The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would This End Scroll Trolls?

DaisyRay
DaisyRay
✭✭✭
Even though I've never been on a faction where people troll our scroll, I've seen it happen to others or heard about it. I know someone suggested in a previous post that to stop the trolling, the scroll should go back to the temple if dunked. I disagree with this for a multitude of reasons. However, I was thinking of ways that we could stop the trolls from messing with their faction.

I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will be quick to confirm if I am, but I think the scroll is set to an hour or something as far as the timer goes. If that's true, I think that's way too long. At most, it usually takes a group about twenty minutes to run a scroll to a temple. faster, depending on the runner. So my thought was that maybe the scroll could time out faster. Say, after thirty minutes, it drops from the carrier as the hammer does.

However, it doesn't go anywhere. If the scroll times out, it should just drop nearby and let whoever is there fight over it to pick it up. If the faction the scroll belongs to is there, one of them could pick it up. If an enemy faction is present, even if they aren't the ones who had the scroll initially, they could also pick it up. I know some of my favorite hammer fights are after the hammer drops and everything goes from 0-100 as we scramble to get the hammer first. It's really fun. So that was my thought.
⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think that scroll should have some restrictions where it can be carried in a 1st place - because that is what is being exploited for the most part.

For example, the scroll should auto-drop & respawn near if player carrying it:
    - Enters house or other non-pvp objective location. So you could still go through keep doors, but not for example tower or house door (tower at the DC backyard or any other house in Cyro or location with a loading screen etc).
    - If you jump off the bridge & fall into water with scroll or if you jump into lava - the scroll should automatically drop & respawn at the nearest location that is accessible by players.
    - Certain areas (tunnels & bridges), that are not PvP equivalent of indestructible gates & bridges should be outright flagged as "not for scrolls" - so when you get near with the scroll - it will auto-drop (like for example tunnels in a mountains near EP home keeps).

It would not be super hard to do. Devs could just add a large "trigger box" that will cover almost the entire Cyrodiil, except for the locations that are being used for scroll trolling. If the scroll leaves that "box" - it spawns at the closest proximity inside that "box". So if that "box" is 3 - dimensional, then it would be even possible to detect if scroll dropped from the bridge into the water or lava or whatever. All it takes to add something like this is a little bit of effort. It is not a rocket science.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on August 25, 2022 11:27AM
  • afkpro
    afkpro
    ✭✭
    i honestly don't think any change is necessary. there's rarely any faction scroll trolling in gray host (pc-na). blackreach and ravenwatch are both dominated by ad cuz players of the other factions are in gray host mostly. you see ad winning by 5000+ points that a dc/ep player scroll troll discipline isn't gonna make any difference.

edit: i realize there are other platforms and regions with different faction dynamics. i guess maybe put some restrictions to ensure there's no faction scroll trolls in gray host; but, there shouldn't be a need for it in other camps as i'm confident that those other camps aren't consistently populated like gray host.
    Edited by afkpro on August 26, 2022 1:39AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaisyRay wrote: »

However, it doesn't go anywhere. If the scroll times out, it should just drop nearby and let whoever is there fight over it to pick it up..

This would just allow the scroll trolling to continue.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can make scroll picking a range thing. Make it 100m.

Add a chain animation to it and a cast time directly proportional to the distance.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    afkpro wrote: »
    i honestly don't think any change is necessary. there's rarely any faction scroll trolling in gray host (pc-na). blackreach and ravenwatch are both dominated by ad cuz players of the other factions are in gray host mostly. you see ad winning by 5000+ points that a dc/ep player scroll troll discipline isn't gonna make any difference.

edit: i realize there are other platforms and regions with different faction dynamics. i guess maybe put some restrictions to ensure there's no faction scroll trolls in gray host; but, there shouldn't be a need for it in other camps as i'm confident that those other camps aren't consistently populated like gray host.

I think it's a few groups that move around to different factions and camps to troll. I was on blackreach dc for end of camp rewards last camp and saw some scroll trolls take the scroll from an enemy keep and run around with it until they died and the scroll was carried right back to the enemy keep. People in zone seemed familiar with that kind of behavior.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

However, it doesn't go anywhere. If the scroll times out, it should just drop nearby and let whoever is there fight over it to pick it up..

This would just allow the scroll trolling to continue.

It's not ideal, but maybe a non troll could pick it up first if the trolls died. I see your point though, yeah.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    They can make scroll picking a range thing. Make it 100m.

Add a chain animation to it and a cast time directly proportional to the distance.

That could also work!
  • afkpro
    afkpro
    ✭✭
    I think it's a few groups that move around to different factions and camps to troll. I was on blackreach dc for end of camp rewards last camp and saw some scroll trolls take the scroll from an enemy keep and run around with it until they died and the scroll was carried right back to the enemy keep. People in zone seemed familiar with that kind of behavior.

well camps other than gray host are less competitive. pc-na ad dominates blackreach and ravenwatch cuz there aren't enough consistent dc/ep players. so right now in blackreach, ad is in 1st with a 5000+ point lead against 2nd and a 10000+ lead against 3rd. i don't see how enforcing disciplinary action on scroll trolls playing on dc/ep is gonna help them catch up nor would it be the reason why dc/ep is losing by so much lol.

now if it's different for eu and console in gray host where there are scroll trolls or (would be a huge surprise) blackreach/ravenwatch are competitive on those platforms...then some zos intervention may be needed (although there is a category to report scroll trolling...at least on pc).
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭

well camps other than gray host are less competitive. pc-na ad dominates blackreach and ravenwatch cuz there aren't enough consistent dc/ep players. so right now in blackreach, ad is in 1st with a 5000+ point lead against 2nd and a 10000+ lead against 3rd. i don't see how enforcing disciplinary action on scroll trolls playing on dc/ep is gonna help them catch up nor would it be the reason why dc/ep is losing by so much lol.

now if it's different for eu and console in gray host where there are scroll trolls or (would be a huge surprise) blackreach/ravenwatch are competitive on those platforms...then some zos intervention may be needed (although there is a category to report scroll trolling...at least on pc).

I know it won't stop an overpopulated faction from dominating a camp, but it would make trolling less fun. I mean I am all for trolling, but not in a mean way that costs your faction points even if they are a small number compared to the overall picture. I don't really play blackreach despite being mainly AD. I don't personally see the enjoyment of having utter control over an entire campaign. To each their own though. Lol perhaps they are why AD in GH is so underpopulated. That is another topic though. I don't make reports also. Especially not for trolling scrolls. It's not nice, but I don't think it's something they should possibly get banned for.
    Edited by DaisyRay on August 26, 2022 3:17PM
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭

Lucky you guys, lmao. Yesterday AD had one of our scrolls, emp and 3 bars and literally stood outside our gate with our scroll t-bagging, zerging down anyone who tried to run out and firing siege on our gate walls. They did this for close to 30-35 minutes before they finally ran off with it. I'd definitely say there needs to be a change
  • afkpro
    afkpro
    ✭✭
    I know it won't stop an overpopulated faction from dominating a camp, but it would make trolling less fun. I mean I am all for trolling, but not in a mean way that costs your faction points even if they all a small number compared to the overall picture.

that's the thing though. attacking the enemy keep holding your faction's scroll and then taking that scroll to mess around when your faction is down by 5000+ points isn't costing your faction the camp. such cases are mostly found in blackreach/ravenwatch on pc-na so i don't see why such trolls need to be punished.

but like i said, if scroll trolling is happening in close scoring camps on other platforms and regions then zos should do some spanking and there's a report category for that.
    xFocused wrote: »
    Lucky you guys, lmao. Yesterday AD had one of our scrolls, emp and 3 bars and literally stood outside our gate with our scroll t-bagging, zerging down anyone who tried to run out and firing siege on our gate walls. They did this for close to 30-35 minutes before they finally ran off with it. I'd definitely say there needs to be a change

i don't think there is anything zos can do that wouldn't break things cuz the issue is your faction is lacking population; and, 30 minutes isn't a long time. if someone only has an hour to play, he or she might need to reconsider large map pvp and play bg's instead. now if it's the t-bagging, isn't that reportable?
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make the scrolls reset to the keep they were taken from no matter who owns the keep. The one hour cool down is fine in my opinion.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    I know it won't stop an overpopulated faction from dominating a camp, but it would make trolling less fun. I mean I am all for trolling, but not in a mean way that costs your faction points even if they all a small number compared to the overall picture.

that's the thing though. attacking the enemy keep holding your faction's scroll and then taking that scroll to mess around when your faction is down by 5000+ points isn't costing your faction the camp. such cases are mostly found in blackreach/ravenwatch on pc-na so i don't see why such trolls need to be punished.

but like i said, if scroll trolling is happening in close scoring camps on other platforms and regions then zos should do some spanking and there's a report category for that.
    xFocused wrote: »

i don't think there is anything zos can do that wouldn't break things cuz the issue is your faction is lacking population; and, 30 minutes isn't a long time. if someone only has an hour to play, he or she might need to reconsider large map pvp and play bg's instead. now if it's the t-bagging, isn't that reportable?

I didn't say it would cost the faction the camp nor did I say they need to be punished. In fact, I said the exact opposite to both of those things. I don't mind trolls, but not that way. Even if the camp is lost, it does not mean you can't still pvp and have fun. So maybe people want to get their scroll, run it home and get their small number points. I will never agree with scroll trolling personally. I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me either. It's okay if we see things differently.
  • ArgonianAustin
    ArgonianAustin
    ✭✭✭
    But i love grabbing scrolls especially when im the one that set up the trebs and tried for an hour breaking in, hiding or fighting players depending on how many until i solo grab it. So i play around with it, go swimming. Enter bruma (im usually on yellow), run up that mountain with the giant on top. Theres many secret fun areas i take it, usually my brother will be there and we will try to defend it.
    Who really cares about a 2-5% buff anyways.
    Also ive been playing this game since day 1 console, im bored of turning it in. I get no ap and it looks so good on my characters because they are all colored blue, i usually go for the scrolls glowing blue.
    Just a Lizard Man that plays ESO with my twin brother khajiit_kyle