Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie Questions from a Wow Player

StuppyJoe
StuppyJoe
So, I'm an experienced Wow player but new to Elder Scrolls. I'm feeling pretty lost (used to knowing what to do, I forgot how confusing it can be at first). Here are some newbie questions that I have:

How do I chat? /1, enter? My questions are in white and seem to be ignored so I suspect that I'm 'saying' not 'chatting'.

How do I find a quest on the map? I'm totally lost.

What's with crafting, can I do all professions? Can I disenchant items? How do I find plants etc. out in the world? (I only found one and it was entirely accidentallly, I moused over it, as far as the screen looked it was just black.

How do I cook?

How do I invite people to a player guild (at this stage, it is a guild for the mutually confused....).

Is there an auction house equivalent?

Most importantly, where are the gnomes?
Thanks in advance
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    For crafting you can watch Tamriel Foundry's youtube video:
    Rudrias' Crafting Corner
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    These are actually really helpful. Thanks for the link.
    Edited by StuppyJoe on March 30, 2014 3:11PM
  • Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    Check this offical Manual
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/official-news-discussions/p2
    Sorry for all the confusing french and german mixed with the english posts.
    Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Not really helpful. Read this and did the opening quests, still kind of lost. Need a more comprehensive tutorial.
    Edited by StuppyJoe on March 30, 2014 3:10PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, there's a thread about chat and grouping, exactly what you need.

There is no action house, you trade in person or through a guild store (need 50 members first, or you could join/guest in one of trading guilds).

I'm not sure what you mean about quests. Quest markers appear on your compass and above people's heads (they can be turned off, I think). You can see them on the map when you cycle between active quests (T).

Plants can be difficult to see, especially in AD (so many flowers in Auridon...) You can put a point in Keen Eye to make them glow when you're near, it's especially useful at night. Other mats are typically more visible.

No gnomes in Tamriel, sorry.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 30, 2014 3:11PM
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    No...gnomes? Could I maybe have a little gnome. Just one?

I can only see the quest markers when the quest is highlighted? And what is Keen Eye (I take it that is some skill point?)
    Edited by StuppyJoe on March 30, 2014 3:14PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. You can have a Bosmer though. They're so tiny when you're playing a max height male Altmer. :smiley:
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    **searches for pink hair**

• Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should spend some time just exploring and give it some time. It would seem reasonable that a game of this magnitude takes some time to learn. At least I hope so.
    Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Yeah, I'm trying. But I'm also feeling very lost. I don't even know how to chat properly and ask for in game help. But I agree with you, exploration takes time. I fully intend to mutter discontentedly through all of it.
    Tobiz wrote: »
    Maybe you should spend some time just exploring and give it some time. It would seem reasonable that a game of this magnitude takes some time to learn. At least I hope so.

• Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Tobiz wrote: »

Yes. This.

This should be in a big flashing box on my first screen. Thanks.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keen Eye is a skill in every crafting tree.

Tbh, I don't remember the details about quest markers. I'm not in the game yet (3 day early access), and I didn't use them much in the beta because I like to just run around and bump into things as I go. So I'll leave it to someone with more recent experiences. I would recommend following Tobiz's advice: give yourself some time to figure it out. I didn't truly get the grasp of the game until my second beta, but it felt very natural afterwards.

As for the chat, pay attention to the word before the message box. It should say zone: or say: or whatever, so you know which channel you're on.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 30, 2014 3:28PM
  • Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    StuppyJoe wrote: »
    Yes. This.

You're welcome, but I take it you didnt check my first link. If you did you would have seen the link to chat and grouping there as well.

edit typo
    Edited by Tobiz on March 30, 2014 3:34PM
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    Press enter to enter chat window. You start off in the localized "say" which only speaks to people around you. Typing /zone will allow you to speak throughout the entire zone you're in, and is a good place to ask questions. To revert back to say, type /Say.
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Yes. This.

You're welcome, but I take it you didnt check my first link. If you did you would have seen the link to chat and grouping there as well.

edit typo[/quote]

I did check it. I wanted that info in a huge flashing box when I first entered the city. What did appear when I first arrived was one sentence that vanished after I read three words. I realise that I am unreasonably frustrated here, I'm used to knowing how to do everything. I'll get over it. Help appreciated.

• StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Osi wrote: »
    Press enter to enter chat window. You start off in the localized "say" which only speaks to people around you. Typing /zone will allow you to speak throughout the entire zone you're in, and is a good place to ask questions. To revert back to say, type /Say.

AHA! That's why my questions are white not...Idk, what is it, 'tan', 'camel'? thanks.
  • Farduumkharis

i hope you've got Hooked & have still been playing all these years!

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow. The mother of Necro posts. You got me.
    Edited by maxjapank on May 29, 2019 6:23AM
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to eso.

To chat we have chat commands; /say this allows you to say something that will be seen in your immediate environment by other payers
    That are standing close to your character.

/zone will allow you to speak in zone chat.
    / g1 / g2 / g3 / g4 /g5 will allow you to chat in your guild chat. You can join upto 5 guilds hence why there is a number corresponding to each guild you belong to.
    We now have a guild finder. To use guild finder simply use G key and browse through guilds.

If you wish to talk to someone you meet in the world the you can stand near them and a wheel will come up with options to talk to them, trade or duel them.

M will open up you map and on your map you will see different icons, simply move your curser over these icons and they will tell you what each one is. There is a chest icon for the bank and one for crafting area etc...
    There are 2 trainers that can train you in your crafts ...you will find one in a mages guild in your main city and one in the fighters guild in main city. You can train in all 7 crafts on every character if you wish to do so.
    To use a crafting station go to crafting area then to crafting station and press e...

We do not have a general auction house but we do have trading guilds and you can join a trading guild if you wish to sell items
    that other players may find useful. You dont have to join a trading guild to buy items from them and there are many guid vendors you can purchase items from in the world...all over Tamriel. If you look in your map you will see the guild vendor itms. The bigger trading guilds are in the main cities but you find other smaller ones around which are worth looking at too.

As a beginner I suggest you first get familiar with a big city and visit the mages guild and join it so when you find lore books in the world you get credit for them and get mages guild rep which opens up skills . Also join the fighters guild. Doing dolmens around Tamriel will credit you with fighters guild rep which also opens up skills. Another good group to join is the undaunted as they intdoduce you to dungeons and also go and visit the outlaws refuge.

You can pick pocket npcs and then fence items in the outlaws refuge.

Another helpful bit of information is to explore tamriel and pick up skyshards as they give you skill points which you can then buy your skills with. 3/3 skyshards equals 1 skill point. You also find skyshards in delves so they are worth doing and fun too.

You can open chests you find around tamriel so keep any lockpicks you find in your bag. The chests contain gold and gear. There are simple, intermmediate, advanced and master chests. Master chests contsin purple or epic gear. It takes a bit of practice to open locks but its fun and not hard to get good at it. Just listen out for those tumblers shake.

You can purchase bag spaces from backpack merchants in cities and you can feed your horse in a stable. Feeding your horse will add either speed, stamina or capacity to your mount. To use your mount press U the H to pick your mou t from your own mount inventory. You can start using a mount as early as level 1 if you own one or you can get a free mount at level 10.

Your bank is account wide so anything that is not character bound can be accessed by any of your characters via your bank.

Npcs with icons above their heads will usually be quest givers. Just talk to them znd once they give you accept their quest you can press j to open your journam and m to show shere the quest takes you on your map so it tracks that quest for you.

At level 15 you get a second weapon bar and you can allocate a key to bar swap. You can bar swap in combat. You have 1 bar which is called your front bar and bar 2 is called the back bar.

At level 10 you can do dungeons . To use dungeon finder press p and there you can queue up for a random dungeon or even pick a specific dungeon.

For pvp press L to go to the campaign menu. There is a training quest you can do in cyrodill.

To get around tamriel there are wayshrines which worlk like portals. These are free if you transport from one wayshrine to another. You can transport to a wayshrine if you are not near one but it will cost you gold.

The harborage quests are great fun and they reward you with 1 skill point for each quest. These are solo quests. You can also do the main questline for your faction too which I recommend as it connects yiu to your factions lore.

There is so much more I could add but i dont want to spam.

One more thing. If you like addons i suggest downloading minion...its an engine where you can download eso addons and also update them with minimum of fuss. I love my minion. If you dont like addons then no worries.
    There is also Esoui you may lime to use that one too.

Welcome to eso and the forums and may you have many happy adventures traveller 😊😊😊

Edited by wishlist14 on May 29, 2019 7:52AM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the OP was last active on this forum in May, 2014, I don’t think it’s going to be useful to advise him. ;)

But I, too, nearly wrote a detailed post offering beginner tips...until I realized this was a necro’d thread.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DarcyMardin It is too 😂😂😂...I feel like a goose lol Like talking to a ghost from the past. 2014 ..
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol
    Edited by zaria on May 29, 2019 12:25PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there were gnomes but they all disappeared during battle of the red mountain.
  • Pronto
    Pronto
    How do I chat? /1, enter? My questions are in white and seem to be ignored so I suspect that I'm 'saying' not 'chatting'.
    1. /say is chatting in your general vicinity, usually this is used when you are trying to speak someone or a group of people who are directly next to you (you can see them), but you don't necessarily know them.
    2. /yell is the same as /say but the general area that others can see it is wider.
    3. /whisper is directly messaging someone, only you and the person receiving your whisper can see the message
    4. /zone is messaging across the entire region, not the entire world. For example, if you are in Stonefalls, Glenumbra, or Auridon, the people you see talking in zone are the people who are in that region at the time.
    5. /g1-5 is your guild chat. This is where you can chat with people in your guild, and only people in your guild can see those messages. You can join up to 5 guilds, and based on the order in which you joined that guild, they will be assigned g1, g2, g3, g4, g5.
    How do I find a quest on the map? I'm totally lost.
    When you join or accept a quest, press M to open up your map. There is a distinctive marker for main quests which is hard to describe, but the regular side quests are white arrows. Some quests might require you to travel to different regions. An easy way to figure out where the marker might have on is to press 'J' to open up your quest log, click on your required quest, and on the bottom it should say press 'X button' to show on map (I think the button is M but I'm not sure). This will then open the map to the region of your map that the quest is located.
    What's with crafting, can I do all professions? Can I disenchant items? How do I find plants etc. out in the world? (I only found one and it was entirely accidentallly, I moused over it, as far as the screen looked it was just black.
    Crafting is really fun and I highly recommend you level up all professions because you can make a lot of money from it. Instead of explaining everything I'm just going to say to go to Stonefalls if you're EP, Glenumbra if you're DC, and Auridon in AD and look for the crafting certification quests located on the boards near the crafting areas of those towns. Those quests will teach you how to gather materials, craft items, deconstruct or disenchant items, and research items of all crafting professions way quicker than if I explained it here.

Materials and plants are all over the world but they are hard to see at first. When you begin leveling crafting there are passives in each skill that allow crafting nodes to light up and make them really noticeable.
    How do I cook?
    You can go to taverns in almost any region and buy recipes from cooks (for food) and brewers (for drinks). Provisioning materials are often found in barrels, baskets all around the world and in dungeons. Loot everything. You can learn how to cook when you do the crafting certifications as mentioned above.
    How do I invite people to a player guild (at this stage, it is a guild for the mutually confused....).
    If you have made a guild for yourself and looking to invite more, press "G" to open up the guild menu, and at the bottom it should say "Press 'X button' to invite to Guild" (I don't remember what the exact button is so you'll have to check). Then it will prompt you to type the @name of the person you want to invite.
    Is there an auction house equivalent?
    There is no universal auction house, but there are Guild stores. I recommend you join at least 1 or 2 trading guilds for this. Trading guilds are often dedicated to making money, are full of hundreds of players that require you to pay dues in order to afford a really good trader location (it is worth it). Guild stores allow you to post items you want to sell and other guild members will be able to buy those items, or anyone outside your guild who goes to your guild trader can buy those items.
    Most importantly, where are the gnomes?
    They're called Wood Elves around these parts and are primarily located in Grahtwood, Greenshade, and Malabal Tor.

Pronto Padfoot - Bosmer Stamina Nightblade (AD)
    Pronto Greenfoot - Bosmer Stamina Warden (AD)
    Pronto Firefoot - Bosmer Stamina Dragonknight (AD)
    -Pronto - Bosmer Stamina Nightblade (AD)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Necro'd thread from 2014; op probably won't notice at this point.