The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is winning by forcing a concede really satisfying?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I played a game today where my opponent would slowly play their cards then just sit and do nothing. They had no coins or anything to explain why they weren't just ending their turn. This went on for 3 or 4 turns so I whispered them "Go ahead and just sit there... I have all day... It won't make me concede." They didn't reply but started actually playing after that. It felt really good to beat them 80 to 75.

What I'd like to know is do these players really get any satisfaction out of that kind of win?
Edited by SilverBride on August 27, 2022 3:27AM
PCNA
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they feel some satisfaction. I can't see why they would do something they aren't enjoying that would clearly also not be enjoyed by the opponent.

In any pvp environment, even Tribute, there is a game outside the actual game mechanics. Some people thrive on manipulating that much larger meta game. It's why you might see people t bag in Cyrodiil. They are often attempting to tilt their opponent, sometimes trolling, but sometimes legitimately trying to hit them with a mind game that throws them off. This opponent you describe here may have been trying a different approach which in some situations might lead to a win for them. It didn't work in your situation, but it's possible it has worked in the past.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I win I want it to be from skill, not mind games. I just don't see how that would feel satisfying.
    PCNA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some probably do it just to be annoying. It is just a different means to troll.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I win I want it to be from skill, not mind games. I just don't see how that would feel satisfying.

I wouldn't do it myself, especially if I knew it was annoying to others. However, understand that people have different motivations. Many people have much less consideration for their opponents or at least would value a win over all else. Satisfaction can come from various sources and varies from person to person.
  • Sin_Arcain
    Sin_Arcain
    ✭✭
    The fact that they started playing faster after whispering suggests me that they maybe simply wasn't paying attention, being distracted with something else. It is not unheard of that you start a game and then roommate/partner/child/etc engage in a conversation with you. Or you run to do something in the kitchen and you don't notice when it is your turn, or forget to hit end of turn and resume multi-tasking. It has happened to me a few times.

There is no underlying "evil" most of the times behind such actions, I find.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not like they were distracted and didn't start their turn. They played their cards then just sat there for almost the full time until I confronted them. And they did it the exact same way every time. It was pretty obvious what they were doing.
    Edited by SilverBride on August 27, 2022 7:03AM
    PCNA
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concede I sometimes intentionally dragged feet in the past when I played against a known Orgnum spammer that spammed Orgnum as expected. Not to make them concede but to somehow counter this Orgnum spam for quick win without skill approach. I think chosing Orgnum spam is as annoying as dragging feet so I considered to be even :) However, I never enjoyed it because I like quick play much better.

Those who always drag feet whether his/her opponent invests in a skilled strategy or not is just trolling. And as for all trolls who troll for the joy of trolling it is just a weakling who enjoys the self-imagined power that he/she believes to have about others. It is actually pretty pathetic.
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    I played a game today where my opponent would slowly play their cards then just sit and do nothing. They had no coins or anything to explain why they weren't just ending their turn. This went on for 3 or 4 turns so I whispered them "Go ahead and just sit there... I have all day... It won't make me concede." They didn't reply but started actually playing after that. It felt really good to beat them 80 to 75.

What I'd like to know is do these players really get any satisfaction out of that kind of win?

I am guessing the satisfaction they get isn't from winning the game per-se. Some people derive pleasure from controlling or annoying others. I am guessing these players are engaging in a type of trolling, and it's why I've been reluctant to do those dailies. I get frustrated enough when it feels like the npcs are taking too long with their turns :D
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How where you able to whisper the other player during the game? The only thing I can do while I'm in a match of Tales of Tribute is to concede.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say /tell @playername

If they are in offline mode it won't go through though.

Edit: Also the chat window minimizes when you start a game. Just click the arrow to open it again.
    Edited by SilverBride on August 31, 2022 7:15PM
    PCNA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    67039411.jpg
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say /tell @playername

If they are in offline mode it won't go through though.

Edit:. Also the chat window minimizes when you start a game. Just click the arrow to open it again.

Also some keep the whispers turned on, but in a different tab and such so they can only review it when needed. So might go through and someone might not see it for a bit.