The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

On average, how many opponents can you take on in Cyrodiil or Imperial City?

moleculardrugs
moleculardrugs
✭✭✭✭
Most of the fights I encounter when I go in solo or with a friend (AW or IC) have us pitted against large groups of players. I am not that great with PvP (as compared to 1v1) and wanted to ask the community on, realistically, how many opponents have they fought before and won?

I have seen a few players be able to take out 4-5 people but they use the environment i.e. the towers at resources in Cyrodiil. Also, bombers are good at taking out large groups of people, but I am more interested in the non-stealth way to take on large groups of players and also ways that allow me to survive and go on to fight more (not respawn at a flag or fort). In terms of IC, and from what I’ve seen, the majority of the people who do well with many opponents are those with high mobility, such as Sorcerers or Nightblades. Dragonknights are very good when they fight within buildings against large numbers of players because of the buffer time they get while evading opponents and also dealing/taking damage.

It would be nice to learn a few tips or to hear about people’s experiences while PvPing in ESO. Thank you!
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about this recently.

I too struggle with some 1v1, though I'm practicing as much as I can. What I've learned during that practice is that it mostly comes down to three factors. Confidence, aggressiveness, and an understanding of your skills. Your build is also important. However, having a good build won't guarantee a win.

Confidence will make your fighting go smoother because you won't be second-guessing your every move. This is also where understanding your skills comes in. If you don't know each of your skills like the back of your hand, it will be hard to effortlessly use each one during a fight. It's like dancing: if you know each move by heart, then you do not need to look down at your feet (skill bar).

Being aggressive is also what will change the outcome of a fight. So even if you have a build that is far superior to your opponent's, if they are more aggressive they could likely best you. When I first started, I was so shocked by how aggressively people attacked me. This is my first ever PVP game, so I've always been used to slow and boring NPCs. This was different and it made me falter, halt, and even run away at times. That made me an easier kill. I now find that if I stand my ground and be just as aggressive or even more so, I have a better chance at winning.

I think once you have the above down and have a great build to match it, you could then attempt to fight more than one person at a time. All of it just takes practice, eventually you'll be able to do a lot more. We both will! If any of this is wrong, someone will let you know. I'm still learning, so my words shouldn't be taken as facts.

P.S I've seen you fight, I don't think you're bad at all.
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had like three 1v6s ever. As in I'm absolutely sure nobody helped me and I killed all 6. And I mean down on the ground scrapping with all 6 at once, not sniping from a tower or kiting to have six 1v1s.

Not that any X isn't a good X but I think its important to be specific with what we're talking about here. Facetanking 6 players on a character that also has enough damage to kill is almost impossible... At least for me, who is perhaps a good player but not an amazing one... And on console where we have no alerts or addons... And playing in rsvenwatch so I have no maras balm or whatever.

But it can happen. Its probably going to involve intermittent, even rotational usage of snare immunity, immovability, roll dodging, a well placed tree, and as example streak. Very stressful on the fingers and on sustain, and its only going to work if your opponents are just a little squishy. If it takes more than 5 seconds to kill your first target (once you stopped kiting to try,) that's probably a bad sign.

And that's kinda... That's kinda just what it is. Like I don't want to say the 6 players have to be bad but they have to be slightly worse than you I'd say (not that you can't sometimes get lucky and catch a decent player off guard,) and again whether they're good or not they have to currently be on a squishy character.

You really just gotta roll with the punches and take what you're given. Expect to start to focus someone and have to break off several times... You can't get tunnel visioned when you X, you have to be confident enough to say "killing him right now is too risky because the scenario isn't just right, keeping myself alive is more important than making him dead, because I can try again... And again... And again." Confident and patient.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel's record is four DC over the course of one minute. Sadly they did not have any recording software up to catch it. XD

Three of them were also bow users so khajiit is not sure if it'd really count as a 1vX.

On average this one seems to be fine with 1 on 1's against anything but the latest metasploit builds, and streak sorcerers. Anything more and it comes down to if either of the opponents are bow mains, or something useful.

Though it's hard to tell on Gray Host nowadays. What with the bloops routinely sending twenty people to take a resource from one khajiit (who is bad at the game), and a seventy year old grandma with a horrible connection.

This one sincerely wishes that was hyperbole.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know that you asked about Cyro and IC, but my example is purely illustrative.

During one of my few BGs, I get in place, where all three teams met at same time and flat out wipe out other teams.
    They arrived again and again and I killed them and killed them. Result was 30+ kills with everybody else on 0 and my teammates had very few of assistance.

I didn't feel as some boss after that. I felt like somebody, who flexed muscle on bunch of casuals and spoiled their game. I played BGs only few times and this is result. I am connecting with casuals.

The point? In 1vsX, X mean nothing. Killing one strong player is more than killing several PvErs who visited PvP.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Assuming the opponents are less skilled than you, then on average you can expect to struggle against 5 or more opponents. Anything less should be cake walk.

It also depends on what class you play. Some classes have a better chance than others at surviving multiple opponents. This patch though, I think every class can do it except for maybe magsorc.

Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm, you mean without the help of guards?

two

if i'm facing more than two, i usually go in to delay and survive mode...hope friendlies show up...if i do have guards on my side though, i'll be more aggressive...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place