The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sustain magic sorcerer

Quethrosar
Quethrosar
✭✭✭✭
so in my fights i have rotation of basically keeping unstable wall down, weaving light attack and crushing shock until shards is instant castable. structured entropy is my dot because i like the heal me part of it. i have inner light as passive. i keep critical surge up. I added bound armaments for the 10% to LA. Use fighter guild ultimate on front bar to keep passive damage bonus.
i use light attack addon to make sure i am weaving my la and crushing shock.

Now the problem is i am good for 500,000 damage or so, but then i am always fighting for more magic. just weaving la and crushing shock can drain me out fast. I watched videos where people's magica lasts forever. I don't understand what i did wrong. is there such a thing as weaving too fast?

magic is over 30k from witches drink with magic regen. regen on necklace. all light armor. maybe i need to use a potion on boss fights before the boss?
i have the dark conversion which i use to help with this.

Even though i feel like i have sustain issues i am still able to do ~40% of the damage on vet bosses at least if it's not my first time there lol.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Minor Magickasteal? Elemental Drain applies it and helps sustain. Players also rely on group buffs like Orbs, Symphony of Blades, Worm's Raiment, and Hollowfang. For solo you can try Ghastly Eyebowl instead of Witchmother's, but it will make your health low.

Hybridization has been very nice for sustain. If you use a stamina skill like Bound Armaments or Barbed Trap that gives your magicka a break to regen between casts of Wall and Crushing Shock.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How high is your Magicka regen number? SOLO or in 4manGroups you should have over 1800, 2000 is better. Fully buffed ofc.
    And how high is your Stam regen. If you are at 600 to 800, you can easily sustain a Stam DoT (Hurricane comes to mind) instead of one of your costly Magicka DoTs, while having enough left over for blocking, dodging, etc.
    Also, there are CP, that help with sustain.
    And at least on Bosses you should make an effort to have a 100% uptime on Major Intellect, via the Potion in combination with the medicinal use passive from the Alchemy crafting tree.
    Most DoTs have "less damage, easier on sustain" morph option, maybe that's for you.
    Heavy attacks on Off Balance enemies return double resources. So, if you interrupt with Crushing Shock, throw in a heavy attack, maybe?
    And list all your DoT options (including morphs) and calculate their damage per second, Magicka cost per second and then damage per Magicka point. You know, make a little Excel chart. That will help to decide which DoTs to drop and which to use instead.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on July 27, 2022 1:00PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • starkidsc
    starkidsc
    Soul Shriven
    Without heavy attacks, Magsocs are Yuk sustain-wise.

Yet I've not seen any feedback on magsorcs from people that main a mag sorcs from the PTS.

Seen stuff from Templar, NB's, and DKs but the biggest effect as without it we have no real sustain on these changes is Mag Sorcs but its been silient.

Stam socs have been the go-to for many as StamSorc has been a better class for a while over magSorc.

Are there any Magsoc mains on PTS?? Hell is there a DEV that plays Magsorc? That has raised the issue of heavy attacks and light attacks being a heavy requirement of our builds and the fact there has been a number of nerfs to heavy attack sets and now with this change we may as well delete the Magsorc class altogether?/
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quethrosar wrote: »
    so in my fights i have rotation of basically keeping unstable wall down, weaving light attack and crushing shock until shards is instant castable. structured entropy is my dot because i like the heal me part of it. i have inner light as passive. i keep critical surge up. I added bound armaments for the 10% to LA. Use fighter guild ultimate on front bar to keep passive damage bonus.
    i use light attack addon to make sure i am weaving my la and crushing shock.

Now the problem is i am good for 500,000 damage or so, but then i am always fighting for more magic. just weaving la and crushing shock can drain me out fast. I watched videos where people's magica lasts forever. I don't understand what i did wrong. is there such a thing as weaving too fast?

magic is over 30k from witches drink with magic regen. regen on necklace. all light armor. maybe i need to use a potion on boss fights before the boss?
    i have the dark conversion which i use to help with this.

Even though i feel like i have sustain issues i am still able to do ~40% of the damage on vet bosses at least if it's not my first time there lol.
    It’s not your fault. Game developers and combat team keep it that way. Unless you are Breton you will have sustain issues. You need to heavy attack as part of rotation and try using pets or add few stamina skills in between . While nerfing shields sorc sustain hit pretty bad. There is no way mage sorc can sustain spamming skills.

If possible just quit mage sorc and level up Nightblade. Mage sorc is not a way to play eso. It’s dead class. Any class is better than a mage sorc. You will definitely regret playing mage sorc like many people already did.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on July 27, 2022 10:45PM
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had magsorc as my main for trials HM. Magsorc with 2 pets had good sustainability, if you use pots for major sorcery and prophecy. I toke synergies rarely when I got bahsei mania becaus of it.

I didn't see any mention of pets and Daedric Prey in your post. That is one source of your problem probably.
    Other point would be using spell power pots for end game content, magicka pots, if you dont need full power and Dark Conversion for everything else.

However, I didn't respond here before, because magsorc is dead now. I hope, that it will be playable one day again, but not now.
    Edited by Elendir2am on July 28, 2022 1:05PM
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i guess my problem is i am not going to go and change up what i like for a situation. I want to be generic enough to be usable in all situations, but maybe not perfect for all. So far i feel good about it. started playing with crystal weapon for some stamina use. using hurricane morph for stamina there, also the whole time it's 15% faster, not just a few seconds.

I hate running with pets, they do junk dps and i can have more toys on my bar without them. when i used matriarch, i would for the heals not the damage.

to me a sorcerer is about big 1 shot kills. wizards are nukers.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have very little experience with magsorc, and my main has always been a magplar. However some things I found in a general way useful for sustain, and they are:
    1. Breton as race
    2. Some sustain friendly sets, even if they are not so damage friendly, I feel more confortable with Overwhelming or Withered Hand
    3. HA often, and this is way more easy with a lightning staff
    4. insert some stam skill, like Barbed Trap
    5. Some CP are useful for sustain. Easy to find them
    6. Use potions to regen, not necessarily when starting a fight, even if you miss that damage boost.

Now, with the damage reduction, sustain too is more difficult. Cannot be helped :(
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right now, if your sorc is a Dark Elf or a Khajiit, flip him into a stam sorc. Better damage and better sustain.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, if your sorc is a Dark Elf or a Khajiit, flip him into a stam sorc. Better damage and better sustain.

Even High Elf can perform well as stam sorc, and Bosmer, Imperial, Redguard and Orc aren't bad. Crystal Weapon is just too good to pass up, at least until its 35% nerf in a few weeks. Hopefully mag sorc will be closer again when the patch hits.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even High Elf can perform well as stam sorc, and Bosmer, Imperial, Redguard and Orc aren't bad. Crystal Weapon is just too good to pass up, at least until its 35% nerf in a few weeks. Hopefully mag sorc will be closer again when the patch hits.

Well, i guess we can hope. They announced further changes for weeks four and five. I still hope for the best.

@Quethrosar Don't know, if that is something for you:
    I played with Oakensoul this patch. 2pets Razor Caltrops (Lightning Flood in groups) Unstable Wall and Crystal Frags. All on Burning Spellweave and Order's Wrath. Super simple setup, but boy does hit hard for that. I do Solo Overland until vetHM Dungeons, Base Game (4keys every day) and (during freebie week) Dlc for 6 keys. No sustain issues. Not even close.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on July 30, 2022 11:33AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm not too concerned. as long as i do at least 1/3 the damage on a boss i am happy. been over 50% in vet mode , so it can't be that bad.