Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Can someone explain the point of stamina ?

Sewedir
Sewedir
✭✭
From what I have checked on the wiki all base skills require Magicka. So why do we have races that have a stamina bonus? I mean even warrior classes use Magicka as their primary resources like dragon knight or templar. I could understand that melee warrior classes uses stamina and wizard classes use Magicka but here all the classes use Magicka.
So what is the point of stamina in the first place if all classes use Magicka for their skills?
Thanks for the info,
Cheers,
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sewedir wrote: »
    From what I have checked on the wiki all base skills require Magicka. So why do we have races that have a stamina bonus? I mean even warrior classes use Magicka as their primary resources like dragon knight or templar. I could understand that melee warrior classes uses stamina and wizard classes use Magicka but here all the classes use Magicka.
    So what is the point of stamina in the first place if all classes use Magicka for their skills?
    Thanks for the info,
    Cheers,

Most of the skills for weapon lines such as two handed, sword and shield and dual wield are stamina based. All the fighters guild skils and nearly all the undaunted ones are also stamina based.

Not to mention that you need stamina to run, roll dodge and block during combat. It's really important not to run out when you're in a battle.
  • Sewedir
    Sewedir
    ✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,
    Cheers,

Most of the skills for weapon lines such as two handed, sword and shield and dual wield are stamina based. All the fighters guild skils and nearly all the undaunted ones are also stamina based.

Not to mention that you need stamina to run, roll dodge and block during combat. It's really important not to run out when you're in a battle.

You mean use stamina to execute or use stamina in ways to increase their damage?
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,
    Cheers,

You mean use stamina to execute or use stamina in ways to increase their damage?

No, each weapon has its own set of skills like your class skills. When you kill something with that weapon then you unlock the skills.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Historically class skills mostly used magicka, but these days it's pretty mixed. There are many stamina morphs, once you get to morph a skill. DK even has a skill that consumes half magicka, half stamina now (Molten Whip).

4 of the weapon skill lines are stamina-based, two-handed, dual-wield, one hand + shield, and the bow. 2 are magicka-based, the destro and resto staves. As a stamina-based character you tend to use a higher proportion of weapon skills. Historically, at least, that made your toon a somewhat generic stamina character on all classes, compared to the more distinct magicka playstyles.

These days it's possible to make a character that uses mixed skills, some costing stamina, some costing magicka, a so-called hybrid build, although it's a balancing act to get your sustain just right for that. On the whole, and more so in the past, people make so-called magicka builds and so-called stamina builds. People talk about stamsorcs and magsorcs, for example, two variations of the class that play differently.

These days the lines are kind of blurry, but they still exist. A magicka build uses mostly magicka skills for attack, mostly all magicka skills altogether to be honest, but they need their small stamina pool to dodge roll, break free, sprint, and bash (interrupt). In PvE you don't need to pay much attention to stamina and stam regen on a magicka DD or as a solo player. In PvP stamina is critical and has only become more important over the years. In PvP you may wear sets that give you both types of regen for that reason, chief among them being Wretched Vitality (a crafted set).

A stamina build uses mostly stamina skills for attack, but often magicka skills for utility, for example for armor buffs. The bigger stamina pool and stamina regen as a stamina character makes it easier to cover your core combat skill requirements (dodge roll, break free, sprint, bash). For example in PvP, if you are at full stamina, you have a bigger pool you can choose to dump all into movement and defense by dodge rolling, if the situation calls for it. As a magicka character you always have to be cognizant of your limited stamina pool, lest you end up unable to break free from being stunned and thereby be killed. As a stamina character you can be a bit more carefree in this regard. Nonetheless, there are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. For example sorcs and nightblades have magicka-based escape tools (Streak, Cloak and Shadow Image), damage shields are still a viable option for some builds, and everyone can use Mist Form as a vampire, which costs magicka.

Choosing magicka or stamina affects your playstyle and weapon choices. Your armor type also tends to lock you into one or the other. If you wear predominantly light armor, you can sustain magicka skills better and you're most likely a magicka build, using predominantly those skills. With mostly medium armor you tend to be a stamina build for the same reason. Heavy armor is mostly "meh" these days. It used to be a mainstay of PvP and is still useful there, but I'd say these days it's mostly for tanks - going full heavy that is. As a DD you need the other two armor types for the damage and crit.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)