Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Jabs animation is lore-unfriendly.

Oakenaxe
Oakenaxe
✭✭✭✭
The Templar's new jabs animation has been a topic of controversy. I actually liked the new animation at first (it has a much better rendering), but after reading this topic (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/615498/templar-animation-looks-like-a-fishing-gaffe-rather-than-a-spear-of-aedric-origins/p1) I confirmed that the visual chosen by the devs is that of the Nighthollow style. Jabs now look like the Nighthollow staff. This is the description of the Nighthollow motif: "The panoply of the Nighthollow vampires evokes the sublime terror of their shadowy domain. Mortals who see this fearsome armor rarely keep their blood for long." - Crown Store description. So we have a vampiric weapon in an Aedric Spear abillity. Totally out of touch with the Templar class. Wasn't this pointed out by anybody from the team? Are you aware of this?
a.k.a. Leo
non-native English speaker
200-300 ping and low fps player
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope they fix this. It's very lore-breaking :(
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    I really hope they fix this. It's very lore-breaking :(

It wouldnt be the first time they refuse to fix something that's blatantly lore-breaking.

More likely they'll try to retroactively explain it away or just gaslight us into forgetting about it. Remember the obvious Ayleid ruins on Auridon? Oh wait they have red fire instead of blue so its Altmeri. Oh wait the ruins on Summerset look entirely different. Oh wait I guess those ruins on Auridon were built by ayleids who returned to Summerset.

The constant soft-retcons are so tiring. The spear is just another drop in the huge bucket of tiny inconsistencies, but it adds up to a major worldbuilding problem.
    Edited by psychotrip on August 23, 2022 2:19AM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the amount of asset reuse in the game when it doesn’t make sense.
  • Mascen
    Mascen
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Oakenaxe
    Was not aware, but Nighthollow, seriously? Bloody Mara, they could've at least used Imperial Champion or V1 Breton.

@Aliyavana
    Welcome to the modern gaming industry, its an endemic problem
  • DizzyMac
    DizzyMac
    ✭✭✭
    it actually looks more like a farmer shovelling cow [snip] than it does fishing

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 23, 2022 2:18PM
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope the devs notice this mistake
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be the same shape as a nighthollow staff, but it's actually a templar spear. You can tell the difference by the color and the fact that nobody in ESO stabs things with a staff.
  • Oakenaxe
    Oakenaxe
    ✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    I really hope the devs notice this mistake

At this point I'm sure they noticed it. If they care enough to do something about it, remains to be seen.
    a.k.a. Leo
    non-native English speaker
    200-300 ping and low fps player
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that reusing the visual asset from the Nighthollow motif is a canonical statement that the Templar spear is based on the Nighthollow clan lore-wise.

It seems like it was chosen for being a spear-looking weapon style that fits the general look of the Templar. It looks ceremonial and mystical to me, so I can see why it might have been picked.

Even though I don't find it lore-breaking, I still prefer the old animation a lot.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that reusing the visual asset from the Nighthollow motif is a canonical statement that the Templar spear is based on the Nighthollow clan lore-wise.

It seems like it was chosen for being a spear-looking weapon style that fits the general look of the Templar. It looks ceremonial and mystical to me, so I can see why it might have been picked.

Even though I don't find it lore-breaking, I still prefer the old animation a lot.

I respectfuly disagree on this one because I think aesthetics and motifs do matter. They have a meaning and express something in particular. So even if I in my head-cannon I don't associate it with the Nighthollow clan, it still has a vampire aesthetic to it that is impossible to ignore visually-wise.

There are motifs that are less defining, more neutral, but this one does contradict the Templar as a whole. I would've gone with a more neutral looking spear to let the aesthetics of the animation match a wider range of playable characters. Another example of what would've been a bad motif choice, in my opinion, would be a very racially defined motif because then it would be hard to not associate your Templar lore-wise with that race in particular, take for instance: why would an Imperial Pantheon god bless a Redguard character with a dunmer/altmer looking weapon? You'd probably have to make up a backstory to justify that.

TL,DR: aesthetics and motifs affect how we interpret art.
  • kynesgrove
    kynesgrove
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with @joseayalac

Player read is very important because it helps us infer story and relevance within the world building. Its part of not only immersion but faction identification. I can only understand the use of Nighthollow because there sadly isn't really many full on spear specific looking weapons in the game. In that case they need to create a specific one, I would hope, like an artifact.

And with that said, we can look at the lore from what the crafting motif says about the spear itself LINK
    STAVES

Made from a long rod of dark iron, a Nighthollow staff features a headpiece in the form of a wide-bladed spearhead. This is generally not used for stabbing, and instead focuses and directs the weapon's destructive energy.

"Generally not used for stabbing."

Nighthollow.jpg?fit=263%2C528&ssl=1

So what does this description invoke images of? Fellow players I introduce to you:

hsw7iqmuo526.png

The Templar Tactical Shovel.
    Unfortunately it does everything except stabby.

But enough jabs, whomever spearheaded this decision I personally hope shafts the decision and uses other more pointed motifs like High Elf Tier 1 & 2 (Would look pretty neat and simple in light form).

Best (most effort) outcome is make a unique model.

"The shrine is breathtaking, sitting upon a rise and dominated by many standing stones carved with holy runes. The place truly seems to have been kissed by Kyne's icy breath."
    - Urig the Wanderer