Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Where's the general/game discussion?

Moonbeast32
Man, I sure love forums. They are delicious. I wanna be a frequenter of these forums, but as of now, I don't really have anything appropriate to say. I mean, I haven't had the chance to play the game yet, so I don't have any support/guild/gameplay questions. Could someone please direct me to the general discussion sub-forum? Any other topic would be inappropriate for what I want to post
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None. :(

In the beta there were sections of your 'role' (e.g. sanguine's section) where general discussion took place.
    Although we still have polls and things, discussion now seems very focused - there is no general discussion.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I share the OPs concern. None of my topics fit any of the others.

There was a General Discussion forum in the earlier stages of the beta. Sometime in he later of 2013 they removed the General Discussion and it has yet to return.

This entire site deserves some much needed attention. We need to rethink the entire layout, here.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Moonbeast32
    Inversus wrote: »

In the beta there were sections of your 'role' (e.g. sanguine's section) where general discussion took place.
    Although we still have polls and things, discussion now seems very focused - there is no general discussion.

What!? Awwwwwwwww. What's a forum without general discussion?
  • Melian9
    Melian9
    Soul Shriven
    Maybe they thought general discussion forums attracted too much trolling? If so, that's a shame: they do attract trolling, but they also create community. :(
  • Moonbeast32
    I share the OPs concern. None of my topics fit any of the others.

There was a General Discussion forum in the earlier stages of the beta. Sometime in he later of 2013 they removed the General Discussion and it has yet to return.

This entire site deserves some much needed attention. We need to rethink the entire layout, here.
    Melian9 wrote: »
    Maybe they thought general discussion forums attracted too much trolling? If so, that's a shame: they do attract trolling, but they also create community. :(
    Great. Now my good mood is spoiled. Where do I go to complain about there being no general discussion forum?
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭

I miss Sanguine's section!
    Beta group subforums should have been kept to encourage the beta testers to build community.
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I really wish there was a General Discussion section.
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Ganacampo
    Ganacampo
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that a General Discussion section is needed.
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully once things settle down we can gave a GD forum here. For now you can always join a general game site such as MMORPG.com, or one of the many excellent TES/ESO fansite forums.
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    I love the current set up. Although a general discussion would be nice. Then again whenever there is one everything just gets thrown in there. I like that you actually have to post stuff in the correct section here instead of GD being swamped. They did a great job on these forums. Well they will once they take away those other languages and put them somewhere else.
  • GholarDraki
    Going off of previous experience with General Discussion forums on the Official website of a game I would say that - although they can be a good thing - they can be a breeding ground for chain and spam threads which take a lot of moderation to keep on top of. The time they would have to spend closing down offensive threads/posts and responding to report notifications means there would be less time/resources they can spend on answering genuine questions and interacting with the community.

As mentioned, they can be a good source of building forum communities, especially at launch, but that "community" can quickly become exclusive with a handful of posters becoming "Kingpin"-like and having a status within the General Discussion section. I've seen it all before and it never ends well.
    KariTR wrote: »
    Hopefully once things settle down we can gave a GD forum here. For now you can always join a general game site such as MMORPG.com, or one of the many excellent TES/ESO fansite forums.

I would do the above. Fansites can generate great communities also and contribute large amounts to the game itself outside of the Official forums.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, this is something many were hoping would be fixed from the old beta forums.

Meh, it still may be, but the folks at Zenimax have bigger fish to fry right now.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll throw my hat in for missing Sanguine's section. Though I do agree when we had it, pretty much everything got thrown in there. Even still it was a great community even with the few... less than favorable people
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree a general discussion would add a lot to the forums - I think ZOS should really collapse some of the subforms (e.g. collapse all the different skill line forums into a single skill line discussion) and also create a general discussion.
    This would mean there are less various subforums, but hopefully more discussion on the ones that would still exist.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Bunk
    Bunk
    ✭✭✭
    no general discussion = unsub
    idiot
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bunk wrote: »
    no general discussion = unsub

Sounds reasonable.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This forum theme and format is terrible. I love this game and this community, but this is the best that a multi million dollar company can do? It's ludicrous
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's not a great forum layout to be honest. I preferred the temporary forum we had, frankly. There really should be a General Discussion forum where players can shoot the breeze, if only to keep general stuff out of the other subforums.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, I'd rather stay at my guild's forum. I feel a little lost here. I miss Sanguine.

The layout is confusing. There's a million sections in three different languages, I hope they're working on a language filter, because right now it looks really messy. I don't think we need so many layers. Take Crafting Discussion, I'm clicking the same name twice - it should take me straight to user threads with 'welcome to the forum' as a sticky on top. And threads take only half the page. So much space wasted on character portraits and category list. It's inefficient.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 31, 2014 12:04AM
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These forums are a bit of a mess, I like the sub categories but navigation is terrible and really? No general discussion? :/
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    I can understand why they don't have a general discussion, they can be counter productive at times.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭

What!? Awwwwwwwww. What's a forum without general discussion?

Agreed, I was just looking for the general forums. Need to add one ESO. Cannot have forums without a general discussion area, it is a must have.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    Xabien wrote: »
    These forums are a bit of a mess, I like the sub categories but navigation is terrible and really? No general discussion? :/

LOL, this is funny. Before I managed to dig out this discussion I was just chatting with a buddy and we were saying the same thing. The forums are messy and very hard to navigate. Just a friendly suggestion to ESO, may be a good idea to fix this issue now so new players can navigate and find help and post what they need. And please create a general discussion area.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Tbh, I'd rather stay at my guild's forum. I feel a little lost here. I miss Sanguine.

The layout is confusing. There's a million sections in three different languages, I hope they're working on a language filter, because right now it looks really messy. I don't think we need so many layers. Take Crafting Discussion, I'm clicking the same name twice - it should take me straight to user threads with 'welcome to the forum' as a sticky on top. And threads take only half the page. So much space wasted on character portraits and category list. It's inefficient.

Again agree 100%, need to separate the languages. I thought maybe I had gone to the wrong forum. I don't understand why none of this was hashed out before launch. I take it they play as well and have played many other MMO's like most of us have. I hope the game is not as confusing as the forums are. Need to create a separate website and forums area for each language. Having them all on one is really going to get messy and out of control fast.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    GreySix wrote: »

Yep, this is something many were hoping would be fixed from the old beta forums.

Meh, it still may be, but the folks at Zenimax have bigger fish to fry right now.

Come on now, putting a nice forums together can be done in half a day. I can even do that. They need to fix this asap.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh , trully , the lack of a general discussion area is weird.

that said , i do think they have a good base here , with some changes this forum may yet be the best i ever saw.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Disodium
    Disodium
    Forum needs General Game Discussions!
    There is not even a 'Suggestions' area!
    Sith Legion - An Australian easy going/relaxed 18+ gaming community.
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed!
    Because I love the game I'd like to leave a few suggestions.
    - to be able to toggle player nameplates
    - add a search function on the guild store, it's hard to look for something.
    - why no pop up saying what you looted when autoloot is on
    - tab doesn't seem to work?

That's it! :-D
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the Templar discussion form that's what I want. Forget general discussion I need my specific class to have its own section.
  • Srikandi
    Srikandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Needs a general discussion forum, and also a bug report forum and a feedback forum... seems to be a lot of bug reports in the "ask questions" forum.