The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do we have to close eso with a .bat file?

stybbe17b16_ESO
stybbe17b16_ESO
✭✭✭
Closing ESO normally can take from 5 to 30 sec. While using a simple bat file like
taskkill /f /im bethesda.net_Launcher.exe
taskkill /f /im eso64.exe

Closes everything instantly. What is the game doing at exit that no other game is doing?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 22, 2022 1:41AM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it does take a while to close out the game even after the 10 second warning.

I am minorly inconvenienced by this delay and would favor elaboration at ZOS's earliest convenience.
    Edited by Dr_Con on August 17, 2022 1:01PM
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing the process terminates the client immediately, where as exiting through the game generates logs on termination.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [SNIP] I mean, it's not like you need any of the running programs and stuff to update logs and stuff so you don't potentially get any error messages when you go to start up your programs and maybe have to rebuild files or reinstall anything, right? It's not like I haven't ever had any sudden and unexpected power outages during electrical storms and had everything be just fine afterward. Live dangerously!

Or live cautiously, and let the program shut down the way it wants to shut down. Is waiting for it to stop closing down keeping you from running other programs on your computer?
    Edited by ZOS_Suserial on August 17, 2022 5:01PM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Closing ESO normally can take from 5 to 30 sec.

Talk about first world problems, jeebus...
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason it takes so long is that it is updating the SavedVariables files to your hard drive for the Addons you have installed.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason it takes so long is that it is updating the SavedVariables files to your hard drive for the Addons you have installed.

Usersettings.txt also, if you changed any settings.

Force close the program and you may be left wondering why any changes you make don't seem to be sticking.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine closes down quite quickly but then I don't run any addons. However, for some months now I've noticed that once I'm back to the desktop it takes longer than it used to do for e.g. my browser or email app to open up properly. Mind you, that's probably Windows 10 as I think it's probably quicker on my Windows 7 machine.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I have nothing else running, ESO will close fully in 10 seconds but if I have a browser open ( I don't recommend ) it will take much longer, sometimes a few minutes
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Ye lets not give critics and just live on with a bad product. I hope all your applications have some sort of delay.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I've never noticed the closing time for ESO. It doesn't stand out at all.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ye lets not give critics and just live on with a bad product. I hope all your applications have some sort of delay.

Your delay is from saving addon and game setting variables along with the possibility your low on RAM and half the game is stored in your swapfile which may have to be retrieved and accessed before shutting down. Maybe its yur PC slowing you down as mine takes 3secs tops
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's taking longer than you like due to updating things like the settings file(s), maybe the problem is more to do with your operating system and antivirus/antimalware programs? They can tend to be overly protective whenever programs update files on your system, especially if the files are in protected folders.
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »

Your delay is from saving addon and game setting variables along with the possibility your low on RAM and half the game is stored in your swapfile which may have to be retrieved and accessed before shutting down. Maybe its yur PC slowing you down as mine takes 3secs tops

The game is not using the swapfile and my guess is that you have the game installed on a ssd as well (550MB/s write speed). So if you think 3 sec close time is normal, tell me what setting variables need 1.5GB to be saved at exit?
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sales addons like MM/ATT,and libhistoire need to sort,clean and patch on logging in/out of game,and it can be quite large depending on how long the data has been saved.Some combat addons do similar things,depending on how many fights saved.If you usng the UESPlog addon,then expect extreme login/logouts and possible crashes,seeing it reads/writes almost every stat,quest,etc in game to logs.When you force quit the game,there's a chance of corrupting not only savedvariables,but other files game has in use.
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sales addons like MM/ATT,and libhistoire need to sort,clean and patch on logging in/out of game,and it can be quite large depending on how long the data has been saved.Some combat addons do similar things,depending on how many fights saved.If you usng the UESPlog addon,then expect extreme login/logouts and possible crashes,seeing it reads/writes almost every stat,quest,etc in game to logs.When you force quit the game,there's a chance of corrupting not only savedvariables,but other files game has in use.

I use none of these but it is a valid point. If one addon has some weird on exit function it could cause the delay.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only thing i could think of is they did have that one weird issue during high isle PTS where it was causing the windows explorer to crash on exit (some people noticed the taskbar was flickering or disappeared briefly)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting: this thread may have enlightened me as to why instead of closing, the game so often crashes. I use very few addons, like Minimap, Harvest Map, Companion Info and a two or three dungeon/trial assistants (you know, those that tell you when some mechanic is about to happen, etc.). Even if my addons aren't the cause, I already learned something new!
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe for ONE SECOND that it's busy 'saving data'... it doesn't take that long to save data. I've been running a list of addons for years and it wasn't until about six months ago this started becoming a problem. Just getting a BLACK screen when exiting... sometimes it will close and return to desktop in a few seconds, sometimes I've let it sit for over five minutes and had to manually CTRL-ALT-DELETE 'end task' it... on Win10. They changed something, and whatever they changed, has it seemingly locking up- sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently, resulting in a forced 'end task' to actually close the black screen.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    You also don't need to run the launcher, unless you're updating the game. Just run eso64.exe, and kill it when you're done playing. I don't know if it makes a performance improvement in-game not to have the launcher running in the background, but it might.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This may be an unusually long (un)load time"
    Or maybe the game triple checks that you are not in combat
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that is one of the reasons they are redoing the coding on the servers.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I don't believe for ONE SECOND that it's busy 'saving data'... it doesn't take that long to save data. I've been running a list of addons for years and it wasn't until about six months ago this started becoming a problem. Just getting a BLACK screen when exiting... sometimes it will close and return to desktop in a few seconds, sometimes I've let it sit for over five minutes and had to manually CTRL-ALT-DELETE 'end task' it... on Win10. They changed something, and whatever they changed, has it seemingly locking up- sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently, resulting in a forced 'end task' to actually close the black screen.

That sounds more like something going on with your computer that's causing problems intermittently. Instead of just using Ctrl-Alt-Delete to force quit the next time that happens, maybe it would be helpful to pop up the Task Manager and see what processes are running, especially the ones using the most CPU time and hard drive access.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

That sounds more like something going on with your computer that's causing problems intermittently. Instead of just using Ctrl-Alt-Delete to force quit the next time that happens, maybe it would be helpful to pop up the Task Manager and see what processes are running, especially the ones using the most CPU time and hard drive access.

Or open the event log. It's amazing the amount of info that holds as to what's actually happening backend.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of kill commands just hard power off and back on.

It's the only way to be sure.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, wouldn't Alt + F4 be even faster?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the number of characters affect this, I wonder? Does it take longer for the game to updates its settings file for, say, 18 characters than for 1 character?
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it more annoying that after an infinite load screen ESO cannot be killed and sits in memory for ages.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any problems with the game closing, it only takes a couple of seconds max. I have Windows 10 with the game installed on an SSD separate from the OS. And I run the game directly from the exe instead of using the launcher.

But sometimes when I first run the game it'll minimize to the taskbar. No idea why, it's the only game that has ever done this.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    ...sometimes it will close and return to desktop in a few seconds, sometimes I've let it sit for over five minutes and had to manually CTRL-ALT-DELETE 'end task' it... on Win10.

I started experiencing this over the last month or so. I consider a "Normal" exit to be 5-15 seconds for my machine (12900k/z690, all SSDs, Win11). But suddenly about a month ago, that changed. While some exits were still "normal", about 80% of them would hang forever (>5 minutes) and had to be force terminated.

Tried a couple dozen things... including Repair, new video drivers, new sound drivers, rolling back some Windows updates, starting eso64.exe directly, starting as administrator, changing various settings (full screen, windowed, medium instead of ultra, single/multi-threaded renderer, etc. etc. etc. -- but the problem persisted.

THEN... I deleted all files from %appdata%\local\NVIDIA\DXCache\ and deleted the ..\eso\live\shadercache.cooked file. No more hangs after that -- every exit is now what I consider "Normal" (i.e., 5-15 seconds on my machine). Not sure which cache was the problem, since I deleted both at same time.

Easy thing to try, may help and may not -- but surprisingly it fixed the problem for me -- therefore my conclusion is that one of the caches was corrupt, and rebuilding it fixed the issue.