The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Problem with Siege Weapons - can't place

Magenpie
Magenpie
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all

I joined Cyrodiil for the first time yesterday and for some reason I can't place siege weapons. I have the correct faction weap in a quickslot, but when I try and place it, I only ever get the red circle with a cross, or a yellow circle. I have my quickslot bound to 'R', so I click 'R' and I assume I have to click 'R' again to place the siege engine. This doesn't happen.

If anyone can help me I'd be really grateful. I want to join in and do my bit, and the seige engines are so fun. I hope I can sort it out.

Many thanks in advance.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Two things come to mind.

1.) You're not placing it in a good location. Siege is a bit strict on placement, the area has to be flat and not too close to other siege. The bigger the siege, the more space it needs. For example, two ballista can be fairly close to each other. However, a meatbag and and a ballista would need more space apart from each other. I just run around like an idiot until I find a spot for my siege to fit.

2.) Over the siege limit. It doesn't happen often, but in a good fight or during pvp events you might find there is just too many down. Siege doesn't have a long lifespan though so it shouldn't take too long for a spot to open up. Just keep trying.
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaisyRay wrote: »
    Two things come to mind.

1.) You're not placing it in a good location. Siege is a bit strict on placement, the area has to be flat and not too close to other siege. The bigger the siege, the more space it needs. For example, two ballista can be fairly close to each other. However, a meatbag and and a ballista would need more space apart from each other. I just run around like an idiot until I find a spot for my siege to fit.

2.) Over the siege limit. It doesn't happen often, but in a good fight or during pvp events you might find there is just too many down. Siege doesn't have a long lifespan though so it shouldn't take too long for a spot to open up. Just keep trying.

Thanks so much for trying to help me and for taking the time to respond. I do occasionally get the 'you're too close to other seige engine messages' and so run about a bit. What's weird is that I get the red crossed circle and the message telling me the terrain isn't flat enough as well.

I've tried to test it when I'm on my own as well, and still no luck. Maybe I should try and take some pics. I don't suppose it could be an addon problem or something?

My game can sometimes be a little odd anyway. I haven't rigourously empirically tested this problem, but for example, in Blackwood there's a bench outside the fighters guild opposite the crafting area. When I log in to do my daily writs, I can sit on the bench but if I then interact with the Bank door after I've done my writs, I can't sit on the bench anymore. Utterly unimportant I know, but I do wonder what other foibles my game has.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken some pics

On flat ground no where near other engines.

gNH5xaF.jpg

I do get the error message about being to near or not being on flat terrain.

wLCJr7x.jpg

So frustrating

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    game performance...when the game performance deteriorates i'm also unable to place siege...

rather - i can still place siege, it just might take me like 10 tries...really frustrating when a group shows up at a keep and you need to start pouring oil to get them off the ram...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    You don't press your quickslot again to place it. When you get the yellow circle, you left click your mouse to place it.

Then sit very still while you set it up because if you move it will cancel the placement.

I just learned this a couple days ago myself :)

(Just saw this thread is a few days old so you probably figured it out but maybe this will help someone else.)
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't press your quickslot again to place it. When you get the yellow circle, you left click your mouse to place it.

Then sit very still while you set it up because if you move it will cancel the placement.

I just learned this a couple days ago myself :)

(Just saw this thread is a few days old so you probably figured it out but maybe this will help someone else.)

Hi @Marronsuisse :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help me. I did eventually work it out - having 'Quick Cast Ground Abilities' set to 'Automatic' in the Gameplay settings was preventing me from placing the siege weaps. I just had to switch it to 'On' and it was fine.

Took me ages to work it out! x)

Thanks again for taking the time. o/
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you worked it out! I would never have thought to look at that setting.