Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Changing server without re downloading the entire game?

Rosyra
Rosyra
During the last beta you could simply change the file name but now that doesn't work anymore and it starts re downloading the entire game again just to change servers. Is there any way around this because this is now the third time I've had to download it and there won't be much left of my early access by the time I get online.
  • Puck2
    Puck2
    Well they said in the Q&A that you would get the option upon character creation. And that you can have up to 8 chars on each server. But I didn't get the option. I have no idea which server I'm on (EU or US). I suspect US since they had us change in beta and I have not found a way to change it :(
  • Puck2
    Puck2
    I found it, well someone said in the game chat. The option is in the launcher - the circle to the right of the login screen. Hope I can get my 'special' items on my now EU character.
  • paul1606b16_ESO
    I find it quite staggering that we do indeed need to download the client twice, to be able to play on both servers. It was always mooted during beta that this was not likely to be the case.
  • Tabitha
    Tabitha
    Soul Shriven
    tbh im considering playing on the US servers, EU servers are full of german and french chat which I dont speak sadly! At least in US they speak some sort of english :p
  • eleventeens
    AtriasNaradan has posted Moonrakers solution for this problem below. It works much better than mine does! ;p

Alright, a temporary work-around to switch servers from EU to NA or vice versa. You can still copy your folder and rename it. (EU should be called 'The Elder Scrolls Online EU', NA is 'The Elder Scrolls Online') Once you've done this you will have to change some settings files.

First, locate 'AppSettings.txt' in sub directories /game/client.

If you want to be on EU change the first line to 'SET DepotId "4001"' and the final line to 'SET ChannelName "liveeu"'.
    If you want to be on the NA server first line is 'SET DepotId "4000"' and last line is 'SET ChannelName "live"'.

Secondly, locate 'Platform.xml' in sub directory /game/client. Copy the appropriate xml information from the spoilers below into the file and save it. Note that the semi-colons at the end aren't supposed to be there. You'll have to delete them.

EU
    NA
    Lastly, and most importantly launch via 'eso.exe' in /game/client. Do not use the launcher as that will most likely screw up your install. This should let you play on the appropriate server until you can download the appropriate client or Zenimax sorts this mess out.

Cheers! ^_^
    eleventeens
    Edited by eleventeens on March 31, 2014 4:50PM
  • AtriasNaradan
    AtriasNaradan
    ✭✭✭
    There's actually a better way posted already on one of the other thread. Using this method, i don't need to download 22GB, Here's how:

1. Copy your "The Elder Scrolls Online" Folder ( it should be Elder Scrolls Online EU, if you're changing from EU to NA).

2. Paste it to the same folder. This will result on 2 same Folder name in your Zenimax online, one with word "copy" in the end of it.

3. Delete/add "EU" to the copy.

4. Open Launcher, change server on the setting, and install. This will add some temporary folder and files to the copy folder.

5. Now, pause the install, and open game option. On the drop down, there should be repair option, click it.

6. Wait for it to verify and do some necessary download.

Using that method, it shaved much GB to download, no need for full 22Gb download. It took me 2-3 hours with an average of 500 Kb/s download speed. It seems by repair method, we simply change some files that's different between NA and EU. Now i can play both, just one click away, no more download ;)

All credits goes to Moonraker here :)
  • eleventeens
    Awesome, much better than my work-around!
  • Darkrock
    Darkrock
    ✭✭
    Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail

I got this annoying error yesterday and finally had to do as Zenimax "recommended": Uninstall, restart and reinstall. After 12+ hours of downloading I got the exact same error message. (I play EU normally, but also run a character on the NA server).

Following the Moonraker solution solved nothing. But here eleventeens solution worked wonderfully. So it looks like I'll have to keep doing this every patch until Zenimax can give more helpful advice than 'waste a LOT of unnecessary time downloading the exact same files (save a few that are different) you already have in that other folder!'
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    There is a very simple method to this. It'll take you no longer than 10min to do.

1. Copy "The Elder Scrolls Online" and add EU to the end like so "The Elder Scrolls Online EU"

2. Go into the folder, then access all three subfolders and delete the .version files in there, there is 1 of those files per subfolder. (I'm at work right now, so can't get the full names) The folders will be located right there, you wont have to go any deeper.

3. Go to the game launcher, switch over to EU and if it doesn't automatically repair, click repair manually.

4. This will make a 2 - 10min download depending on your internet, basic broadband speed will take no longer than 5min.
    The launcher will re-download the .version files, but the EU version of them, this will allow the launcher to spot its version and allow you to play once the new .version files are downloaded.

As of this writing I'm at work, so I wont be able to give specifics as the instructions above are off the top of my head.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the folder for Elder scrolls located in your Documents.

When you access your Documents folder Usually under C:/User/<user name>/Documents there will be an Elder Scrolls Folder, in that folder there is a subfolder called "live".

Copy "live" and rename it to "liveeu" and that's that. If you're using Minion manage your mods, you will have to go into Minion, add another Elder Scrolls game (the EU version) and in its preference (for the EU version of the game) choose the path for the add-on, it will be in "liveeu" that you copied and renamed.
    Edited by Jynai on April 17, 2014 10:52AM
  • Sinhalis
    Sinhalis
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what worked for me; didn't have to repair or download any other patches. I think this is cleaner than renaming stuff.

1. Back up the Elder scrolls online directory(ex: eso backup)
    2. Uninstall ESO using the uninstall.exe
    3. Download the installer and re install, select EU/US mega server when asked
    This will now patch up the launcher, create the folder structure and start downloading the game client.
    4. Pause the download and then close the launcher.
    5. Move everything inside the backed up folder in step 1 into the newly created Elder scrolls online folder.
    6. Run the launcher again, it will detect the files and the play option will be available without any further downloading.

Hope this helps.
    Edited by Sinhalis on April 17, 2014 11:06AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it quite staggering that we do indeed need to download the client twice, to be able to play on both servers. It was always mooted during beta that this was not likely to be the case.
    The game is patched at different times in EU and US, one client would require patching at the same time.
    However I agree that the launcher could just copying the existing game to the other folder 95% of the time
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    After messing with it on the NA patch day and not having any luck today i followed a few directions here.

I took @eleventeens‌ advice after coping the fines over again and deleted and edited everything that was posted then when i started the launcher up it wanted to patch everything. If you look at the launcher when its in patch made there is no repair option. So i paused and close the launcher. Restarted it and went into option (it was trying to patch) and clicked cancel and i get a pop up saying its set to auto update then i go back in and click cancel then i clicked repair. After doing that it fired up without a hitch and i was able to login to character creation.

Thanks for the help this has been driving me batty, something so simple should not be such a pain in the arse.
  • Darkrock
    Darkrock
    ✭✭
    I could find no real help online, so when I stumbled on this 'old' thread I hoped including the full error message, and my experience, would let others find a solution, too. I hope Zenimax sees this and puts it in their FAQ... Really!!!
    Edited by Darkrock on April 17, 2014 11:11PM