The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please let Companions level faster

• Rikkadir
    Rikkadir
    ✭✭✭

the amount you get from those activities is almost negligible (like +1 from runes harvesting for example when you need about 5000 to "max" them out) and those are even on a cooldown

at best those counter instances of negative rapport

if you do mages guild daily, heist, and high isle delve daily you will get 150 rapport points for each of those (or about 450 rapport per day)

ember so far was the easiest companion to max rapport because of having 3 dailies that gave +150, then like every 3rd day you would have enough to get the companion quest which was +500 rapport (and she has 3 of those)

When companions get rapport it is displayed as 'Rapport Increase' not rapport +1, unlike Exp which displays how much exp. they get. It should display how much rapport they get, IMO.

Thanks for the reply.
    PS4/PS5/EU
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian, right now, is the hardest companion to max rapport in, because he has only one daily that gives +125. Honestly, he needs another one.

And I'd suggest that if Mirri has the Numani-Rasi Ashlander quests, Bastian ought to like hunting major villains: why not give him the daily World Boss quests from the Morrowind Hall of Justice.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally got Mirri to lvl 20 yesterday. Was a pain and took ages, but now she can remain in the collection meny and collect dust while I go back to using Bastian. Don't want to think about leveling the High Isle companions and the ones that will come next year.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When companions get rapport it is displayed as 'Rapport Increase' not rapport +1, unlike Exp which displays how much exp. they get. It should display how much rapport they get, IMO.

Improved Companion Rapport Information does.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3103-ImprovedCompanionRapportInformation.html
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikkadir wrote: »

the amount you get from those activities is almost negligible (like +1 from runes harvesting for example when you need about 5000 to "max" them out) and those are even on a cooldown

at best those counter instances of negative rapport

if you do mages guild daily, heist, and high isle delve daily you will get 150 rapport points for each of those (or about 450 rapport per day)

ember so far was the easiest companion to max rapport because of having 3 dailies that gave +150, then like every 3rd day you would have enough to get the companion quest which was +500 rapport (and she has 3 of those)

Thanks for the reply.

i was seeing the amounts from the harvens all experience bars addon which allows you to display extra xp bars for the companions level and rapport (so you dont have to keep interacting with them to see what level they are and give more important rapport info lol)

this addon is also good too (although i dont use this one as i had other addons that work to do similar things)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3103-ImprovedCompanionRapportInformation.html

Some of us can’t use add-ons.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the link may be helpful to those who can.
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, it would be, but PC add-ons seem to minimize the need for these things to be part of the base game for those who can’t use them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone posting here is a reasonably high-level player wanting the companions to catch up. The other side of the coin is new players who have just enough levels under their belt to do the recruitment quest, and don’t want their companion racing ahead of them.

That is why the player character gets some exclusive sources of xp that the companions do not, and perhaps why the companions cap out much sooner.

And enlightenment has no effect on how fast you get xp. What it changes is how xp gains increase cp, something companions do not get, so irrelevant to their level up process.
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there needs to be a middle ground between the original levelling speed, which Zos thought was too fast, and now, which players feel is too slow.

I got my companions after the XP nerf, and managed to get max rapport from Mirri and Bas pretty easily - and maxed their guild abilities, too - but way before either of them levelled up to max.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it would be, but PC add-ons seem to minimize the need for these things to be part of the base game for those who can’t use them.

yup, i use a ton of addons to give me more info than what the base game does, but its still effectively bandaiding the issues because they are not part of the base game
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Many PC players advocate for QOL features to be added to the game for everyone's benefit. Using add-ons in the meantime isn't going to stop players from advocating for these features.
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Many PC players advocate for QOL features to be added to the game for everyone's benefit. Using add-ons in the meantime isn't going to stop players from advocating for these features.

It pretty much shut down any support for getting hats included in the Armory builds once someone wrote an add-on which does that. I couldn’t get anyone else to advocate for it to be included in an update here on the forums.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• CasgarTheSomnolent
    CasgarTheSomnolent
    ✭✭✭
    Quick, permanent, low-effort fix: Add slottable and/or passive green CP nodes to increase their leveling speed. Done.

Yeah, their pure leveling is dumb. I'm hoping that just how they fixed their guild leveling to be less grindy, they'll fix the base leveling eventually. I know ZOS has these bizarre fears about people doing things too fast, but that can be allayed by just making writ experience not count while allowing all other player-earned experience to count. There just aren't enough combat opportunities that they're suited for to get them naturally to max level without some form of grinding.

I also wish they'd do something about making them use the same slot as helpers like the banker. Even using Zadrot Companion on PC to resummon them, I'm constantly having to fight the game to make sure they're actually summoned so they're even capable of receiving XP. Half the time I get tired of it and just leave them unsummoned.

As far as my preferred leveling trick, I wait until there's a double XP event, throw on 150% scrolls, and then my friend and I go duo normal DSA with our two companions. That was the ticket for getting both Bastian and Mirri all the way to 20 for me. It's basically autopilot; throw on something to watch in the background. DSA actually has a variety of good weapons and some leads as well, so it's not pure XP grinding. My standard procedure is to get to the final boss, then invite two more guildies in for a quick easy kill, and that's two more weapons that can be traded around. Good way to make friends.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still don't know why people keep saying they grind their companions in DSA. If you're not ESO+ or don't own murkmire, then that's fine, but then each time i see it brought up it's always about people using experience scrolls which implies you use crates or wait each month for the daily rewards.

nBRP farming is far more efficient to level your companions, get a friend and use the arena buffs, wipe, reset, repeat. Your companions will level almost faster than your CP goes up.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't understand why they make companions so hard to level among other things, at max level they are not overpowered by any means so why hold players back from levelling them. Make zero sense.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    I still don't know why people keep saying they grind their companions in DSA. If you're not ESO+ or don't own murkmire, then that's fine, but then each time i see it brought up it's always about people using experience scrolls which implies you use crates or wait each month for the daily rewards.

nBRP farming is far more efficient to level your companions, get a friend and use the arena buffs, wipe, reset, repeat. Your companions will level almost faster than your CP goes up.

I wait until I get experience scrolls then take them to Dragonstar Arena. I go there because I can solo it and don't have to wait for a friend to log on and/or be in the mood to run a more difficult place with me.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because when I'm leveling my companion, I generally feel like playing by myself, which is a part of the appeal of the companion.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wait until I get experience scrolls then take them to Dragonstar Arena. I go there because I can solo it and don't have to wait for a friend to log on and/or be in the mood to run a more difficult place with me.

you can also solo this and just keep wiping at the second round off the last mini or with self damaging abilities, it's possible to solo this especially with the reflect buff doing what it does. no friends needed

this topic wouldn't need to exist if you had your friend log in a couple times just to nbrp farm with you. it's been a month and you're still keeping this alive, which implies you haven't gotten your companion to 20 yet, so I'm doubting you actually trying this. you can go to craglorn and ask for someone to join you or even offer a low level to join you if they help to stack the mobs for easier killing with either chains or silver leash.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Because when I'm leveling my companion, I generally feel like playing by myself, which is a part of the appeal of the companion.

I really can't find it within myself to sympathize with this point. Max level companions don't really make a difference when doing story content, if you don't want to grind it like most everyone grinded their champion points then you'll have to settle for a sub-20 companion, which can still be the little boost you need to get over whatever hurdle you need to in soloing something. No serious player is ever going to say you need a level 20 companion to do XYZ, they'd sooner say to gold out your gear or get a better set, reconfigure your CP, etc.

If this game started out with a robust companion system like FF14 has I'd likely have other things to say, but as it stands now they are a very topical feature which hardly make a difference and are more of an annoyance and source for bugs than anything. In fact, they are so bad that they are the floor for what we consider to be a bad healer or bad dps, and this is likely by design as they wouldn't want you to replace players with companions.
    Edited by Dr_Con on September 28, 2022 3:56AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...this topic wouldn't need to exist if you had your friend log in a couple times just to nbrp farm with you. it's been a month and you're still keeping this alive, which implies you haven't gotten your companion to 20 yet, so I'm doubting you actually trying this. you can go to craglorn and ask for someone to join you or even offer a low level to join you if they help to stack the mobs for easier killing with either chains or silver leash.

This thread is still alive because there are others who would also like leveling Companions to be less of a tedious grind.

I don't grind levels on my own characters, so why should I have to do it for my Companions? They should get quest experience if they are with me while questing, and the amount of experience they do get needs to be increased.

I am not going to Craglorn and spend my day doing something I don't even want to do with a random player. This may work for some but it doesn't work for me.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 28, 2022 4:42AM
    PCNA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found that duoing normal dragonstar arena is an fast way to level them. I use +100% xp food
    Invite people for the last boss so they get the weapons.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lMax level companions don't really make a difference when doing story content, if you don't want to grind it like most everyone grinded their champion points then you'll have to settle for a sub-20 companion, which can still be the little boost you need to get over whatever hurdle you need to in soloing something.

I never said anything about needing them for story content. But even if I had, the idea that they because they are bad, they should also be tedious doesn't really make much design sense to me. The more effort you have to put in to get a piece of equipment, skill, etc, the more impactful that thing should be. The other side of that is weak things should be easy to do. A high effort, miniscule impact thing is bad design.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 28, 2022 7:03AM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »
    ESO is going to last at least another ten years and the companions are supposed to last a lot longer than a month. If you level them all up straight away what are you going to do for the next 9 years?

When we get every year a new pair of companions, which seems to me likely for the coming years, I would expect that within that year per pair, at least half the time can be done with fully leveled companions.

=> levelling them to 20 (with two weapon skill lines) should take not more than 3-6 months for the casual player base playing a handful of hours per week questing and fighting monsters.

If this principle for a criterium is used as yardstick by ZOS, I am sure they can see the need to tweak the XP in some way.

Especially getting XP from questing, with your companion alongside you, has my sympathy.

Some other thoughts on XP gains:
    * Give the Prolific trait an additional Training boost for companions of 4%.
    * Change the (mediocre) Potent potions of Bastian into giving a Training boost for Companions of 30% for 30 minutes.
    * etc

After all, it would be kind of silly when it would take the biggest slice of the total player base of ESO that whole year, before the next pair of companions come, for only levelling their Companions of the year before.

Edited by hrothbern on September 28, 2022 11:10AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastien is the only one of the 4 I don't have at level 20 and max rapport. I do have him at max rapport but is still only level 16.5. That's another thing that it's kind of out of sync. It's especially annoying that the few things that increase his rapport like the mage's guild dailies don't also give him XP.

I mean, I think they should get some XP from quests to cater to players who prefer not to grind, but it's if they won;t do that they should at least get some from the rapport or companion story quests.
    Edited by Iselin on September 28, 2022 11:27AM
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Add to all this, the purple gear drops are hopeless, or they come with baffling traits.

Two handed maul with extra heal??? Why?!
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oof, looks like I'm spending the whole day in DSA, just noticed you need to use Ember or Isobel to get a "Guaranteed Chance" at companion gear during the event, hope I can get them to at least Lev 10
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have said this since Companions came out! Why is it that the guild skill lines get a big leveling boost, but regular Companion level did not?!? After all, they are accompanying us on our quests, they should also get 'some' XP from quest completions as well. This especially now that we have FOUR Companions. Can you imagine being a new player and suddenly have to try and level all four?!? It will only continue to get worse as they add more.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    Bastien is the only one of the 4 I don't have at level 20 and max rapport. I do have him at max rapport but is still only level 16.5. That's another thing that it's kind of out of sync. It's especially annoying that the few things that increase his rapport like the mage's guild dailies don't also give him XP.

I mean, I think they should get some XP from quests to cater to players who prefer not to grind, but it's if they won;t do that they should at least get some from the rapport or companion story quests.

i had the opposite experience, i had them max level well before max rapport lol

many of the good sources of rapport have a daily cooldown, while you can farm xp for them basically as long as you want with no type of cooldown
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Can you imagine being a new player and suddenly have to try and level all four?!? It will only continue to get worse as they add more.

I hadn't considered it from the perspective of a new player, but that is a very good point. ZoS lets new players start in any zone so they can play the latest chapter right from the start, but they won't be able to fully utilize Companions for a very long time.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 28, 2022 5:43PM
    PCNA
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

i had the opposite experience, i had them max level well before max rapport lol

many of the good sources of rapport have a daily cooldown, while you can farm xp for them basically as long as you want with no type of cooldown

"Farm XP" as in grinding would be the difference. The rapport daily cooldowns make the difference between leveling and maxing rapport even more pronounced since the rapport is artificially slowed down with the timers.