Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

high dps using mouse or controller?

Quethrosar
Quethrosar
✭✭✭✭
very curious what these ubers are using.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for high DPS players, but I think you have way more control over the game with keyboard and mouse as you have greater key binding options available to you like being able to bind your Light/Heavy Attack to places in addition to your pointer/trigger helps a lot. That second or a third location to press for Light/Heavy Attack makes weaving easier if you need fast pace transitioning. For me its where ever my index fingers can reach so not only is it the mouse click but also #1 on my keyboard and again at Z.

I play with a controller when playing solo, but switch over to mouse and keyboard when its serious play as there are more comfortable and quicker access setups. With a controller I can have up to 26 key binds, though not all of them are comfortable to hit its just possible to do that many; there may be more I dunno.

For starters I use a PS4 Controller and a Razer Naga mouse
    campaigns-left-handed-naga-og-image.jpg

I'm Ambidextrous, but primarily left handed so I have things in reverse and actually find it difficult to move with the keyboard so my movement is bound to the mouse.

Keyboard:
    1 - Light/Heavy Attack
    2, 3, Q, W E - Action Bar
    A - Quickslot
    S - Environment Interact
    D - Weapon Swap
    Z - Light/Heavy Attack
    X - Ultimate
    C - Synergy

Mouse:
    Mouse Clickers are default Light/Heavy Attack, Block, Bash.
    MouseWheel Press - Move Forward/Auto run, steer with the mouse.
    MouseWheel scroll down - Roll Dodge
    MouseWheel scroll up - Jump
    MouseButton 4 - Crouch
    Mouse Button 5 - Mount
    Thumbpad:
    1,2,3,4,6 - Action Bar
    5 - Environment Interact
    7 - Weapon Swap
    8 - Ultimate
    9 - Quickslot
    10 - Strafe Right
    11 - Back Pedal
    12 - Strafe Left

When using controller, its more simple when doing dailies or solo play.
    L1 - Sprint/modifier key
    L2 - Block
    R1 - Jump
    R2 - Light/Heavy Attack
    L1 + R1 - Roll Dodge
    Square, Triangle, Circle, Left Direction Key, Right Direction Key - Action Bar
    Cross - Environment Interact
    L1 + Triangle - Command Pet
    L1 + Cross - Synergy
    Up Direction Key - Toggle Quests
    Up Direction Key HOLD - Player Interact
    Down Direction Key - Ultimate
    Down Direction HOLD - Ultimate for my Werewolves/Vampires/Necros
    Left Joystick Press - Mount
    Left Joystick HOLD - Crouch
    Right Joystick Press - Weapon Swap
    Right Joystick HOLD - Open Map
    Share Button - Quickslot
    Playstation Button opens Steam

I think that's everything combat related. There's other stuff, but they're not combat related or are still on default settings.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on July 21, 2022 7:25AM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i mainly play on console, but do have a pc too. I honestly just think its what you are used to. On console I hit about 108k (was higher by about 10k until the cp nerfs). Using keyboard on pc on the same build I hit about 95k, but if I swap to controller I get back to roughly my console values. I'm sure for people who are more used to keyboard and mouse it would be the other way round
    Soupy twist
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know plenty of players getting high DPS using either/or. If you were to ask me, I would say use a keyboard, but at the same time I know players that use a controller on PC doing more damage than me and I have high DPS, so it's really up to you.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know some people who won't play with keyboard and mouse even on PC and they do just fine. Others moving from PC to controller find it difficult as there are various button combinations, such as needing to hold block in order to do a roll dodge. It's very much what you're used to.

As the post above also mentioned, keyboard and mouse also have way more options for stuff. Especially with Razer using Hypershift, so you can effectively make one key do multiple things depending on whether you have Hypershift toggled or not. I can make the Q key either drink a potion or become my ultimate key. Bearing in mind, Windows' keys also include function keys higher than F12, so you need not worry about running out of keybinds standard to your keyboard. I also use a keypad for most stuff in ESO, just because it's more comfortable for me.

j06ws7n51o9r.png

The block formation took a bit of getting used to over the usual offset formation of a normal keyboard, and obviously the size of your hand is something to take into consideration.

Mine is set up as 01-05 are your 1-5 ability keys. 06 is Tab, 07 is Q, etc. I skip CapsLock, instead row 11 is Shift, A, S, D, F. 16 is push to talk (F16), Z, X, C. The small circular button on the side is Alt, which I use for roll dodge, arrow keys on the D-Pad which I don't use are instead Tab Target cancel (in all directions), and then 20 is jump.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    The very first time I noticed a huge increase in damage was years ago, about the time I linked nightblade surprise attack to the mouse wheel up scrolling. I could see for the first time how fast skills could be reapplied while slowly moving the wheel, then started adding light attacks from there. The mouse wheel seems more forgiving than a static on/off button since you can move it over a length of time, and if you begin moving it too early it’s no big deal because it will register the attack a few milliseconds later, the exact moment whenever the global cooldown for the next input is finished
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on July 21, 2022 5:03PM
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, average player- I get clears but not trifectas in trials! I get about 70K DPS on a trial dummy (no kilt)! I clear vMA and vVH fairly often.

I use the classic Naga Hex actually, because the button shape is 'round', and I can just use my thumb and hit 1-5 and my ult and bar swap are on 6 and 7.

zujdblcbfc8r.png

However, I have known plenty of high performing players use a controller and be even better then myself. Its all about learning the game on that set up and getting comfortable with it!
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not matter, I've seen extremely high level of DPS from both mouse and controller users.
    Controller users on PC do struggle with controller UI being poorly integrated, like ready check blocking them from navigating menus and stuff.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use both now. At 45 years old my right shoulder aches when I use the mouse (getting old sucks), So I have started to use a controller for everyday stuff. I can tell you it takes a lot of getting used to.

With m+k I can get over 50k on the 3 mil using some really old overland/crafted gear and the first time I used a controller it dipped to under 30k, lol. But upon subsequent practice I managed to get it to over 40k, so it's really just a matter of muscle memory.

Also you can set the control to "automatic" in settings to switch between m+k and controller so you can still use m+k for addons and the UI which is objectively superior to controller.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    love seeing the different ways everyone plays. I bought the corsair mmo mouse and it helps alot, although i can't easily reach some of the buttons.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Logitech G502
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody will admit it but a lot of players are just using macros.

I don't think there is a good answer because it's very individual. Players who struggle with hand to hand timing for example often move all the attacks to a single hand (many button mouse, or la to keyboard). One nice thing about the game is there are so many ways both to use addons to configure the visuals (except console) and to use the inbuilt rebinding to arrange everything to taste.

You can also do fun stuff like moving the ultimate to a foot pedal or a big red USB missile launcher type button.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are exceptions to every rule, but the vast majority of the best end game players on PC are using a mouse and keyboard. It is objectively a better interface on so many levels. Dont get me wrong, there are people that are brilliant with a controller. Kids these days grew up with an XBOX controller in their hands, and I dont blame people for not wanting to switch. I have used a gamepad mostly for LOLs and tried to make it work. My DPS was garbage.

For me, it doesn't get better than a keyboard and MMO mouse. Razer Naga Trinity is as good as it gets. I also use a Razer Tartarus Pro for my left hand.

For anybody that has ever played shooters on both PC and Console, you will know that that the average time to kill is much lower on PC. Thats because if nothing else, a mouse is better for aiming than a thumbstick. Now precise aiming, isnt that important in ESO, but when you through in the ability to have all your skills, roll dodge, and hotkeys under your thumb, it gets pretty hard to compete. I can do my entire rotation with my right thumb, index finger, and left thumb (i use left thumb for bar swaps, right index for LAs, and right thumb for everything else).
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on July 25, 2022 8:25PM
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    umm i dont think it matters you could do fine on either as there isnt too much holding you back due to lack of need to aim accurately...
    you can hit buttons on either and if button mapping were an option people might prefer either

i play on xbox and i would like to play the game with key and mouse because i just switched to it for most games that allow it on xbox pso2ngs paladins minecraft etc.