Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What Characters do you Play? U34-U35: Then vs. Now

merpins
merpins
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
With how big the changes were between these updates, I'm wondering what characters did you play in U34, are you still playing those characters and why, and what characters are you playing now? I'll start:

Khajiit Stam Warden. U34 and for several updates prior to U35, my secondary was a Khajiit Stamden. It's been my highest DPS character for a couple years now, even over my main. U35 does't change that. It doesn't do the damage it did, but it's still, by far, my highest DPS character. It does 50k dps on the 3m dummy. It did more in U34, about 65k against the 3m dummy or 110k against the trial dummy. It's also my main now for reasons I'll get into when I get to my old main.

Imperial Stam Sorcerer. U34 I made the character. I had it for a while before U34, but I wanted to try out the Oakensoul Ring on it. It was great! It did fine damage, 45k dps against the 3m dummy and 85k dps against the trial dummy during U34. I no longer play this toon, however. The nerfs to Oakensoul and sorc brought the dps down to under 30k on the 3m dummy, no longer worth running in any content. I'll probably remake it if there is some positive changes in U36, but it probably won't use Oakensoul since I don't see it being buffed anymore than it already is, which is a shame.

Altmer Mag Templar. This has been my main since 2015. Before that, my main was a Nord Templar with no concept of Stam or Mag, who is now my dedicated crafter. My altmer magplar didn't do the best damage out of my toons, but it had the most survivability, was fun to play, and did ~40k dps on the 3m dummy or 85k on the trial dummy in U34. It's no longer my main, and is a dedicated crafter with U35, and I do not see myself ever playing it again after U35. I've gone into great detail in other threads and in my own threads as to why I dislike the change to Jabs, why the animation is bad (I'm a professional animator and know a number of other professional animators that dislike the new jabs animation for the same reasons I do). I won't go into it here. But unless Jabs is reverted to its old animation, or they go in and fix the new animation thoroughly, I will never play templar again. Which sucks, since I've mained it since beta.

Argonian Mag Nightblade. This was my secondary back in 2014. I played this pretty much since the game came out almost as frequently as my Mag Templar main, and just as much as my original main before 2015. I played it up until around 2018. NB has gotte pretty consistent nerfs over the years, and at one point it got so bad that I quit this character, even though I was only at the middle of mid tier at the time. Never saw any reason to go back to it until this patch. 2 of my 3 characters I played died, and nb got some buffs so I put some gear on it and am sitting at a nice 43k dps on the 3m dummy. Not the best ever, but it does well in all content.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on September 6, 2022 1:40AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still play my wardens and sorcs. They're the ones at cp levels. And when I need to play the other classes (everything but necro as I don't have any - EWWW) they're fine. They're all fine - because I don't do group content or pvp.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Played Imperial DK tank before, still play him now, will play him to the end. I'm not about to abandon a character that has grown along with the game from its early days in 2014. I haven't been on my Imperial necro tank in a while, but he's a nice chap who just wants to raise the dead and create unregulated cemeteries everywhere, so he'll be along for the journey as well.

I understand people's frustration with U35 and why they might need to change their toons to adapt. However, I feel I'd lose a part of myself if I abandoned my armored punchbag.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I still play my wardens and sorcs. They're the ones at cp levels. And when I need to play the other classes (everything but necro as I don't have any - EWWW) they're fine. They're all fine - because I don't do group content or pvp.

Lol I don't play necro either. Or DK. Similar playstyles imo. Lots of dots and aoes.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Played Imperial DK tank before, still play him now, will play him to the end. I'm not about to abandon a character that has grown along with the game from its early days in 2014. I haven't been on my Imperial necro tank in a while, but he's a nice chap who just wants to raise the dead and create unregulated cemeteries everywhere, so he'll be along for the journey as well.

I understand people's frustration with U35 and why they might need to change their toons to adapt. However, I feel I'd lose a part of myself if I abandoned my armored punchbag.

Yeah, I get ya there. I'm abandoning mine out of principle as an animator. My main reason to play templar was jabs. I don't care if it got nerfed, I would have played templar regardless of any nerfs ZoS came up with to kill the class. But I can't condone poorly made animation, so I won't be playing templar anymore because of that.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the same characters now as I did then, with no changes to their builds or skills:

PC NA Main - Breton Stamina/Health Sorcerer - Heavy Armor, Two-Handed Melee, Sword and Board Backbar
    PC EU Main - Redguard Stamina/Health Nightblade - Heavy Armor, Two-Handed Melee, Bow Backbar
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My healer and tank are the same though I changed the morph of illustrious on my healer and stopped my necro healer project for the time being. I've been working on learning nightblade and dk for dps to partially replace my warden since I lost 10k in-content dps and don't want to make any changes until I see U36.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main difference is that my warden is getting far more game time than my templar. It used to be the other way around, but... my templar used to fatally poke his opponents with divine light, and now he dusts them off with a golden mop. Not a fan.
    I can reverse the DPS loss on the templar by simply going ham with meta sets, but I am not making or improving any gear until I see what U36 looks like. Then I will decide if I´d rather adapt my characters in game, or adapt myself out of the game.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play mostly the same characters as I have. I have one of each class. I rarely play warden or necro and almost never sorc. Of the three that I do play, the only significant change was to my magplar, also my main and only master crafter.

Ive all but stopped playing the magplar. The new jabs are pretty bad. I dont want to use them and I dont want to play a magplar without them.

Fortunately my Imperial DK is nearly a 9 trait crafter and is still fun to play.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My templar healer is going on the shelf. The healing nerfs make being a healer in a dungeon more stress than fun and with nerf to jabs she isn't much of a DPS either.

My DK seems mostly ok. Oakensoul still provides a good one-bar build.

I'm working on a healer build for my nightblade. I really like healing in dungeons and hope this will work for me.

I really hate U35. I'm on the console so I'm just starting to see what others have been seeing for a while. It's really horrible. There is no good here.
    PS5/NA
  • EldritchSun
    EldritchSun
    ✭✭✭
    Before - Imperial Necromancer tank/overlander, High Elf nightblade healer/overlander, dunmer dragonknight tank. Now - no one.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    U34: pve- stamsorc, magplar, stamplar, stamblade, magblade, dk tank, warden tank. Pvp- stamdk, stamden, magblade, templar healtank. (also crafter and a few characters on backburner).

U35: Pve- none. Pvp- none
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    U34: pve- stamsorc, magplar, stamplar, stamblade, magblade, dk tank, warden tank. Pvp- stamdk, stamden, magblade, templar healtank. (also crafter and a few characters on backburner).

U35: Pve- none. Pvp- none

Was close to that for me as well.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I switched my main dps from a Breton magplar to a Dunmer magblade. So far it has been OK. Just have to get used to the different rotation.