The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why is Vet Maelstrom Arena so dam hard????

r3play81
r3play81
✭✭
The title says it all.. I can beat Normal mode No Problem on my 830cp magica night blade so time to step up to Vet mode right, But after dozens and dozens of tries I can't beat it. Today I died over 50 times on Matriarch Runa (3 ice platforms guy) and just gave up. Why is there not a built in mechanic like "hey you died 25 times trying, lets make this stage a bit easier so you can move on". How are you suppose to gear up if you cant even finish the dam thing, very frustrating.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a matter of learning what to do and when to do it. It is heavily mechanic-driven.

Yes, getting that first clear is challenging, but once that first clear happens, the second one is much easier and gets even easier the more you do it. At first, I found the poison, ice, and final round the most challenging. Oddly, the last round ended up becoming one of the easiest after a few clears.

In the ice round, do not focus on the main target/boss. Kill the ads and interrupting the troll are the two priorities. I think the adds spawn based on boss health which can lead to becoming overwhelmed with incoming damage.

Yes, it is frustrating in the beginning. It is more about survival than damage output. When stress builds, take a break. Good luck.

• r3play81
    r3play81
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    It is a matter of learning what to do and when to do it. It is heavily mechanic-driven.

Yes, getting that first clear is challenging, but once that first clear happens, the second one is much easier and gets even easier the more you do it. At first, I found the poison, ice, and final round the most challenging. Oddly, the last round ended up becoming one of the easiest after a few clears.

In the ice round, do not focus on the main target/boss. Kill the ads and interrupting the troll are the two priorities. I think the adds spawn based on boss health which can lead to becoming overwhelmed with incoming damage.

Yes, it is frustrating in the beginning. It is more about survival than damage output. When stress builds, take a break. Good luck.

I have tried not to focus the boss and deal with the adds first, I always interrupt the troll so he dose not smash the ice but the boss always destroys the 3rd ice sheet when he has 40% or more health then I die in seconds? with no where to stand.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use sigils. It helps until you get better.
    Start on the ice that has the speed boost sigil. Build destro ulti. Dps boss a little and focus adds when they spawn. Then when boss goes red, run to next ice with healing sigil. Take it and do some more dps on boss but focus on adds. When red again then run to last ice. Boss should be like at 40% then. Immediately take the dps boost sigil and the shield one. That's why u leave that ice last. At that point alot of adds spawn who shoot arrows and throw ice at you. The shield sigil reflects them all back to them. Drop destro ulti on boss and watch her melt thanks to damage sigil. Sometimes ulti alone won't quite finish her so during ulti ignore all adds, tab target boss and use spammable. Ezpz
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    r3play81 wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »

I have tried not to focus the boss and deal with the adds first, I always interrupt the troll so he dose not smash the ice but the boss always destroys the 3rd ice sheet when he has 40% or more health then I die in seconds? with no where to stand.

First platform she destroys occurs at around 75% health, second one at 40%/45% if I remember correctly so plan accordingly when to move on. If you lost one already it would be third, not second platform destroyed at second smash. Nasty add spawns following those smashes so better try sigil of defense not long after first area destroyed, like 60% health or so, haste one would also help with repositioning but it's still more about memorising spawns and dealing with all the adds while avoiding ground attacks and breaking free when "feared".
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Use sigils. It helps until you get better.
    Start on the ice that has the speed boost sigil. Build destro ulti. Dps boss a little and focus adds when they spawn. Then when boss goes red, run to next ice with healing sigil. Take it and do some more dps on boss but focus on adds. When red again then run to last ice. Boss should be like at 40% then. Immediately take the dps boost sigil and the shield one. That's why u leave that ice last. At that point alot of adds spawn who shoot arrows and throw ice at you. The shield sigil reflects them all back to them. Drop destro ulti on boss and watch her melt thanks to damage sigil. Sometimes ulti alone won't quite finish her so during ulti ignore all adds, tab target boss and use spammable. Ezpz

This is the exact way I did it when learning it.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stay off of the ice that has 2 sigils on it. That's where you want to fight the final phase. Make sure the troll doesn't break a single ice. He can spawn between rounds. The adds are indeed based on health percentages. If it helps, try to keep your heels on the back edge of the ice when ranged adds are attacking. This forces them to come really close to that platform and are easier to cleave. When you get to the final platform, right as she's breaking the second one, go pop both sigils. They're the dps boost and ranged/defense sigils. The defense sigil will literally reflect all ranged attacks, letting you nuke the boss the rest of the way.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The smashing itself puts a hurt on you, so jump off and head to the next platform a little bit before she actually smashes the one you've been on.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use strategy, Kusto described.
    I will only add, that your strategy change at last platform. You killing adds at first two, but you need burn boss as fast as possible at last.
    It is one of few DPS locks in MA and it is reason, this sub-arena is one of the most difficult in MA ( I rank her second only to the poison arena).
    Edited by Elendir2am on July 25, 2022 9:43AM
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are experiencing what countless have before you. I dies countless times. Read guides. Keep trying. Take a break and come back. If you have the quest you’ll resume where u were.
    At least these days normal drops weapons very nearly as good as vet to use in the mean time.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its hard until it is not. Because its built that way. It might be the only solo content in the game that teaches mechanics in a practical way

From Arenas 5 to the end, its all mechanics. 5 is the hardest arena the first time through. But 7 is much, much worse because of the %^&%*^&% RNG.

Like others have said, there are a lot of guides out there. I found Alcast's to be the most useful. Patience and repetition is the key. One day it will just click

Last bit of advice, get a Magplar with a lightning staff and make it VMA-specific. Lots of magicka, decent health, either heavy-attack or high crit build, with tri-stat food, with Puncturing Sweeps and Radiant Destruction. You need to be mobile, so a lot of AOE's aren't ideal. I found it to be much easier than the sorc builds out there. Consider the Pale Order ring and even Oakensoul.
    Edited by El_Borracho on July 26, 2022 9:51PM
  • Lynxyn
    Lynxyn
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really. It's "hard" in that things that did 0 damage in normal basically one shot you in vet. I've found the best way to do it is on a sorc without pale order. You can run oaken, but I didn't buy high isle so I don't have it. I run 2 PC maw, 5 PC order's wrath body and then 5 PC shalks on jewelry and front bar lightning staff I ran decisive because it was cheap and synergized with shalks and ulti gain from slotting a fighters guild ability. Your ability bars would look something like 2 pets on both bars then front bar: daedric prey, hardened ward, crystal frags and ult is dawn breaker (you never cast it, it's slotted for extra ult gain and 3% weapon and spell power) alternatively you can slot camo hunter over crystal frags for major prophecy and some minor berserk and you can either leave dawnbreaker for the extra spell damage or swap to meteor for the extra max mag and mag regen, either way you never cast these ults. Back bar: crit surge, wall of elements and a flex spot I typically slot mages wrath here to quickly finish off a boss in execute and your preferred morph of atronach. Thief mundus.

Basically the goal of this build is to abuse what oaken soul healers do in pvp where they essentially treat their ult like a basic ability. You're more or less just going to be dropping atronach as soon as you have enough ult (170) as you gain about 150 or so back by the time he dies. This build let's you focus on mechanics and keeping your defenses up while your pets do the vast majority of your damage on your daedric prey target. If you're using the crystal frags build which you use as a spammable you're (obviously) going to want to have alchemy 50 for medicinal use and extra potions per craft and use spell crit pots made using lady's smock, water hyacinth and bugloss. These mats are fairly cheap and restore health, mag and provides spell crit. This is my preferred build because it's let's me deal with enemies who are mechanics such as the little turret guys in arena 4, trolls in arena 5, the webspinners and poison bugs in arena 6, the plague channelers in arena 7, interrupting/killing the fire channelers and healers in stage 8 as well as being able to kill 2 obelisks at once on the final boss, and the ritualist summoners in arena 9. Edit: I forgot to emphasize this, but absolutely make sure on the stage 4 boss you throw daedric prey on and then shield spam until the boss stops moving which will be right around the damage sigil. After that pop the sigil drop your atronach, make sure you refresh prey asap after it falls off and LA weave with crystal frags or heavy attack with your lightning staff if you're not using frags. In arena 8 it's also very important that when a fire mage spawns you run over to him and if he starts channeling the fire circle above his head you spam your shield while walking over to him and then interrupt him. If you're running frags you can kill him while your pets focus the boss or whatever else. Otherwise you could realistically just ignore him as long as you remember to interrupt his casts. This fire mage and the poison caster on the previous arena are the biggest reason I like running frags because it lets me deal with these guys without causing my pets to target swap even when I don't need them to which basically causes your melee pets to run halfway across the arena then turn around and run back when the add inevitably dies before they even reach it. Wasting time they could of been damaging another target. The reason these mechanics are so important especially specifically to a pet sorc is because they do heavy aoe damage that also targets your pets and will kill them if you don't shield spam.

If you were to use the alternative build with camo hunter your "spammable" would be channeling your heavy attack with your front bar lightning staff. This is my least favorite because heavy attacking makes your pets focus that target so your maw and unstable familiar start running across the arena because of the target swap wasting damage. The upside however is that you can run tri pots or trash pots for health or stam. You won't need mag trash pots because since you're heavy attacking almost constantly your mag is basically never able to run dry.

With an oaken build you'd probably run hardened ward, daedric prey, crit surge with both pets or unslotting one of the pets for crystal frags with atronach ult. And instead of shalks which would be redundant anyways especially next patch you'd run something with nice 2-4 piece like mother's sorrow because you absolutely want to keep maw on since you're using a daedric prey focus build and tri/trash pots. If unslotting one of the pets personally I would unslot familiar and keep tormentor because tormentor is ranged and doesn't suffer from a target swap making it run across the arena.

While it can be done on other classes mag sorc is cut and dry the best one for solo arenas especially in vet difficulties where you need to do mechanics while also having DPS. Magblade specifically has high self healing, but the issue is that the class is fairly involved and absolutely requires you to be very good at doing the mechanics while also making sure you're doing damage. The most important thing on matriarch runa is to understand that she has phases based on her health and bursting her generally isn't an option. First and foremost every time a troll spawns it either has to die or be interrupted every time it attempts to break a platform. If the troll breaks one it's a guaranteed wipe. Other than than her attacks are slow and you just have to make sure to break out her fear. Her phases are 90% hp she will spawn adds you can ignore these and burst her down to 75% if you're using an aoe nuke ult like destro ult or charged atronach if not make sure to kill these adds before she breaks the first stage. Her next set of adds are at 60% hp when these spawn and you're using an aoe nuke ult use it to nuke down the combined wave of adds here. She breaks this second platform at 45% hp so absolutely make sure all adds are dead prior to this. Her last set of adds are at 30%. Figure out where the damage sigil spawns (they're in a set position always) and have this be your last platform. When she starts breaking the second plat form run over here use the damage sigil start dpsing her move over the defense sigil which will opposite the damage one on the same platform and use it and then just burn the down the boss as fast as possible ignoring the last set of adds. Once you realize it's not a DPS race and she only does things at specific health percents you can really slow the boss down, make sure the adds are dead and focus on making sure the trolls can't destroy a platform because if they break even 1 you won't have a final platform to stand on and you'll die to the water.

Realistically though why are you doing vet if you're so frustrated with it? The difference between perfected and non perfected is a crappy line of pen on staves and 2h and some crit on the bow. These stats are active for all of like 3 seconds at a time while you're refreshing dots on your back bar and not active on your front bar because you should only be back barring maelstrom weapons. The only arena sets you would front bar would be like brp or vateshran daggers or brp bow. Brp daggers only give stam regen perfected which isn't really that useful unless you're a stam toon and need sustain and while brp bow and vateshran daggers give good crit while front barred as perfected what's more important is the main set effect that you would get from even the normal version. And adding even further onto that the only one of those that's probably actually probably even worth running on a mag toon is brp daggers which has a borderline useless stat line on perfected for a mag toon.

Edit: Woops long post, my bad. I guess a tl;dr is just farm normal the perfected stat line barely if ever makes a difference especially if you're on a mag toon because the only arena sets that are feasible to run on front bar for mag is one that gives stam recovery for it's perfected bonus which is borderline useless.
    Edited by Lynxyn on August 10, 2022 7:47PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there not a built in mechanic like "hey you died 25 times trying, lets make this stage a bit easier so you can move on". How are you suppose to gear up if you cant even finish the dam thing, very frustrating.

What would be the point of getting better if rewards would be just given for participating? As for gearing up You can use non perfected weapons, there is literally barely any difference between these and perfected ones.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to beat it either and I have soloed a couple of the vet group dungeons. My problem is field if view. I can't see everything that I need to fast enough to keep up with it on a mainly melee character. I get stuck on what should be one of the easier ones the giant dwemer spider.
    Edited by Casdha on August 12, 2022 2:27PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    go with a class you know,mag based classes are better to start imo,slot heal and aoe/dot on backbar and fight with front
    sigils are your friends,learn to prioritize the enemies,use 3stat potions and above all no stress,u can do it
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    I have yet to beat it either and I have soloed a couple of the vet group dungeons. My problem is field if view. I can't see everything that I need to fast enough to keep up with it on a mainly melee character. I get stuck on what should be one of the easier ones the giant dwemer spider.

When you run it on normal, try to remember where the spawn points are for enemies. Will help you set up in vet so you aren't running around each arena burning stamina. EDIT: This is especially true on the last arena with the Narkynaz, a relatively weak add that makes the arena much harder if ignored

The spider is a perfect example. Pay attention to when and where the sentries spawn and focus on those first. The spider always drops in the same location, right near the weapon power sigil. USE IT. The mechanics on the spider are similar to Darkshade 2. You need to stay under or in the spider's aura to kill it until it goes aggro, then get away. Rinse-repeat.

Until you beat VMA, you feel like you have to rush to put out as much damage as possible.. Slow down, don't burn out your resources, and focus on mechanics. Because when you get to Arena 4 and above, mechanics are all that matter
    Edited by El_Borracho on August 15, 2022 5:09PM
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    The title says it all..
    ...................after dozens and dozens of tries I can't beat it. Today I died over 50 times on Matriarch Runa (3 ice platforms guy) and just gave up. ................
    very frustrating.

Same

:(
    :'(
    :s

I have read all the answers, thanks, I will try to follow all your advices

;)
    Edited by Gandalf_72 on January 10, 2023 5:35PM
    PC | EU
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vMA is how you learn to play your char for real.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks have already given great advice here so I'll just add this: my first clear took over a week of picking it up and putting it down. I was frustrated and wanted to chuck my controller at the screen so don't get down on yourself. Second clear was 2 days then one, then a few hours. Now I'm at roughly 45 mins. You can do it. It will make you a much, much, better player and it will give you lots of confidence to do other vet content. Before that I hadn't touched any. Since then Ive beaten every vet trial with a top time of 45 mins for vdsr. Don't let it get you down 🙂
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first runs in VMA are a mix of tears, blood and desperation but trust me, don't give up! In a couple of months you'll beat it easly and in another couple of months you'll face it with the weirdest builds ever to increase the challenge ;)
    PC-EU
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Gandalf_72 the Matriarch is the boss where everything tends to click. It teaches you what adds to focus, what order to kill them in, and that while DPS is important, mechs are more important. Arenas 5, 6, and 7 are the 3 most difficult.

6 is harder than 5 unless you apply what you learned from 5: which adds are the most dangerous, what are the mechanics, and how do you use both to defeat the boss. Keeping all but one of the pillars clear until the final boss is the most important mechanic in there.

7 is by far the most aggravating. But its the same thing. Focus the dangerous adds (the archers), avoid the GD flowers (an RNG nightmare), and obey the mechanics on the boss with the mages.

9 is a culmination of all of these. The adds are the real problem on the final stage. If you ignored the Narkynaz they can make the final boss very difficult. While a lot of DPS does make the final stage easier, ignoring mechanics or pushing your limits on the upstairs level is how most players die.

Finally, ignore your score. Use the sigils.
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all
    PC | EU
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it took me roughly a year (on and off) trying to finish vMA the first time, once i had a toon that worked good for survivability and dmg it wasnt too bad

once you get an idea of the general mechanics, it makes it significantly easier

i personally found arenas 5 and 7 to be the hardest, the 6th was only hard until you figure out how to avoid the spiders lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014