or they might change the effects of my skills or gear. I CAN'T play how I want. They should learn from another very popular MMO with a free trial, where big changes are made very carefully.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just play healers. Their meta hasn't changed significantly in years.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I picked "other". I don't mind changes, small balance shifts, etc. But not broad, sweeping changes to half the skills in the game. And for the love god conserve some class identity. Making every single target dot do the exact same damage with the same duration is boring and lame.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Don't follow the meta, newest sets, and changing skills, and you will be fine. My main is still wearing Morrowind old gear, and he hardly does less damage than my other characters. So there is no need to update him yet. (did give him a tank armory spec last week)

If you are trying to keep up with every small change, on every single character, on every single class, and also feel the need to collect transmutes to do so, you will tire yourself out very quickly. I don't do any of that, have plenty of transmutes, and my characters are all fine. Most even have two armory specs.

Some people stress themselves for no reason, and the tiniest of things will set them off(U35). In situations they themselves create for themselves.

I really miss the 2000's gaming community, when everyone who gamed was really a gamer, and when players still had patience and respect for eachother. Most players playing now are no longer interrested in the journey or having fun, they rush to the end. They are not really gamers. You can clearly see this in dungeons and everywhere else, where players just run through mobs to get to the shiny goodie at the end. And then complain there is nothing to do, or there being too little content.

To stop gaming fatique just do what you want to do, I have an entire checklist I want to go through still: Getting every character enough skillpoints to max their crafting and anything else they need, level excavation on all characters, complete the base game on all characters(all alliances + main quest), complete the important DLC's on all characters(DB, thieves guild, etc)... gonna take years, and who knows what I, or the game, comes up with in the meantime! Especially as the process is interrupted constantly with other things I want to do, like events or anything else I feel like.

PS: Your caps is on! (title)

Yes I find that new type of ego driven toxic player quite intolerable and btw I was born with caps on.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do suffer from it, a few changes are always needed but I feel like they shouldn't be so big that we need to change our entire builds, gear, skills... When I finally find something that I like to use or a playstyle, I always have in my mind that it will most likely be nerfed or they might change the effects of my skills or gear. I CAN'T play how I want. They should learn from another very popular MMO with a free trial, where big changes are made very carefully.

I agree, carefully with changes. I used to be involved in water polo. The rules have not changed in tens of years and the one time there was a rule change considered the olympic board sent a fact finding team to every water polo community/club in the world to find out what their opinion is if they would change the rule.

Now I'm not saying lets go to extremes but if ZOS could/would only take the red flags raised in the test server seriously there would be way less fallout. Bear in mind that game devs co-operate or work under instruction from corporate to have a new op set or op weapon in new dlc that would act as a driver to have players poney up the moolah only to nerf it after 3 or 4 months, but I honestly feel there needs to be no apple cart tipping involved.
    Edited by marius_buys on September 13, 2022 9:59AM
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change never stop being annoying, but it does give me a reason to pop into the PTS to change some things around. If I didn't go into the PTS to know exactly what I needed to change to get back what I lost, I'd probably would have quit years ago.
    cjh01hinzvog.gif
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't, but that's because I don't do vet dungeons and trials and rarely do PvP, and on top of that I've never been interested in following the meta in any game. It's relatively rare that balance updates affect my builds enough that I need to change them and when I do make changes it's usually because I want to.

For example I'm planning to see if there's a good alternative to Biting Jabs for my templar, but that's because I never really liked that skill anyway (I don't use it in my fun open-world build) and use it because I know it's expected for a DPS templar, so if there's something else which is equally good now that might be an improvement for me (even if that's because jabs was nerfed).
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is absolutely self-inflicted.
    Any sort of change in an MMO is "self-inflicted." That's not even a point to debate since no one is forced to play the game, let alone grind a new meta or participate in the hardest content. Change fatigue is still change fatigue regardless of what spin you want to put on it. The easiest solution, obviously, is to stop chasing the meta, or take a break and play a different game, come back later, etc. But there's no point trying to redefine what individual change fatigue is.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Too many radical yo yo changes drove me out of ESO. U35 was the final straw. Have fun everyone!
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get 'Bad Change' fatigue...
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I usually just tank these days there aren't a whole lot of changes that affect me personally. But I do get fatigued because of how the changes affect other players that I encounter in random groups.
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not suffering from change fatigue yet. I've had some disappointments in the past, to get over that I find alternatives, so I've changed my play-style a few times. Also love those players that find and share solutions I didn't know existed, meta and non-meta alike.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have fatigue its the reason I don't try and farm for sets anymore or do DLC dungeons cause by the time I get all the gear and gold it out, relearn my rotation I have maybe two months until that gear is useless for a game that is 7 years old we shouldn't be having these massive skill changes every 3 months maybe a percent or 2 here and there at this point I think the combat dev team is straight incompetent and needs to be fired there is no plan I wish at this point they would just stop with these balance changes and make them once a year.

To the combat team I get it you have to do this in order to generate sales make all the gear useless and now people have to go farm and buy eso plus ect but for some it has a negative effect I just don't care anymore
    this line of thinking just doesn't make sense

if people played the game more because there happy with there build and have some time with it won't they be more inclined to buy from the crown store if you have these massive quitting epidemics every 3 months doesn't that hurt the bottom line?
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would suffer more, bit I stopped doing anything different at No Proc change. I ignored everything after that. I am still all magplar, I do not have any mythics nor do I chase them. AWA was anathema to me.

Hybridization is a mystery to me.

I am a Templar, now untouchable and am waiting out end of sub.

One bright note is that since jabs was ruined I have found Radiant Opression and for first time instead on being support and healer I am the one who avenges in pvp.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In one if Rich's tweets he boasts that hes finally able to break 100k after some changes. I find it a rather misleading comment, since the buffs to the dummy changed, but regardless, "after some changes" was the key phrase.

I take that to mean that if we want to salvage our DPS numbers, we need to change our builds. Maybe its a small change, maybe its not, but its a change none-the-less. I think that asking us to change our builds and rotations potentially up to every 3 months in a game where many already struggle is a bit much.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess I am too "casual" to even notice the changes (unless they are graphical). But I do wonder why constant adjustment is necessary. Isn't anything tested before release, and then again on the PTS?
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Casual and I don't pvp. Change which is a disaster to some people often only makes things slightly more tedious for me. Of course a "rework" may make some things unusable for me too. Then I do not use that. Too bad.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character that I take into veteran content, which is my main. My main is built around destructive power with a touch of survival, and the crit-stacking gear I used to wear into trials still suits them well.

The rest of my characters are there for roleplay, and they wear sets that fit their fighting style and lore. These are sets I can generally find in the overland or just craft myself.

As a result, I don’t often find myself forced to replace my gear during update cycles. I still have to replace my skills once in a while, but it usually doesn’t take long to find something decent to swap in.

If I were in proc PvP or a veteran progression trials group, I’d probably be more frustrated.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently taking a time out from this game. I appreciate changes that improve things or add content, but when they screw with my build that I've worked so hard on. That gets old fast.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I'm currently taking a time out from this game. I appreciate changes that improve things or add content, but when they screw with my build that I've worked so hard on. That gets old fast.

That covers it for me - except the family and I still play the game. We just don't pay for ESO Plus anymore. We had two ESO plus accounts, now down to zero. There's some change for you.

If these "devs" figure out that they shouldn't be jerking us back and forth every 3 months on combat and start acting somewhat human we may re-up.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change fatigue hit me pretty hard around Elsweyr, and I just stopped. I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my gear since. I stopped making alts. I stopped chasing anything that was adding to my burn out.

Yes, it makes me less effective at group content and PVP.

But it also means I don't waste my time and effort changing my builds according to the Dev's whims every three months.

It also means that I completely avoid the cycle by which ZOS releases a powerful new mythic, players spend hours doing gameplay they don't enjoy to get it, and then ZOS nerfs it 3 months later.

ESO is an MMO. There's always new players coming in to replace veterans who are getting burned out for various reasons. So change fatigue really isn't a problem for the Devs, so much as it is a part of the MMO lifecycle.
  • Timorelle
    Timorelle
    ✭✭✭
    ... I'm not gonna lie, when I first read the title I thought you were asking them to change the fatigue system ("fatigue" being what it's called in WoW if you stray too far out to sea; it's a bar that slowly drains and if you're still in the area when the bar is fully depleted you die). And my knee-jerk reaction was "Oh yes, I agree, please change it; I have thalassophobia and I am ever so tired of feeling triggered being eaten by slaughterfish!"

But...... obviously that's not what you were going for, so I'll show myself out. *slinks away*
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s great that we get new content 4 times a year, but i would rather they limit the base combat changes to once or twice a year with more time to tune it.