The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

update 35 ToT no fun

tru418
tru418
Soul Shriven
As the title says, I don't mean the changes to the card values and stuff.
The new color scheme is not good and was a waste of coding time.
The RNG on the dealer is even worse.
The confirmation of pulling a card is confusing, and needs to go back to a dbl click or a brigher color to signify that card is selected (which all selection of cards needed to begin w/).
I'm still queuing and getting set for a match, hit f, says can't join. Don't get added to queue, get bumped out of queue. Repeat. Repeat. etc.
Making agents bright red... that have taunt is remanence of kids games.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tru418 wrote: »
    The confirmation of pulling a card is confusing, and needs to go back to a dbl click or a brigher color to signify that card is selected (which all selection of cards needed to begin w/).
    I'm still queuing and getting set for a match, hit f, says can't join. Don't get added to queue, get bumped out of queue. Repeat. Repeat. etc.

Wait! The new color scheme is supposed to be a new intentional thing?
    I was thinking that it was some problem they had during the update. Or maybe someone was working on and uncalibrated screen and ruined the table light and color. It's too bad to be an intentional change. There an excessive green/yellow tint and problems with brightness and contrast. It seems impossible to fix at our end.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm OK with the colors functionally, although they're garish.

But I still have the problem that when I select a card to toss, I can't deselect it.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »

Wait! The new color scheme is supposed to be a new intentional thing?
    I was thinking that it was some problem they had during the update. Or maybe someone was working on and uncalibrated screen and ruined the table light and color. It's too bad to be an intentional change. There an excessive green/yellow tint and problems with brightness and contrast. It seems impossible to fix at our end.

Me too. I thought my monitor was bugged.

The colors simultaneously look washed out and have a horrible beige tint. For some reason I find it really hard to see. I wish I had gotten all the achievements pre-U35 because I don't want to play it now.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who came up with the idea of reducing the content of the reward boxes, now it's even less worth playing.
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    I find the new color scheme pretty comfortable. Did I mind the old one? nope. Is the new one better than the previous? Not really. Would I like to go back? Meh, because I was used to the old one perhaps. But in a few weeks I doubt I'll really care much about it.
    Can't say I've noticed any difference. It's either horrible or reasonable. Just as it was before really.
    The confirmation of pulling a card is confusing, and needs to go back to a dbl click or a brigher
    I agree. It doesn't have to go back per se, but at least allow the old-fashioned double-click to function as well.
    I'll leave that conclusion up to you. I'm sure many people will find it useful. I for one don't care either way. It is useful to see where your power will be spent before ending your turn, even if I have no real need for it.

What bothers me more with most of your suggestions is that they didn't care to put these things into your personal game options along with some other suggestions made in other threads before this, like the warning for patron victory and the one that "demands" you exceed your opponents prestige or risk losing the game. And of course allowing hotkeys for the same. Guess they were too busy ruining the PvE experience for some people to be bothered overly much with ToT. Shame really
    Edited by Veryamedliel on August 23, 2022 2:39PM
  • Rooatouille
    Rooatouille
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I haven't noticed much a difference in playing on the new patch. Cards have been more appropriately balanced (probably still needs tweaking going forward, but that's normal), but the appearance and other changes you've mentioned here just simply haven't been noticed by me. I play on gamepad as well, so the whole lack of double click hasn't been an issue for me personally, I'll ultimately leave judgement of that for those that play on the M+K interface but will say that I'm always for players having more options rather than less, if for nothing else than accessibility.
  • Jaclynn
    Jaclynn
    ✭✭✭
    To change "remove " to "replace" ....ugh....
    Don't like the red color on opponents agents.

I do like the confirmation on "select a card".
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

PC/NA
    @Jaclynn
    GM "The Rogue's Bounty"
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the new color scheme pretty comfortable. Did I mind the old one? nope. Is the new one better than the previous? Not really. Would I like to go back? Meh, because I was used to the old one perhaps. But in a few weeks I doubt I'll really care much about it.

As far as I understood you didn't have any trouble with the original light and colour of the board and you are ok with the new one. That's amazing! Good for you! So... Why do you sound somewhat worried if they revert it to help people who have trouble with the new weird aspect? Why? I really don't get. Seems that it's the same for you. Why are you worried?

I have my screen flawlessly calibrated and I can guarantee you that they messed up. And the worst problem is that it's hard for some people to stand this weird washed out aspect. It's tiring, it causes headaches, some of us are quitting because of a completely dumb change that brings nothing for the game. You seem to be ok with the old colour scheme. So... why would you care?

High Isle was released a few months ago. I didn't pay for this. This is not what they showed if presentations. What's this ridiculous colour change for? Do you know?
    Edited by NeKryXe on August 23, 2022 3:38PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    I don't know who came up with the idea of reducing the content of the reward boxes, now it's even less worth playing.

how did they reduce the rewards? i havent played any tribute yet since the patch released
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

how did they reduce the rewards? i havent played any tribute yet since the patch released

When you win 3 matches, instead of receiving 2 reward boxes now you receive only one, equivalent to 2 of the older reward boxes.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you win 3 matches, instead of receiving 2 reward boxes now you receive only one, equivalent to 2 of the older reward boxes.

is that for the pve or the pvp daily?

the pve daily would give 3 green boxes for 3 wins, ive not done any of the pvp dailies yet
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't notice any difference with the colors, but I've seen posts about it and some guildies were talking about it. What exactly changed?
    PCNA
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so far I've enjoyed it more, the big thing was taking the trash out of the reward bags. I enjoy playing it more when I feel like I'm not wasting my time just to get "Bravil's Best Beet Risotto", some trash pots, a soul gem, and 10 rubedite ore.

I can adjust to card costs and so far I haven't found the NPC's any more particularly difficult than before.

Honestly I was worried they'd do something so like every coin or writ of coin card the NPC's use give +1/2 coin and +1/2 power or something ridiculous like that. I'm used to devs making changes that are just focused around making something harder to the point of it not being fun.

thankfully so far that hasn't happened.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Formerly, you could decide to win 1, 2 or 3 matches for the daily PvE quest and got 1, 2 or 3 green reward boxes accordingly (extra to the 1 box you get for each match, so at the end you would have received 6 boxes altogether). Now for finishing the quest, you get only 1 purple reward box instead of the 3 green reward boxes, but the items inside aren't any better (except for a few gold coins more, but it's a ridiculous amount, really). The average box has 4 item slots, so you only get 4 things now instead of 3x4 things, which severely reduces the chance to get something useful. Also, a box normally only seems to include 1 more valuable item (furniture plan, hint for card improvement, recipe) at most, so also that chance is lowered by reducing the number of reward boxes from 3 to 1.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

Formerly, you could decide to win 1, 2 or 3 matches for the daily PvE quest and got 1, 2 or 3 green reward boxes accordingly (extra to the 1 box you get for each match, so at the end you would have received 6 boxes altogether). Now for finishing the quest, you get only 1 purple reward box instead of the 3 green reward boxes, but the items inside aren't any better (except for a few gold coins more, but it's a ridiculous amount, really). The average box has 4 item slots, so you only get 4 things now instead of 3x4 things, which severely reduces the chance to get something useful. Also, a box normally only seems to include 1 more valuable item (furniture plan, hint for card improvement, recipe) at most, so also that chance is lowered by reducing the number of reward boxes from 3 to 1.

so instead of 3 greens its 1 purple, i dont think thats a good enough upgrade

is the purple only given for 3 wins, or for any wins? it may be better to just stop at 1 or 2 win now unless you need the tribute xp
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭

As far as I understood you didn't have any trouble with the original light and colour of the board and you are ok with the new one. That's amazing! Good for you! So... Why do you sound somewhat worried if they revert it to help people who have trouble with the new weird aspect? Why? I really don't get. Seems that it's the same for you. Why are you worried?

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not worried. At all. Well, not about the ToT color scheme anyway. The old scheme was fine, the new one is also fine. Different, but fine. They can either go back or keep it as far as I'm concerned.
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotten used to the colors. I wondered initially if they changed them to improve visibility or contrast for people with color vision issues, but someone with R/G colorblindness would have to weigh in here.

I've noticed more instances of the same dealt card coming out 2-3 times in a row. Obviously, this is always a possibility, and I haven't crunched the numbers to determine the odds, but it seems to happen way more often than should in a game with so many different cards. I would assume the game is set up so that dealing any given card still in play is equally likely, but that doesn't seem to be so. It is amusing when the other player flushes a card they don't want you to get on your next turn, and the exact same card replaces it. Not so amusing when you're the one flushing the card.

The patch notes said the npcs would be a bit smarter, but they still do incredibly dumb things (like buying a bunch of cards after you have reached 40 before using the crow patron to turn gold into points, then not having enough points to catch up and losing).

The main difference I have seen is that the novice players will occasionally use agents other than the Hunding guy (to get more gold, which was the only patron they ever used before), but it's still very rare. I haven't seen much change in the experts, certainly. They will still do the same dumb thing when they select the sorcerer king deck and start clicking that patron every turn at some point, even if they are very far behind and don't have the cards to catch up. I dislike that deck but take a certain grim satisfaction in beating them when they pick it.

They also seem more likely to select the (to me) rather annoying strategy of using the Hlalu patron to "blow up" every single face card they have for points every chance they have. They would do this strategy occasionally, even before the patch, and it seemed like there was some hotfix that shifted the way the expert npcs handled that deck, but post update it's pretty much a given they will do this if that patron is in play. It often works and is counterable by mirroring the strategy, but like the sorcerer king spamming I don't find it super fun.

I wish the patch had made the Hlallu and Sorcerer King patrons like the crow or hunding patron and not be usable once you have favor. That would introduce some strategizing about the best time to use that patron's power. I notice that even the expert npc still never uses the purring liar patron.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't really think of much they can do to the game that would make it worse. It wasn't a very fun game to begin with; the design of the game has no retention aside from the long grind to finish the quest and to get all the decks and try them out. Once you've gotten all the cards and decks, and know how each deck works, the game goes from alright to boring. I've said it during the pts when the game was being tested; the card game isn't a competitive card game, but actually a party card game with a 2-person restriction. It feels like a party game without all the cards and mechanics for a party game (things like reversing the turn order, skipping turns, etc). Especially the patron mechanic. Right now, patrons aren't really a win condition, but instead a pay attention condition. If you stop paying attention, you lose to patrons, but in a party game with 4 people, it becomes a funny win condition again.

My wife was super into the card game when it came out. She said I was crazy and that the game is great and super fun. She played it for a couple weeks, played it less for a couple weeks after that, and hasn't touched it since. A couple days ago she brought it up and said the game got super boring once she knew all the game mechanics, and when she played it now, all it did was make her want to play Munckin, Fluxx, or Elder Scrolls Legends... You know, competent party games or competitive card games.

All that said, I don't want to yuck your yum, if you like the game and still play it, great! But to me, I would have liked a better card game if they were to release one. This one is.... Fine. But it would have been better to have been released as a physical card game that you buy the whole game with all the decks in a box at a game store, and it would have been better for 4 people in person. I could see it being semi popular like that, but it probably wouldn't make a ton of money.
    Edited by merpins on August 27, 2022 8:02PM
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    [...]

Opinions aside, you're wrong in calling ToT a "party game" - it doesn't fit the criteria in way too many aspects. However, if you're curious about deck builders like ToT you (and especially your wife) should check out either Dominion, Star Realms, Quacks of Quedlinburg or similar ones - those games have been around for years, with numerous expansions to keep the game interesting both through the amount of cards and new mechanics occasionally introduced. They usually support more than 2 players, perhaps have different game modes to keep things interesting.

While unique enough to differ from other deck builders, ToT suffers from too many flaws to be enjoyable (both bug and design wise). The (deck builder) genre itself can be fun (though, of course, it's not for everyone) and, personally, I feel like ToT is just a bad example.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get better ways to ID decks? Color schemes are not great for red green colorblind people.

While we are at work on that can we just get a true color blind overlay for the whole game? Like rival MMOs have?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaclynn wrote: »

I've noticed that the red aura around enemies seems darker and more notable. (I'm referring to any mobs, NPCs, bosses, etc. which are hostile toward you in the overall game.) I wonder if there's any connection between that and this, like some change in a color palette that's used throughout the game for things like hostile creatures, neutral creatures, etc.?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

I've noticed that the red aura around enemies seems darker and more notable. (I'm referring to any mobs, NPCs, bosses, etc. which are hostile toward you in the overall game.) I wonder if there's any connection between that and this, like some change in a color palette that's used throughout the game for things like hostile creatures, neutral creatures, etc.?

i think they did that to make it more noticeable that you can spend power to kill agents

or it makes it more obvious when there are agents with taunt active because only they have the red outlines
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

i think they did that to make it more noticeable that you can spend power to kill agents

or it makes it more obvious when there are agents with taunt active because only they have the red outlines

I wish they would stop doing things like this, or warning us when our opponent is about to get a patron win. Learning to notice these things is part of becoming a more skillful player and we should have the opportunity to learn theses things on our own.
    PCNA
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new color scheme, or beige wash that's been overlaid upon it, is certainly not something I'm crazy about. Instead, wouldn't it have been more helpful to change either Pelin or Rahjin so they weren't both red? I know the Patron wheel is distinct, with Rahjin being a burnt orange, but the cards in the tavern are the identical color. Erm....why?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is the purple only given for 3 wins, or for any wins? it may be better to just stop at 1 or 2 win now unless you need the tribute xp

I hadn't played cards for a while, but in case it's still relevant: You get a purple box for 3 wins, a blue box for 2 wins or a green box for 1 win.

Each box contains 3 stacks of some material (alchemy ingredients, crafting material,...) and a bit of gold. The amout of gold differs a little bit (not much, though), so you get a few coins more for a purple box than for a blue or green one, but other than that, there's no real difference - it's always 3 stacks of material. Purple boxes might have a better chance for extra items such as recipes or furniture, I don't know, but what I got so far was from blue and green boxes only, the purple never had anything interesting yet...

Oh, and you gain more xp for finishing the quest if you do 2 or 3 matches instead of only 1, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it either. If you want to get all achievements, get all card improvements, etc, you're going to play more than enough matches to level to the max anyway.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭

Agree. I thought they would give one green, one blue, one purple box for winning three daily npc games, but the one purple box doesn't seem to have the same probability of dropping something really good as three green boxes do.

Another thing is it seems that they reduced the odds of getting certain nice items pretty significantly. For instance, I used to get lots of heartwood, now I hardly ever get it. And I haven't seen one tapestry since the update. Are they only putting those in the pvp reward boxes now, or has my luck just been bad?

Wish more of the furniture plans that dropped in the reward boxes would be new ones from the expansion. I've only had luck getting those at the auction house (and the writ vendor). Not sure where to go in the game to see those drop.
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    I find the RNG even worse now because the costs of cards changed and the soc king PLEASE change that. It turns what could be a decent match into a click game that's no less boring than a slots game on your phone.

I usually leave those matches.

I also leave matches with players that are slow as can be. when im @ 4 - 24 and have the worst RNG to play against someone who plays slow as f is torture...

A timer on screen would be nice so we can see how long we are in the game so we can leave without the penalty!!!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hadn't played cards for a while, but in case it's still relevant: You get a purple box for 3 wins, a blue box for 2 wins or a green box for 1 win.

Each box contains 3 stacks of some material (alchemy ingredients, crafting material,...) and a bit of gold. The amout of gold differs a little bit (not much, though), so you get a few coins more for a purple box than for a blue or green one, but other than that, there's no real difference - it's always 3 stacks of material. Purple boxes might have a better chance for extra items such as recipes or furniture, I don't know, but what I got so far was from blue and green boxes only, the purple never had anything interesting yet...

Oh, and you gain more xp for finishing the quest if you do 2 or 3 matches instead of only 1, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it either. If you want to get all achievements, get all card improvements, etc, you're going to play more than enough matches to level to the max anyway.

i have done some of these quests since the change, ill say by far the purple ones are really meh, i would much prefer getting 3 green boxes again lol

i am already tribute rank 8 so the tribute xp is now meaningless

sometimes if i do the matches i dont bother past 1 unless i feel like playing more rounds of tribute that day lol (since im still missing about 6 card upgrades from clues from the boxes still)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master