Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Receiving whispers from opponent during a ToT match on PS4- how?

LocoHotCocoa
LocoHotCocoa
Soul Shriven
So I was playing a Tribute match today on PS4. I started getting odd pop ups in the top right corner saying something along the lines of I couldn't start a tribute match because I was already in one. Then, the game got really glitchy, and at the end of the match my screen hard froze for about 10 seconds. When I came back, I had close to 10 whispers from my opponent that were commenting on plays in the match, and seem to have been sent while we were playing. I asked them how they whispered me during our match and they replied "idk". The whole thing seems odd, I haven't been able to replicate it myself and don't know how they could be messaging me during a tribute match, but I am also concerned because it did seem to contribute significantly to lag in the game, and seems like something that could be exploited.
Anyone have any insight?
  • Anne13
    Anne13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Through the psn app on their phone I think
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    @LocoHotCocoa On Xbox you can use a USB keyboard, the start/select buttons bring up the chatbox anywhere, even in ToT. They type /w YourPSN, and the message. It's not a trick, it's part of the game code. I'd imagine your lag was caused separately.
    Edited by LurgidBean on July 28, 2022 3:47PM
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • LocoHotCocoa
    LocoHotCocoa
    Soul Shriven
    @Anne13 I tried using the ps4 second screen app and I couldn't get it to pull up the text window.
    @LurgidBean I've never tried using a usb keyboard, but it probably does function the same on ps4. Thanks for the info :) I have had similar lag cause when friends whispered me and tried inviting me to group, so I am quite confident that it was a direct result of the whispers. I can't stop someone from whispering me, either way, but it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out HOW they did it. Thanks :)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Anne13 I tried using the ps4 second screen app and I couldn't get it to pull up the text window.
    @LurgidBean I've never tried using a usb keyboard, but it probably does function the same on ps4. Thanks for the info :) I have had similar lag cause when friends whispered me and tried inviting me to group, so I am quite confident that it was a direct result of the whispers. I can't stop someone from whispering me, either way, but it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out HOW they did it. Thanks :)

If you appear offline in the game I don't think people can whisper you.

Not sure how much it bothered you, but through I'd point that out.

I do it often in PvP so I don't get streams of salt from certain people.
  • LocoHotCocoa
    LocoHotCocoa
    Soul Shriven
    @Brrrofski thanks for the tip! I didn't think of that.