The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rising Cost of Alchemical Ingredients

Poncho28
Poncho28
✭✭✭
Can someone please help me understand why Columbine and Corn Flower are at the current costs?

03wkefu3czqd.jpg

Thanks
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 30, 2022 1:56AM
Poncho-Dovahkiin (Defilers of Molag Bal, Lost Souls of Tamriel, Foundations Start, Rebellious Spirit)
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because all the people who get a whole lot of them don't want to sell them at all.

Or am I the only one? I've got like 12k cornflower alone, and y'all will never get your hands on it.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    pick your own mushrooms
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone isn't running ESO+ collecting Alchemical Ingredients eats a significant % of your inventory space when compared to other items.

As a result, many of us do not bother collecting them on many of our characters which puts a damper on the supply.

Alchemy is also primarily used by higher tier players where the players are generally loaded which drives the prices upwards as they are willing to pay a ton.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poncho88 wrote: »
    Can someone please help me understand why Columbine and Corn Flower are at the current costs?

03wkefu3czqd.jpg

Thanks

Node scarcity and in columbine's case in particular being need for many popular potions.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poncho88 wrote: »

Thanks

Because some players have hoarding tendencies. Because some players refuse to sink to the depths of actually picking flowers/mushrooms for any reason. Because some players don't realize some flowers and mushrooms are really expensive and sell fast. Because some players don't want to join any guild ever because personal reasons so they can only sell in zone chat. Lots of reasons, maybe good ones, maybe not, but reasons.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the ingredient prices, but tri-pots (which use corn flower and columbine me thinks) went from 20k gold per stack of 200 about two years ago to 100k gold per stack today, if you are lucky. Since prices are only going up, I paniced and now have 20.000 tri-pots in my bank to be able to PvP in peace without needing to interact with ESO economy for another year or so. If enough players act like this, you get a supply shortage and prices go through the roof.
    No, I do NOT hoard toilet paper in real life.

no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have about 16k columbine and 18k corn flower stashed away at my craft bag. so... I guess the question will be, "why not sell them and make loads of cash?".
    Thing is, the same type of activity that is filling my craft bag with reagents, also fills it with tempers, and fills my pockets with cash. I don´t really "do" housing, don´t care about style motifs, am not buying any carries, and I have tons of tempers, so... nothing to spend on, no reason to care about making loads of cash. Therefore, not selling them.
    Edited by KlauthWarthog on August 31, 2022 2:49PM
  • HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Keep it coming!
    • Keep not selling it, above posters!
    • Keep making it available in fertile fields from alchemy surveys, ZOS
    • But maybe consider making Enchanting surveys less of an insta delete coz it is a double standard, ZOS (kuta, mundane)
    • Keep needing it (somehow...i dont get it guys... I run out of nirnroot or mudcrap for dailies but never the exxy ones)
    • Keep buying it, friends!
    Edited by HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip on September 7, 2022 12:49PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because all the people who get a whole lot of them don't want to sell them at all.

Or am I the only one? I've got like 12k cornflower alone, and y'all will never get your hands on it.

Nope. While not as stacked as you are, all my reagents are in the 2K to 3K range. Provisioning i am in the Upper 4 figures to Low 5 figures. Not in the habit of selling them.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, I can't sell cornflower, even at slightly below the current "average" price point lately. It used to get snapped up when I put a stack up for sale at my trading guild's AH.

Columbine still sells quickly at the currently inflated price, but not cornflower, lady's smock, namira's rot, or bugloss. I am wondering if their frequent inclusion in the ToT reward coffers flooded the market, but the prices listed as "normal" haven't dropped as much as one would expect.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When you are in an environment where you need to consume pots every 30 to 50 seconds, have tons of gold floating around, time consuming farm runs, an hybridized combat system that was abandoned before they got to alchemy, the ability for some players to hoard near infinite amounts of mats, and with very high demand...

Of course prices are going to go up. The only way they wouldn't is if demand dropped severely for some reason like if there were a large group of people that gave up on the content that required lots of pots.... oh wait...

Edit: sorry I forgot the obligatory mention that the cost of all items that are tradeable in game is strictly time, and that price is just an expression of how much that time is worth. If you agree then you pay, if you don't then you don't pay. If you don't like it and you still pay then you just are either not being honest with yourself or you are not being smart with your gold. In essence if you don't like the prices then dedicate some time to farm.
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on September 13, 2022 9:00AM
  • RagnarSw
    RagnarSw
    ✭✭✭
    Roxxsmom wrote: »
    Interestingly, I can't sell cornflower, even at slightly below the current "average" price point lately. It used to get snapped up when I put a stack up for sale at my trading guild's AH.

Columbine still sells quickly at the currently inflated price, but not cornflower, lady's smock, namira's rot, or bugloss. I am wondering if their frequent inclusion in the ToT reward coffers flooded the market, but the prices listed as "normal" haven't dropped as much as one would expect.

Because Cornflower, Bugloss and Ladys Smock were all used for Magicka potions. Magicka was meta, but with the hybrid changes in U34 the push has been towards stamina heavy builds. Columbine is still used heavily for tri pots which are used by tanks and in PVP.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornflower is expensive for the same reason Oko are - they're extra items required for daily writs on top of the crafted part.

Columbine is just really useful!
    PS4 EU
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people that use pots just don't sell em. I certainly don't. That said I don't have a 5k stash either. I'm closer to 1k.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    Cornflower is expensive for the same reason Oko are - they're extra items required for daily writs on top of the crafted part.

And that's one of the two reasons I only do alchemy writs at the top tier.
    The other reason is that alchemy master writs are valuable due to their usefulness in power leveling.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »

And that's one of the two reasons I only do alchemy writs at the top tier.
    The other reason is that alchemy master writs are valuable due to their usefulness in power leveling.

This.

Doing alchemy writs at T1 or T2, where cornflower is required as the "extra 3" turn-in are the least effective (in terms of profit) way to do alchemy writs.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing alchemy writs at highest tier you need mudcrab chitlin or violet coprinus which are even more expensive than corn flower. Corn flower is also a common ingredient in alchemy surveys where the other two never appear in surveys.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »
    Doing alchemy writs at highest tier you need mudcrab chitlin or violet coprinus which are even more expensive than corn flower. Corn flower is also a common ingredient in alchemy surveys where the other two never appear in surveys.

You get violet coprinus in the rewards box for max level alchemy writs but you don’t ever get mudcrab chitin. I don’t have a problem with the former but I do the latter. I have to actively farm mudcrabs every couple of weeks.

In another thread I have suggested adding it to the rewards or changing the daily writ requirement to something other than mudcrab chitin. No response yet.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You get violet coprinus in the rewards box for max level alchemy writs but you don’t ever get mudcrab chitin. I don’t have a problem with the former but I do the latter. I have to actively farm mudcrabs every couple of weeks.

In another thread I have suggested adding it to the rewards or changing the daily writ requirement to something other than mudcrab chitin. No response yet.

Wowza. I missed the Mudcrab Chitin price explosion.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wowza. I missed the Mudcrab Chitin price explosion.

Was the first thing to spike in price with the banning of bots... they were efficient at farming that chitin!
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be just getting worse...
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've stopped doing the alchemy daily writ when it asks for chitin. I haven't done the math on actual cost effectiveness of this, but factoring in my time and distaste for shopping for chitin or farming mudcrabs, I think this is a good decision for me.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durnik wrote: »

That’s good by me as it’s there available for the gathering! And since I AM into housing and fashion, I am always in need of more gold! :lol:
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durnik wrote: »

That’s good by me as it’s there available for the gathering! And since I AM into housing and fashion, I am always in need of more gold! :lol:

Exactly... higher prices just makes farming yourself and doing writs more valuable. So I thank those that don't farm themselves for keeping prices high!
  • Piojo
    Piojo
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    I've stopped doing the alchemy daily writ when it asks for chitin. I haven't done the math on actual cost effectiveness of this, but factoring in my time and distaste for shopping for chitin or farming mudcrabs, I think this is a good decision for me.

If you do the alchemy dailies consistently, you will eventually get mudcrab chitin (and other valuable) flowers & fungi in your reward coffer. I held out on doing any alchemy dailies that required corn flower and columbine until I realized that for every reagent used, I'd get 3-4 back either that same day or on a later day's alchemy rewards.

We still burn an ingredient, but the reward system more than makes up for it if you craft daily.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mudcrab chitin does not ever appear in the daily alchemy writ rewards.
    (I don't disagree with the main point, that daily alchemy writs are mostly worth doing, and between the return box and surveys I have plenty of columbine and cornflower, and even a reasonable amount of powdered mother of pearl and clam gall. But mudcrab chitin is not something I've ever seen out of the return box).
    Edited by kringled_1 on January 24, 2023 11:00PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think alchemy level 3 never has a writ requiring chitin, cornflower, or anything else particularly expensive. Max level alchemy writs may still be worthwhile for the chance at master writs though so I still do them on my master crafter at least.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think alchemy level 3 never has a writ requiring chitin, cornflower, or anything else particularly expensive. Max level alchemy writs may still be worthwhile for the chance at master writs though so I still do them on my master crafter at least.

That would be another way to address it. All of my characters on my main account I keep at max alchemy so I can make their own potions, since that runs out faster than food; I could undo skill points and keep some reserved in case I need to make potions without swapping, but it's probably just easier for me to just skip 1 day out of 8.
  • Piojo
    Piojo
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Mudcrab chitin does not ever appear in the daily alchemy writ rewards.
    (I don't disagree with the main point, that daily alchemy writs are mostly worth doing, and between the return box and surveys I have plenty of columbine and cornflower, and even a reasonable amount of powdered mother of pearl and clam gall. But mudcrab chitin is not something I've ever seen out of the return box).

For some reason, I've been under the impression that all base game alch items except fungi drop from alch writs. I gotta pay more attention.