The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Research Scrolls, 1 Day: reusable or not?

Zells
Zells
✭✭✭
There are two kinds of research scrolls. The kind I'm used to are one-shot deals. During the Zeal of Zenithar event, I received research scrolls that said they had a cooldown timer of 20 hours. (Apparently these are for sale from Rolis Hlaalu before but I never noticed the difference.)

The first time I used the cooldown-type scroll, it subtracted the 1 day from the character's appropriate research times, then the inventory icon grayed out and the spinning cooldown timer began. The next day when I used the same cooldown scroll again, it reduced my timers by one day, but then disappeared entirely like a normal scroll, no cooldown. I used a couple of others at the same time, and they gave me the research time reduction, but then vanished from my backpack. I've got a couple of others - I'm afraid to use them in case it's a bug.

How do the scrolls with cooldown timers work? Is it supposed to be a persistent item that stays in my backpack but they're currently glitched? If they disappear after one use, what does the "cooldown" thing mean?

Thanks!
Tamriel_Tidbits is the home of your daily ESO Memento Mori: https://www.youtube.com/@Tamriel_Tidbits

Best Answers

• Malkorga
    Malkorga
    ✭✭✭
    The research scrolls are a one time use item. You probably had a stack of 2 or more. The timer applies to any further scrolls of that type you have in your inventory. There may have been a visual bug that did not show you the stack amount.

Regards,
    Answer ✓
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ones in login rewards are I think the same as ones that can be bought for crowns. They don't have a cool down, you can use as many as you want in succession until you're out or done with research in that trade.
    The ones that mostly dropped from the Zenithar event are the same as the ones from Rolis. They have a cooldown, so once you have used one, you can't use another for 20 hours or whatever.
    Both are consumed upon use.
    Answer ✓
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I banked up a lot of the free daily reward research scrolls when I did not have a character to use them, then used a bunch quite regularly to reduce research times for a new character. None of them had cool downs, I could use several at a time.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Malkorga wrote: »
    The research scrolls are a one time use item. You probably had a stack of 2 or more. The timer applies to any further scrolls of that type you have in your inventory. There may have been a visual bug that did not show you the stack amount.

That's what it must have been. I must have had two, clicked the "top" one, which was destroyed, and then the timer started for the other one in the slot, which I could then see counting down.

Thank you!

And thanks to the people who explained the "cooldown" part means I can't use another scroll like that one for 20 hours! Also very helpful.
    Tamriel_Tidbits is the home of your daily ESO Memento Mori: https://www.youtube.com/@Tamriel_Tidbits
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I banked up a lot of the free daily reward research scrolls when I did not have a character to use them, then used a bunch quite regularly to reduce research times for a new character. None of them had cool downs, I could use several at a time.

That's because the daily reward research scrolls don't have a cooldown. The research scrolls that dropped from the Zeal event are the same ones that Rolis Hlaalu and Faustina sell, which do have a cooldown.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

That's because the daily reward research scrolls don't have a cooldown. The research scrolls that dropped from the Zeal event are the same ones that Rolis Hlaalu and Faustina sell, which do have a cooldown.

I did get a few of those event scrolls but I must have not used more than one at a time, then.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA