Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Default Wrong Server - Have to reinstall entire client?!

andersthedifferentnrb19_ESO
So there we go, I decide to have a great 7 hours of play time until I discover that the server I'm playing on is actually NA, I didn't choose NA, it was chosen for me somehow. So here I am having wasted 7 hours, decide to switch to EU, and to add insult to injury I have to redownload the ENTIRE CLIENT to simply switch servers???

I mean, I can understand a small patch, but what the hell, thats 22 gigs, there goes launch day?!

What can I do to prevent having to redownload the entire game, and why the hell is this the default setting?

Thanks
  • andersthedifferentnrb19_ESO
    Adding EU to the NA folder name makes the client check instead of redownload the whole thing, takes about 30 mins by the looks of it.

Either way, unnecessary...
    Actually scratch that, it stopped at 80% and is now downloading the entire client again. Great.

Anyone have any ideas..?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if you are on a PC or Mac.

It is too easy to make this mistake and I submitted several tickets pointing to tout but it has not been changed yet. They do note it in the Support page article here:
    WHY DOES THE ESO INSTALLER RECOMMEND THE US MEGASERVER ALTHOUGH I AM IN EUROPE?
    Updated 03/27/2014 04:10 PM Published 03/27/2014 03:51 PM
    There is a slight text display issue of the word "Recommended" in the current version of the ESO Installer. The initial Megaserver selection button is placed correctly and has the European Megaserver preselected if you are in Europe. This display error is purely cosmetic and will be fixed once a new build of the web installer is available.

But on the Mac Installer this is not the case and it stays on North America on the settings page with the Recommended under it.

Anyhow it sucks.

To avoid a new install you can try using the current one and renaming the folder.
    BACKUP folder first. It's important as it's possible it can wipe out the folder when process is cancelled.

Close Launcher.

Got to the Zenimax Online Folder. Duplicate the existing folder The Elder Scrolls Online, then rename the copy The Elder Scrolls Online EU.
    Relaunch Launcher and open the Options (cog icon top left). Change Megaserver to Europe and Apply.

Now it should give option to Install from Game Options. Click and start Install process. This normally starts to create the temp data folder in:

/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online EU/depot

Try Pausing the install now and see if you get a Repair option. If not. Quit and do the same and see if Repair is an option. If not, let it install the temp folder (takes a bit of time on a mac and almost instant on a PC) Then Pause and select Cancel in options. Now sometimes it just wipes the whole folder. But hopefully it will now offer the Repair option.

At whichever point press Repair and let it Verify your install. It 'should' now verify the existing data folders etc one at a time and download some small updates usually. Eventually it should finish without any big downloads and Complete.

Then you should be able to connect and play on the Europe megaserver as normal.

Sorry it is a bit complicated but getting the Repair option is not exact and I find it doesn't always appear.

Anyhow worth a try ion a duplicate instead of a full Install. Just Backup folder first.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 3, 2014 1:28AM
    Trying it now, thanks a lot
    Nope, sorry, doesn't work, immediately jumps to "download" after checking what I had downloaded before (even if I delete that, none of it matters) never get an option to repair
    Ok great! Finally the repair button appeared after indeed cancelling, restarting pc, restarting client, youre my hero!

Thank Akatosh
  • AtriasNaradan
    AtriasNaradan
    ✭✭✭
    yep, it works like a charm on shaving the needed files to be downloaded big time, now i can easily play on both server, thanks man :)
  • topku
    topku
    Soul Shriven
    i copied the folder and renamed, but when starting install, it tells no free space of 60 GB. yes because I already doubled it's size. now if I don't want to delete or move anything, does it means I have to play in NA server only ?
  • Norcus
    Norcus
    I have tried many times to restart client and PC but it does not work. Is there a way to "force" a repair?
  • Norcus
    Norcus
    I just figured it out!! There is a tiny drop down menu over the "news" feed. It acutally says "Game Options". When the launcher is updating, choose cancel from the menu. Then click OK in the popup. Then go back to the menu and now there is an option to "Repair" :)
  • Anmaja
    Anmaja
    That worked for me! Thank you! :D
    I just need to download a small amount of data now.

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Norcus wrote: »
    I just figured it out!! There is a tiny drop down menu over the "news" feed. It acutally says "Game Options". When the launcher is updating, choose cancel from the menu. Then click OK in the popup. Then go back to the menu and now there is an option to "Repair" :)
    It does work this way sometimes but b e aware that sometimes when you hit Cancel it can wipe your entire folder. So best to work with a duplicate install folder.

I was testing with copies of the EU install and this happened several times. The hard bit is to get it to give the Repair option. it's not consistent, at least on the Mac Launcher which is fundamentally the same.

I put this in my post on this method above.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 3, 2014 1:29AM