The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Permafrost should apply a different Major buff

OnGodiDoDis
OnGodiDoDis
✭✭✭
I'm here to discuss a skill that is rarely seen in PvP anymore. Mostly because there are only like 3 wardens out there, including me. We all know that this skill applies an AoE Major Protection to allies. It's good for making them more tanky when pushing into tight spaces. However, it falls behind in open-field battles. I would like to point out that while the Major Protection is a great defensive buff, it is already widely available to all players. It can be obtained by slotting Flare or by the Relentlesness CP star. This makes Permafrost and its morphs futile. They're applying a buff that 99% of the PvP community already has. This is the main reason I do not run this skill on my healer, and stick with Healing Thicket instead. I would like Permafrost to apply the non-existent Major Toughness buff. Right now, the go-to ultimate for a support Warden build is Trees. There is just no debate that a healing ultimate is more powerful than a measly 10% damage reduction. Allies don't need mitigation when they're at 20% health, they need to not be at 20% health. We already have classes that stack similar buffs. Magplar stacks Major and Minor Sorcery. NB is going to be able to stack Major and Minor Cowardice. DK stacks Major and Minor Brutality. Why not let the Warden stack Major and Minor toughness? Ultimates should feel powerful, and Permafrost feels lackluster. I want Wardens to feel the same way that Necros feel when they drop a Colossus, knowing they're going to get atleast 3 kills, but in a defensive way, knowing that popping my Permafrost is going to greatly help my allies survive. You could make it so that it functions as an uber version of Arctic Blast, with the HoT and burst heal to the caster. It can heal allies and any ally healed gets the Major Toughness for as long as they are in the area. There are way stronger healing ultimates out there (Templar) that I don't think this should be considered overpowered.
Edited by OnGodiDoDis on July 22, 2022 3:06AM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Others suggested Major Brittle, maybe that would be OP for PvE but it would be neat for PvP. One morph giving that, the other giving Major Toughness would be a nice boost for this Ult in PvP. Although I'm all for Nunatak getting a tune-up too.

Major Protection on this Ult was more powerful before Flare gave it passively and when Undeath wasn't ubiquitous as it is now.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And let's not forget that Major Protection used to be 30% damage reduction rather than 10%.

This ultimate was never compensated for the enormous loss of power during the Great Buff Nerf of 2020.

Bolstering Darkness is in a similar boat - though it is objectively much worse off.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Others suggested Major Brittle, maybe that would be OP for PvE but it would be neat for PvP. One morph giving that, the other giving Major Toughness would be a nice boost for this Ult in PvP. Although I'm all for Nunatak getting a tune-up too.

Major Protection on this Ult was more powerful before Flare gave it passively and when Undeath wasn't ubiquitous as it is now.

major brittle for pve wouldn't be too op as it would effectively share the same spot as major force. and that should be something reserved for northern storm or icy rage to give more incentive to use those 2 damage ultimate morphs in pve.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on July 22, 2022 6:49PM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

major brittle for pve wouldn't be too op as it would effectively share the same spot as major force. and that should be something reserved for northern storm or icy rage to give more incentive to use those 2 damage ultimate morphs in pve.

Hmm yeah Icy Rage, not a bad idea to make it open to all classes as Minor Brittle is now. On the other hand for PvP I'd rather it be on Northern Storm for the extra Chilled chance on Glacial Presence, although it depends how Arctic Wind and/or Winter's Revenge shake out next patch whether we even really need more chance to apply Chilled.

At least one of the Winter's Embrace CCs is pretty much a necessity for trying to use Nunatak right now. I haven't used Crystal Slab very much since it got the stun on it, I've definitely been stunned by it though.

And yeah great point @YandereGirlfriend , that's probably a big reason this Ult dropped off in popularity.

Hard to beat Ice Comet right now though, bursty as this patch is. Much more easily blocked than Dawny sure but also much more fun, to me.

Edited by Urzigurumash on July 22, 2022 8:30PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmm yeah Icy Rage, not a bad idea to make it open to all classes as Minor Brittle is now. On the other hand for PvP I'd rather it be on Northern Storm for the extra Chilled chance on Glacial Presence, although it depends how Arctic Wind and/or Winter's Revenge shake out next patch whether we even really need more chance to apply Chilled.

At least one of the Winter's Embrace CCs is pretty much a necessity for trying to use Nunatak right now. I haven't used Crystal Slab very much since it got the stun on it, I've definitely been stunned by it though.

And yeah great point @YandereGirlfriend , that's probably a big reason this Ult dropped off in popularity.

Hard to beat Ice Comet right now though, bursty as this patch is. Much more easily blocked than Dawny sure but also much more fun, to me.

northern barely gets any increase out of glacial presence's chilled application bonus as it's an aoe dot. tbh at base, sleet storm should always apply chilled instead of just permafrost.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

northern barely gets any increase out of glacial presence's chilled application bonus as it's an aoe dot. tbh at base, sleet storm should always apply chilled instead of just permafrost.

Agree with this or maybe make base ability apply chilled after like 3 ticks and then permafrost gets a guaranteed when targets into the area
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »

Agree with this or maybe make base ability apply chilled after like 3 ticks and then permafrost gets a guaranteed when targets into the area

as it's an underperforming ultimate, guarenteed chilled is fair.