The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Alchemy and Jewelry Hirelings?

sPark101
sPark101
✭✭✭
Why exactly are hirelings not good enough to supply alchemy or jewelry deliveries each day like the other crafts?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The non existence of a hireling for jewelry is probably to keep the rarity of jewellery improvement mats. The same reason it takes 5x as many mats to improve jewellery compared to other gear pieces.

Regarding alchemy, I think when the game launched the alchemy mats were easier to find than the others used in the other crafts.
    Edited by redlink1979 on August 28, 2022 9:50PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy Reagents are pretty easy to find, if you turn on Keen Eye for those. Jewelry Mats were never intended to be Plentiful, they are supposed to be Rare
    Edited by Nestor on September 3, 2022 12:07PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Alchemy and Jewelry should have hirelings like the rest of the crafts nonetheless.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy has Remains Silent.
    sPark101 wrote: »
    I believe Alchemy and Jewelry should have hirelings like the rest of the crafts nonetheless.

Zenimax does not share the same belief and has specifically said as much in regard to jewelry crafting. @Nestor explains why.

• HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Alchemy has Remains Silent.

Zenimax does not share the same belief and has specifically said as much in regard to jewelry crafting. @Nestor explains why.

Are you able to link to a post rather than a username? I don't think J drops will change, but I do think the differential is OTT and would love to see what ZOS' logic is/what someone thinks ZOS' logic is/what a funny person wanted to jokingly pretend to explain what ZOS' logic is.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i've gotten zircon plating off daily writs before! just be consistent in your endeavors.

As for the lack of an alchemy hireling, i would just view the dragonguard chest as your alchemy hireling. It's not like someone can send you mushrooms or weeds (nirnroot) and say they did their job
    Edited by Dr_Con on September 8, 2022 4:34PM
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess there wasn't Alchemy hirelings originally because there wasn't a premium mat like provisioning has to make them worthwhile. Now there's Clam Gall and stuff they could stick in rather than making them rare drops from writs, so the argument doesn't hold up so well. Then again, you already get more back in writ rewards than it costs to do them so I don't really miss them that much.

As for jewelery, it's a real pain but I think overall I'd rather keep the gaurenteed grain drop (which I'm sure they'd take away again if they added hirelings). With 18 characters I'll get a Chromium or Zircon plating most days which is worth more to me than the few stacks of platinum I have to buy occasionally. The crafting for JC writs is a little cheaper than other equipment too, and I can't help thinking they'd make it more expensive to match the other crafts if they added hirelings, which would probably make us worse off in the long run.
    PS4 EU
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jewellery is supposed to be rare by design.

Alchemy has the shadowy supplier (dark Brotherhood lvl 4, 1/character/day, located in outlaws refuges: not guaranteed but provides a subset of fungi). Other than direct farming, you can also get a LOT of alchemy mats via the general tel-var(tv) merchant in imperial city bases: 500 tv stones will give you a random bag of ANY alchemy mats (including fungi, powdered mother of pearl, clam gall...) roughly equivalent to a survey mat in quantity and diversity of types.

edit:typo
    Edited by deleted221106-002999 on November 6, 2022 3:51PM
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    Adding a jewelry hireling should'nt be that hard.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding a jewelry hireling should'nt be that hard.

Not hard.

But you already get a guaranteed grain drop (sometimes more) for doing your jewelry writs at max level.

They would very likely take that away if they added a hireling, since they have stated previously that they want hirelings to give "meaningful" rewards. They'd likely make it work like all the other crafts with just a 30% chance of top tier mats... and no chance at green-purple other than through the hireling and refining/decon.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points