Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What is Dragonknight considered?

zellsantarellib14_ESO
Still new to the game and so far I have only one character right now which is a Dragonknight level 50 and have over 200 CP at this time. I was looking online to find some dps builds I could go with and most of them I can only find are dagger and staff builds and using mostly cloth armor. So, my question is Dragronknight more of a rouge and mage type class? Because the name itself sounded more the type that would wear heavy armor to do lots of damage and taking it at the same, a dps/tank which is more my style and going for but from the look of the builds if I want to do high damage I have to play more like a rouge or a mage.

I also heard a few people tanking is more support rather than a real tank like in other mmos which I am not a fan on playing as just a support. That said I'm not sure how to move forward, is there more of a build that I am looking for that could match the other current builds or am I to change my play style in order to match the current build to do the most damage?
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Historically light armor was designed for healers/magicka damage dealers, medium armor for stamina damage dealers and heavy for tanks.

But more recently armor has been updated to allow a wider variety of play styles. If you look at the armor skill lines you'll see that wearing light armor improves your critical chance and penetration, medium improves weapon damage and heavy improves blocking and resisting damage. The different types of armor also provide different amounts of base resistance (protection).

Most builds use a mix of weights to get some of the benefits of each armor type.

Sets that drop from overland encounters, dungeons, arenas and trials will always come in a fixed weight: light, medium or heavy. But crafted armor can be made in any weight so you can make damage dealing sets like Hundings Rage or Orders Wrath in heavy if you want to.

• W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    typically you are either one thing or another, splitting between tank and dps would decrease your effectiveness in one of the things.

typically you'll see magdks (at the higher dps tier) running 3 light and 4 medium or 2 light and 5 medium. All other classes at the higher level run 6 medium 1 light.

Personally i've always considered magdk to be a battle mage, orginally when i first created mine (back in 2016) i ran dw swords, because back then a destro was only considered a 1 piece of an item set... then when 2 handed weapons were made to count as 2 pieces to a set i swapped to destro staff. but currently dw nets a slightly higher amount of dps so ive been back to running dw (but daggers now)
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    Historically light armor was designed for healers/magicka damage dealers, medium armor for stamina damage dealers and heavy for tanks.

But more recently armor has been updated to allow a wider variety of play styles. If you look at the armor skill lines you'll see that wearing light armor improves your critical chance and penetration, medium improves weapon damage and heavy improves blocking and resisting damage. The different types of armor also provide different amounts of base resistance (protection).

Most builds use a mix of weights to get some of the benefits of each armor type.

Sets that drop from overland encounters, dungeons, arenas and trials will always come in a fixed weight: light, medium or heavy. But crafted armor can be made in any weight so you can make damage dealing sets like Hundings Rage or Orders Wrath in heavy if you want to.

The first part of this is correct in describing the benefits of the different armor. However, the types of armor one chooses depend on their build.

If they are doing a pure magicka build with a pure DPS focus, then all light armor is the way to go. Same with stamina builds using all medium armor, and tanking builds use heavy armor. The passives are per piece of armor, which means wearing more of that type is most beneficial.

To drive home the benefit of stacking those passives, before the current passive design it was common for a magicka user to wear one HA and one MA for the undaunted passives. The current benefits of those passives are beneficial enough that player go for all seven pieces.

In PvP, some will choose to be tankier and wear heavy and there are also hybrid builds that will likely wear different pieces to create a build to their liking.

I am speaking to optimal builds and not even meta.

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's how the character looks which bothers you then you could use an outfit. These are purely cosmetic overlays for your armour which change how it looks without affecting the stats. So for example you could have a character wearing full light armour for the stats but with an outfit which makes it look like platemail.

Also ESO doesn't strictly match up classes and roles. Certain classes may be more popular for a role in the current meta-game, but that's players preferences. It's possible to make a dragonknight a tank, a damage dealer or a healer, or a mix of two (or all 3, but that gets messy). Same with a templar or a sorcerer or any of the other classes. The role you'll play in a group is determined by the armour, weapons and skills you pick with each class doing each role slightly differently.

Most of the game is easy and flexible enough that you can play whatever you like and it will work, it's only really in harder group content like veteran dungeons and trials, and of course in PvP, that people really worry about optimal builds.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO seems to try and make classes be good at all 3 roles. So... Some things are better than others, but you shouldnt worry too much. Dragon knights don't make great healers for example but they CAN do it. Sorcerers don't make great tanks but they can do it.

The only thing you need to do really is pick what you want to be and build for it. Don't change your mind over and over, really nail it down, and you'll be fine. Two months ago DKs were the undisputed king of everything. If you want to do damage you'll be just fine. Doesn't matter if you use fire or poison. Just pick what you want and try to be consistent in a way that shows some effective synergy between your charscter's details.... Meaning skills attributes and gear.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DKs are a pretty solid class, albeit limited. In PVE, as tanks, they are probably the best. As DD's the Mag DK is by far stronger and more fun to play than its stamina cousin. In PVP, they have had a pretty good run of being a viable option. They have phenomenal self-heals, too.

The class trait I say best describes the DK is that they are best with fire skills and DOTs.
  • zellsantarellib14_ESO
    Danikat wrote: »
    If it's how the character looks which bothers you then you could use an outfit. These are purely cosmetic overlays for your armour which change how it looks without affecting the stats. So for example you could have a character wearing full light armour for the stats but with an outfit which makes it look like platemail.

It wasn't about looks; it was more the play style. Because of so many skills and can only have some many on your bars I am trying to find a good play style I can get used to. Also, I wanted to max my overall damage best I can. I am trying to understand what gear or gear pieces I should invest my time into farming or crafting, so when I do the dungons/raids/ect or being in groups I can at least keep up with everyone and not feel like I am not dead weight if that make sense?

With the builds I seen I was making sure I was playing it right or if I have to play it different. But with what I am getting from everyone all class's can be any role depending how you use the skills and armor pieces.

Thx for the input guys, I will see if I can rest my skills, might as well do Mag build and see how far I can go with that, started with stam but sounds like Mag is more where I need to go.